Monday, April 19, 2010

Meet My-Shell, My "Anchor," My Friend Who's Going to Help Me Lose Weight


An·chor (ngkr)
n.
1. Nautical A heavy object attached to a vessel by a cable or rope and cast overboard to keep the vessel in place either by its weight or by its flukes, which grip the bottom.
2. A rigid point of support, as for securing a rope.
3. A source of security or stability.

************************

Sometimes, I start an eating plan and I hold fast to it. Until someone mentions "Hey, how about lunch at Puerto Vallarta?" --Or "Panera" or "Q Doba" or "Subway" or "Anywhere."

And then I forget who I am, where I live, what I weigh or what I want to weigh. Heck, I even forget I'm married and often find myself proposing to the nachos in front of me.

Or sometimes, I eat off-plan for emotional reasons, like feeling happy, sad, or conscious.

I decided last week that what I need is an "anchor," some tangible object to securely attach me to my goal, so to speak.

And so, to symbolize the goal of having a beach body ready by late June, I've started toting around a shell, which I have dubbed "Myshell" because that is cutesy.

So Myshell sits on my desk at work, on the breakfast bar at home or on the computer desk at home because those are the usual settings for my bouts of flagrant hedonism. And I carry it in my purse, yes I do.

Having an anchor invites questions and doubts.

Jorge saw it and said, "You're not seriously going to cart that thing around with you wherever you go, are you?"

Well, if I wasn't, I would most definitely be after that wet-blanket, doubt-casting remark.

Even my boss stopped by my desk the other day and asked "how the shell is working out." I know he thinks I'm nuts most of the time. He has learned to just go with the flow better than Jorge has.

And so my purse has been a little heavier the last few days. And sometimes my keys get stuck in Myshell or pieces of gum or receipts fall into the crevices.

But it's working so far. When I remember to LOOK at her. It's amazing how soon we adjust to our surroundings and overlook things we think we wouldn't.

There's a lesson in that, but I don't feel like pontificating today, so you connect the dots.

Anyway, that's the story of Myshell and how I'll probably end up on Oprah when I lose so much weight that the world can't believe it was all due to plain little seashell.

If you were going to utilize the anchor theory in your life right now, what object would you choose and why?

22 comments:

Julie said...

A neat idea... I think I would use one of my 2 lb weights... it'll be like a work out... but wait... I tote an 11 month old around most of the day... way MORE than 2 lbs lol

Jewel said...

HA! Way to go!! You can do it!

I plan on (only semi-unintentionally) losing a few sizes in Africa this summer. Hopefully this time it won't be the parasites!! [Last summer in Cambodia I lost 18 pounds in about 10 days because of parasites!]

PS: Sarasota is definitely the way to go!! I grew up vacationing there until my grandparents passed away, thus we lost our vacation home.

Barbie said...

I know you wrote this just for me! I've been known to propose to the food in front of me many times. I just started Weight Watchers two weeks ago, but food keeps jumping in my mouth. An anchor is a great idea. I need to find me one!

Mary said...

Oh, that made me laugh! But, Linda, looking at pictures, you definitely don't look like you need to lose weight.

Mrs. E said...

Smart idea!! You inspire!

Ballerina Girl said...

What a fun post and great idea...
we so overlook many things that are right in front of us...go ahead, do a post on that, I bet it would be great!
I hope that Myshell works for you...
as for me...I think I need a ball and chain dragging on my leg to get me to exercise more....no seriously, I would probably like to use a heart shaped stone that can stay in my pocket and I can rub when I need to let frustration out, or stop from eating...(a worry stone! that's the name of them!)

BG

Charmaine Clancy said...

my anchor my have to be a treadmill - it'll be a handy reminder to get me to exercise and it'll be heavy enough to stop me reaching the fridge.

Mocha with Linda said...

That's a great idea. Love the name!

However, I have no idea what object I would use. I'm supposed to think on a Monday morning before the kids are even at school?!

The Bug said...

I used to have an anchor back in the day - it was a pine cone necklace. Maybe I should dig that sucker back out & USE it!

Carmen said...

I was wondering why you called your computer "myshell" and wondered how it fit in your purse, until I checked back at the picture. Something about a cable attached to a vessel threw me off a bit. Time for my second cup of coffee, I guess...

Ginger said...

Love it. You are so crazy this might work... ha! FB how it goes pls. I may need to find a reminder of my own. Hmmm.

Angel Muly said...

I love this post!! How awesome that you are carrying that big shell around as an anchor. Love the comments from your husband and boss!! Keep up the good work. Love, Angel
allthemus.blogspot.com

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

I loved this and needed this quick kick in the rear. I began dieting last June and had lost over 50 pounds by Sept. 1. I was so proud of myself...and then my life went awry....and I fell right back into the comforting eating mode...I have gained 30 of the pounds back. Myshell was my shot in the arm today....thanks...I will find my own anchor and follow suite.

Lori at The Davidson Den said...

I think "Myshell" is GREAT! And I do hope it works for you. You know. So you can be on Oprah and all.

auburnchick said...

Does this mean you're giving up your nightly coffee/latte and biscotti??

Oh good gravy, Girl! You might get on Oprah, but it's going to be the show titled "Women, and the Biscotti They Gave Up."

teehee

I love your idea, although I'm not sure I could fit a shell, weight, or treadmill (as suggested by Charmaine) into my purse!!

I think I would choose some sort of jingly bracelet...maybe a charm bracelet.

I'd wear that thing every waking moment, on my right hand, so that every time I reached for the handle of the refrigerated cooler at the gas station, I'd see, hear, and feel the bracelet and maybe, just maybe, be reminded of what I'm trying to accomplish (maybe I'd reach for a bottle of water instead of a Mello Yello).

Jeanie said...

The shell is a perfect anchor for a beach body effort. I can just see it now...you will inspire women everywhere to carry a talisman of their new body effort. I just need to find a nice smooth rock in the shape of Angelina Jolie. haha

2cats said...

What a fun way to be reminded of what your priority is. I was going through old pictures the other day, and i guess my anchor would have to be a picture about 15 years ago when I was oh so much thinner. That would be my goal and the picture would help to keep me on track.

Pam Warden Art said...

You had me at QDoba!

Roxanne said...

I think that is an AWESOME idea. . .and I have been SUGAR FREE for 9 straight days. . .and, quite frankly, I was just looking at your picture up top thinking how thin you are. . .seriously. (And I have kittens over on my blog. . .three of them.)

Prairiemaid said...

Very clever!

Wishing you much success!

Shawna said...

Check out my post about prom dresses. You will laugh. :)

shawna-mygirls.blogspot.com

Shawna said...

I love the part about eating poorly when you're feeling happy, sad, or conscious. You are hilarious!

I would definitely go with a lighter object. Probably something I could just wear, like a bracelet, something simple and silver and unique. Or perhaps a pearl ring to remind myself that I am a pearl and I deserve to be thin, healthy, and joyful about who I am.