Friday, April 16, 2010

Friday's Fave Five & Flashback Friday

Facebook status updated at 8:21 am: Volcanic magma + glacial melt water + giant ash cloud bringing much of the world to a standstill = LOST. Is Charles Widmore behind this? Could Frank Lapidus fly through this? Is John Locke the ash cloud?



1. Hyacinths. I honestly didn't know how aromatic they are. They are also Diane's favorite flower. I took this picture. Proud of myself.


2. Jorge and I on the Greenway trail, riding bikes like we're young or something. Proud of myself.



3. Day 3 of "Wear a Skirt to Work All Week." I decided to tackle this goal because I was pretty sure I would succeed at wearing 5 skirts in a row if I really tried. I made it. This skirt is white eyelet. Proud of myself for not caving into capris or something.



4. Diane with a little visitor. She was a nurse in the neo-natal intensive care unit at this very hospital for years. I did not cry when I took these pics. Proud of me for holding it together. Diane has always been a sender of cards and loves to receive them. Her room is decorated with them. If you would like to send her a card, her address is:

Diane Ross
c/o Ball Memorial Hospital
2401 University Avenue Rm #5211
Muncie, IN 47303




5. Girls Group (GG) at the hospital. We've had some long hours with Diane there, precious, every one. Proud of these friends.


Even these two.





Linda asks us to reach back into the flashback files for memories of childhood activities, lessons, etc.

I took piano lessons for a couple of years when I was little, about 7 years old. I had a mean, sarcastic teacher, so I hated it. I did like to practice, however.

Flash forward to third child, a girl, who took to the piano. I made sure I found her a nice teacher, but she plays beautifully by ear, bringing me to tears often. Guess which child inherits the piano?

20 comments:

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

What an awesome post. The piano story hit home. I play by ear...can't read a note of music...took piano for 4 years...teacher would play the song...I would mimic it. One day she realized what was happening....and taught me a song with a wrong note in it. I still play that song wrong. Sigh...no more piano lessons for me. What I would not give today to play. Oh well...my guitar doesn't mind that I don't play piano. Happy Friday.

Mocha with Linda said...

Love the pics. So glad you are making such sweet memories in these last days with Diane.

I love hearing my child play the piano!

rita said...

Music comes more naturally for you and daughter--very blessed.
Enjoyed your double-duty post!

Susanne said...

You are rocking the skirt and polka dot flats! And look how slim you are in that pic with Jorge! You need to come here and coach me.

What precious pictures of Dianne!

barbarah said...

I love the way hyacinths look, but they make my sinuses clog.

You look nice in a skirt!

What a sweet little visitor.

I was one who wanted lessons but didn't get them, while my kids had them but didn't want them. Go figure...

Jeanie said...

I love the hyacinth photo you took and that it your friend Diane's favorite. She is so fortunate to have such a great group of friends.
I hope piano lessons are still in my future. We have a baby grand that just sits there unless my kids are here.

Carrie said...

The picture of the hyachinth IS beautiful.

What a wonderful post.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

I know that you and all your other gal pals are such a blessing to your friend. It is that ministry of presence that means so very much to those who are struggling with any kind of illness.

You will treasure these times and those pictures. That precious baby was such a sweet blessing, they don't see tubes and monitors all they see are smiles.

Blessings
R

Betty said...

Diane is lucky to have such an awesome group of friends. I´m sure you will cherish these last moments together!
Good for you for wearing skirts/dresses all week!

Cathy said...

Beautiful hyacinths and beautiful post.

O Mom said...

Praying for you as you go through this with your friend. I love to hear about how you all are being there for her.

Nel said...

What a great memory! I absolutely love to hear someone play the piano by ear. There is a difference, it seems to flow so easily.
Praying for you and your friends. Glad you are getting to spend time with her and making memories.
until next time... nel

Ginger said...

Wow. The pics. The words. The flowers. Priceless.
Ginger

Jerralea said...

I'm going to have to get me a hyacinth, I hadn't smelled them before either.

I'm so glad your girls group is spending time with Diane. What precious times!

I was just talking to someone else about spring skirts! I guess I'm going to have to go dig mine out!

covnitkepr1 said...

I never tire of looking at God's creation. You captured it beautifully in the Hyacinths picture.
I'll pray for Diane.
I love to see an infant in the arms of the elderly...it confirms even more my faith in God. Thanks for sharing.
Good blog...nice posts...think I'll follow.

Laura said...

What a sweet friend to Diane you are -- and a blessing, too.

The hyacinths are beautiful!

Sounds like a great week. Happy weekend!

Brenda said...

Did you change your blog? I recognize the name but not the design. . .

Wearing a skirt to work everyday sounds like a great idea.

You look great!

auburnchick said...

Five days in a row of skirts? Yikes! That's, like, five days in a row of shaving.

Reason #1 why I won't be making this a goal of mine.

P.S. Still praying for all of you...

Mrs. E said...

How nice that you should have no regrets about the love you showered on your friend at the end of her race!
PS. I inherited my mom's piano. Best thing my dad gave me after she died. I think of her every time I sit down to play or every time I dust it. Lots of love!

Beverlydru said...

You're humor and love are so refreshing. I got my card off to Diane. Friends... nothing like 'em.