Thursday, August 05, 2010

Previously on "I Know You Think I Make This Stuff Up"

Originally published on 4/17/09. But can you believe this in light of yesterday's post?

Every day, an elderly man, sorta like this guy here, rides his bicycle around our church's campus.

Round and round in a big circle he goes, like the kid named Adam Farmer in Robert Cormier's I Am the Cheese.

Our "Adam" is kind of a grumpy dude who doesn't really like it when cars enter or leave the lot. Because you know, it's his track. He has been known to throw staff an unkind word and unsympathetic look when we dare to leave for lunch or go home.

Perhaps he thinks we should join him.

Anyway, today, he came staggering into my office saying, "Who has the green Camaro?"

And that's when I crawled under my desk because I thought I had left it in gear and that it had rolled over the man who was barely alive to tell about it.

But no, he said, "I just hit your car."

Come again?

He said, "I don't know what happened. I guess I was just so caught up in the moment that I didn't see it until I was right-up on it."

So it tore the cover on the front, aka "Le Bra," but I think no real damage was done. Except maybe to Adam Farmer, who said, "And I hit my artificial knee."

Uh-oh.

So I had to fill out an accident report because ... a man ran his bike into my car. Which was sitting in plain view in a parking lot with nothing else around it for yards and yards.

How odd.

I should be more upset, but how could I be when I know this is exactly the kind of thing I do as a normal course in life?

Perhaps "Adam" is my soul mate, and fate had him ram my car, like a sucker punch of love.

Nah. I still like Jorge the Jabanero. But he'd better watch his back. The vultures are circling.

10 comments:

SouthLakesMom said...

Be glad you live in America. When a bicyclist ran into my mom's STOPPED car when we lived in Japan she had to go to court and pay his medical bills. Their reasoning: if the car hadn't been there, the bicycle would not have run into it...a Japanese friend explained it to me this way: a car is bigger than a bicycle. The bigger thing must always bear more responsibility than the smaller thing.

HuH?

SusanD said...

ahahaha! That is just too bazaar. You have a thing w/old guys. Bike guy. Stick man. I'm seeing a trend here. lol. Thanks for the chuckle. Blessings, SusanD

Susanne said...

LOL. I remember this post. Scary! The bikes are out to get ya.

bensrib said...

Where do you live? I want to stay far away. (JK!) You might think about staying home for a few days . . .

Cathy said...

Too funny! How do you get into these things? lol

Susan said...

Oh my gosh..that's something! Is he filing a claim??? I hope not.

Mocha with Linda said...

I remember this! Maybe he moved from the parking lot to the stick tree!

Carmen said...

W.O.W. Maybe it's the perfume you're wearing?

Connie said...

Something new to write and talk about! It is amazing how you attract such craziness!

Connie

Mom Taxi Julie said...

That's pretty crazy!! Too funny. At least he didn't do a hit and run, um I mean ride..