Wednesday, February 02, 2011

For Kelsey


Last year, I wrote about these girls having a rare (11 people in the world) genetic immune deficiency disease (Dock 8) and how my church sponsored the Be The Match event to try to find stem cell donors.

I'm sad to say that the eldest, Kelsey (right) passed away this afternoon at 5:17pm.

Heavy, heavy heart, but she is with Jesus. I know this because she was with him every day while she was here on earth these short years, so this relationship just continues now in a different dimension than we can understand. It's not that big of a jump for Kelsey. Her speech was peppered with references to him, she literally danced for him, and she pointed others to him with a mega-watt smile. He was her all in all, and now she is completely healed, forever. Not one more hour of sickness for Kelsey. Not one minute more of suffering.

One of my best memories of Kelsey is that when she was little and enrolled in a Praise Dance program with my daughter Katie, Kelsey's mom, Tammy, asked me to give Kelsey a ride home, and I agreed. About halfway to my house, I realized I had forgotten Kelsey at church. I never drove so fast back to church or prayed so hard while I was driving as I did to retrieve her, which is saying a lot for me. Upon my arrival, she was fine, greeted me with her little cheerful smile and chatted all the way home. Bless her heart.

My heart is heavy, laden with grief, yes, but also heavy with the rich gifts she shared with us all.

She will be missed. And she has the most amazing parents on the face of the earth. Much love to them.

18 comments:

Mrs. E said...

So sorry for her family and you... for the loss. So happy for heaven to receive that ray of light.

Maribeth said...

Having lost a child of my own, I know how her parents feel. Like Kelsey, my own daughter loved Jesus and all these years later, I am comforted knowing this.
I'm so sorry. For you and for your friends.
Blessings.

Mocha with Linda said...

Oh my heart aches for the family and for her sister. How is her sister doing physically? What a beautiful picture you've painted of this sweet girl who is now healed and dancing on the streets of heaven.

Hugs to all of you whose lives she touched and who will miss her so much.

Melanie said...

Bless her family...they will walk the road of grief.

Connie said...

Sometimes God places special people in our lives for just a little while but they leave footprints in your life forever.
Sympathy to you all.

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

So young...but how awesome that she is now with Jesus...no more sickness!!

~Beth

BARBIE said...

I am so sorry to hear about Kelsey. I do remember when you posted about these precious girls last year. I will be praying for the family.

Amy said...

I signed up with the Be The Match donor program at the last 10K I ran, I saw the booth and remembered your post.

I hope someday that I can be a match and give someone that gift...

Her legacy will hopefully bring about life for someone else.

Much love
Amy

Susanne said...

Linda, I'm so sorry. May God comfort your hearts.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I remember their story

I am sad to read your post today

Pamela said...

I have been praying for these girls ever since you posted about them. Praying not only for the girls but their families and the doctors caring for them.

A lot has changed for me since Nate's illness. God showed me that the one ministry that I can do anywhere at anytime is pray. That is what I will continue to do for this family.

samurai said...

8(

Thank you for sharing this... Praying for the other, and for those who knew her...

Penny said...

Praying for you, Kelsey's church family, and her biological family. You are right: she will be missed.

SusanD said...

I remember when you wrote about this. So sad to learn of Kelsey's passing. May the sweet memories of her bring you and her family joy and comfort and you journey through this new season without her. Blessings, SusanD

Terry said...

I am so very sorry to hear of Kelsey's passing. I remember when you wrote about the girls and I will keep the family in my prayers.

Terry

LynnMarie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I am on that Be A Match List and have been since the early 90's but have never been matched with anyone. I am now just starting the process to see if I am a match for a live liver donation. If I can help save a life, I really want to do it.

Mikki said...

Linda,
I'm a mom of 4 and a 7 pound Yorkie! Good to get to know you a little bit during my first read on your blog today. Thanks for sharing such a personal pain. My prayers are with you and Kelsey's family.
Mikki

Mikki said...

Linda,
I am a mom of four with a 7-pound Yorkie and a blogger, of course! Thanks for a glimpse of your heart today. My prayers are with Kelsey's family and you.
Mikki