Wednesday, October 05, 2011

"I is Kind, I is Smart, I is Important, and I is OLD"

Siiiiiigh

Yesterday I turned 49.

You know what that means.

One year from today: 50


Yes, 5-0, just like SNL's Sally O'Malley.

In my posse, when you turn 50, they do this to you:


They force a Red Hat Society hat and boa on you, amongst other hiLARious treats.

But even though I woke up and found myself 49 yesterday, it was still better than when I awoke at 30.

When year 30 dawned back in 1992, I was 9 months pregnant. During the night, a blood vessel burst in my eye, and I looked as though I had bright red blood all over the white of my eye. My hair was permed. I had on a big, dark green maternity tent and was on my way to church. And someone snapped a picture.

Ever since then, he's been known as "Jorge the Lefty."

So in an effort to be the best I can be in this my final year in the decade of what I once foolishly thought was old but now realize is not, I registered for the Indianapolis Indy Mini-Marathon in May. This means I have about 200 days left to ready myself to run 13.1 miles.

I is kind, smart, important, old and I is CRAZEE.

Anyone else out there fall in the same category?

11 comments:

Recovering Church Lady said...

I bet you were the ring leader in some of those "let's embarrass the birthday girl" parties too, right? All I can say is what goes around comes around, whatever that means!

I am in the middle of the 50's and it is amazingly better than expected in so many ways. You will love it and squeeze all the fun out of it that you can, because that is what you do! happy 49!

Susanne said...

Well, I turned the big 5-0 pretty quietly last year. Marathon? Me? Maybe a marathon dinner and then a marathon sleep.

Happy 49th!

Mrs. S. said...

Yep, I do. I am 48, heading toward 49 (six months from the 23rd)...I've got a "before 50" bucket list...instead of before I kick the bucket... :)

Melly<><

Stapler’s Strategies for Sizzlin' Second Graders!

Lisa Laree said...

Happy year of Jubilee! ;-)
I blogged about Jubilee for the whole year (once a week) for the year I was 49.

I tell myself it made 50 less painful.

I think.

But I was 50 two years ago.

I'm there with you.

Ginger said...

Pahahahaaa! Crazy indeed. Should I tell you I graduated high school in '92? No, really, you rock!

Mocha with Linda said...

I promise no one did anything like that boa and red hat picture to me. I'll be waiting for you to jump in the 50 degree water next year!

Happy birthday again!

Melanie said...

Yes, you are crazy. And so am I. Last Saturday on my long training run (8 miles), I wondered how in the world I'll add another 5.1 to that come January.
One more thing ~ Bobby Sherman.

LynnMarie said...

Now it will all be fine. I can say that of course because I'm 57 now and so I am looking at 60! I really never though about being OLD because I don't feel OLD - well most days I don't anyway. You will be just fine, in the meantime, enjoy 49.

Liz said...

Hey, Linda. I'm just 10 years behind ya. I turned 39 today. How the heck did I ever get to be 39???? I was thinking of kicking back into blogging high gear and sort of doing a countdown to 40 over the next year. I've been dreading 40 all along, though, so I'm not sure how counting down to my doom is really going to help my outlook. Not sure what I'll do.

Jeanie said...

Happy belated birthday to you!

auburnchick said...

Ok...so I'm a dollar short and a day or two late. Please forgive this second-first-year-teacher who has way too much on her plate right now.

Happy Belated!

I can't say that I've shared the same excitements over past pre-decade-turning events, but I will say that I sure did have a blast turning 40 last year. Mind over matter...or is it mind over age. Whatever. I just had a glass of wine to destress from a busy week, and my brain isn't all there.

Anyhoo, I trust you had a fantastic day, and that you'll make the most of the next 200 days leading up to the race. Go YOU!