Thursday, June 28, 2012

Station Wagon Memories

My dash read 102* today. The intense heat reminds me of childhood summers spent in the back section of a turquoise stationwagon without air conditioning. Blistering vinyl, trying to catch a hot breeze through the rolled down windows. Only bright spot was the radio and catching my brother's hand crossing the imaginary mid-line so that i could slap it or his arm or leg. Those were the days. It looked like this car. Just looking at this pic makes me think of Three Dog Night and Ross Grocery on Hoyt Ave and sweating.

Check out the song of the summer I remember the most:

4 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

I don't even have to click on the song to get it in my brain! LOL Jeremiah was a bullfrog. . . !!

I always wanted a station wagon. When my brother got a ocmpany car that was a station wagon and it was bright yellow (my favorite color then), I thought he was the cat's meow!!

Deb said...

We got to tool around in my grandmother's car during the summer, a 1976 Bicentennial edition Impala. Ginormous white car with red interior and blue pin striping. It was like riding in the inside of a white whale.

Susanne said...

This post bought a nostalgic smile!

skoots1mom said...

we had a 1959 oldmobile 88...and my mom made light blue cotton terry cloth seat covers with elastic (that saved our Florida trips) because of the hot vinyl...driving started at 3am heading toward the beach, to avoid the higher temps...spent a lot of time avoiding cigarette ashes flying from Daddy's PallMalls, yuck...lying on the floorboard, the hump was my headrest, hearing the many textures of road, asphalt, to poured concrete, sometimes rough gravel, sometimes dirt roads, and then finally sand...we could drive on Daytona Beach back then! :)