Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Dave B. and Dave B. on Christmas. (Also, please see my last post about fixing my problem with Beta!)

I've mentioned him before, but you should check out Dave Burchett's latest post on Christmas at Confessions of a Bad Christian. You won't be sorry. And because Dave Burchett did this, I'm doing it, too: quoting my modern day hero, Dave Barry, who I met briefly this year (about 30 seconds but long enough to snap a picture to prove it!) about Christmas.

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice.

In the old days, it was not called the Holiday Season; the Christians called it "Christmas" and went to church; the Jews called it "Hanukkah" and went to synagogue; the atheists went to parties and drank. People passing each other on the street would say "Merry Christmas!" or "Happy Hanukkah!"or (to the atheists) "Look out for the wall!"

These days, people say "Season's Greetings," which, when you think about it, means nothing. It's like walking up to somebody and saying"Appropriate Remark" in a loud, cheerful voice. But "Season's Greetings" is safer, because it does not refer to any actual religion. Some day, I imagine, even "Season's Greetings" will be considered too religious, and we'll celebrate the Holiday Season by saying "Have a nice day."

4 comments:

His Singer said...

Wow! You're back! YEA!

And I must admit to being quite the honored individual. I MADE YOUR BLOGROLL!! WOO HOO!!! :)

I'll be back writing soon, but for now I'm just reading...and reading good stuff. Keep it up!

Susanne said...

Isn't that the way it's going. Sad.

The Human Napkin said...

I am so going to start saying "Appropriate Remark!" to everyone I see in the grocery store. They already think I'm crazy since I have a tendency to talk to myself (which is why I ALWAYS take at least one of my kids to the store, so I don't look quite so crazy), so it wouldn't be too surprising.

Big Mama said...

I'm so glad that you're back although I'm sorry to hear about your mother in law.

Love the quote by Dave Barry. He's a genius and sadly, he's right.

Also, thought about you on Saturday night because on Saturday Night Live one of the skits referred to "Lucky Pants McGhee".