Thursday, December 21, 2006

Two Great Reads



If your shopping is done, cookies are baked, ornaments are glued back together, carpets are cleared of wrapping paper scraps, you might enjoy a couple of books I've read lately. They're both short Christmas stories that will make you smile. OK, they're not exactly the same significance as the nativity story, but they are entertaining and even inspiring, and you can read each in about an hour.

The first is Dave Barry's The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog. My sweet aunt sent me this book recently, and my husband and I read it within the first 48 hours. It's set in 1960 and told in the voice of "Doug," a young boy who basically reports about a Christmas pageant and his dog, Walter. Dave Barry seems to be more comically subdued in this book than usual, and the ending is downright sentimental and tender, the way a good Christmas story should be.

The second is The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, by Barbara Robinson. You may have seen the movie with Loretta Swit, but the book is better, of course. It helps you see the coming of Jesus in a new light. I am moved to tears every year when I read it. You will never forget the wild Herdman family who either bullied or defaulted their way into a traditional pageant, to the chagrin of everyone involved. It's hilarious and touching at the same time. Imogene Herdman will rip your heart out. In a good way.

3 comments:

Big Mama said...

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever is one of my favorite books of all time. The Herdmans are the greatest!

Susanne said...

I'll have to see if the library has them. I'm going there anyway, another thing on my to do list.

Melanie said...

These sound like good reads. Thanks for sharing!