Sunday, January 14, 2007

Monday's Memory


This is my husband as a teenager when he played linebacker/receiver for our high school football team, the Rebels. I was a cheerleader, the world's most inept, but that's another post. We did not date in high school, although we met as 9th graders in English class and became friends over the years. Because our names began with letters close in the alphabet, we were often seated near each other in classes. The first words he ever spoke to me were in 9th grade when immediately after the bell rang, I got up to leave class and passed his desk. He said quietly, "I like your outfit," referring to the red and white cheerleading uniform. I couldn't hear him and said, "What?" and he had to repeat it. I'm sure I blushed because he was pretty cute. We have a unique history in that while we did not date in high school, we did see each other with every other person we ever dated--good fodder for teasing! I remember thinking, "Gee, what does he see in HER?" never dreaming I would marry him.


This is one of the few pictures we have of us dating. I can't believe how much hair he had or how chubby my schoolgirl face was. The sides of my hair are flipped back like everyone wore it in the '80s. These pics were both taken around 1981. We were married in '85 and had our daughter in '86. Sometimes I can't believe I married that kid from high school. And may I say (brag) that he was cute and smart--received a full-ride academic scholarship. He hates attention like this, but it's my blog and my memory, so that's that.

10 comments:

The Human Napkin said...

Aww, how sweet! I dated my husband in high school, but he had already graduated. Maybe I'll do a whole post some time about how we met. It's an interesting story.

His Singer said...

(sigh)

Hard to believe we were ever that young sometimes, eh? I look at my daughter now and remember when I was her age.

And I'd NEVER DO IT AGAIN EVEN IF YOU PAID ME A GAZILLION DOLLARS.

Linda said...

Yeah. My eldest is a soph. in college. When I tell her I was just one year out of college before I had her, she says, "You were too young!"

Linda said...

I think we should all post about it. That would be fun.

Susanne said...

I'm amazed at how much your son resembles your husband in that football pic. And how cute a couple are the two of you. Nice memory. If you enjoy this, like I do, Barb (A Chelsea Morning) had a linky thing going on "How you met your spouse". I think there were around 60 people that wrote about it and linked. It should be in her archives.

Roxanne said...

I did that recently in "100 things about my engagement/marriage/honeymoon if you care to go and read it. I always love to hear people's "stories." THere used to be a segment . . .oh, wait. . .I just talked myself into a blog topic. :)

Julie said...

Hi there, Linda,
This is my first time to your blog. Your header cracks me up. I'm not a coffee drinker myself, but still.

And I love your little "Blogging Chicks" thingy on the sidebar. Hilarious!

By the way, you and your hubby are real cuties.

Melanie said...

Great memories and photos. Other than the hair and maybe the cheeks, you haven't changed a bit!

I think they secretly like it when you brag about them on our blog. They are just too humble to admit it. :>)

Linda said...

You all (Y'all?) are so sweet. Susanne, I can't believe you caught the strong resemblance between dad and son. Thanks everyone for your comments.

Susan said...

What a great memory!! I love that you all met in high school and "lasted". My DS 2 has a GF now that I think "could last". They are so rooted and grounded...it's amazing!! The key, in my opinion, is that you were friends FIRST...that worked with my DH too. We married in 87 and had our son in 88!

And yes, we were young!!