Monday, December 10, 2007

The Golden Compass

One of the most popular admonitions currently expressed in both Christian and secular cultures is that Christians are more well-known for what we stand against than what we stand for. Therefore, many of us are hesitatnt to discuss topics that we feel (Gasp! Are Christians really allowed to have any opinions? Especially negative ones? And if they do, shouldn't they keep them to themselves??) may promote wrong or harmful behaviors/thinking.

That just does not fly with me. I embrace the admonition, "Stand for something or fall for everything." So you can look at this post as a rant against something or a rant for something else. It's all perspective.

So my daughter and I were talking about the movie, and she said, "If I hadn't heard all the bad stuff about it, I would have really liked to see it. It looks really good."

That's so sad to me. [Tangent: And just this week, I also heard about the only famous female that I've ever heard my 15 year-old daughter say that she admires, posed nude once again for a magazine cover: Keira Knightley. But that's another post. I just feel bad for kids trying to figure out why the Bible, parents and church tell them one thing but the world tells them another.]

Anyway, I expressed my feelings to her about the movie like this: I haven't seen the movie, which is the first line of defense every producer/writer/director/actor makes when you criticize their work. But the author of the series has been quoted ad nauseum that he is indeed intending to convince everyone that God is ... bad ... or not real ... or has not been his fairy godmother and so we should all join in his tantrum.

Every day, there are people all over the world dying, actually dying, because they are so committed to spreading the cause of Christ. Sometimes just acknowledging Jesus will get you martyred, no proselytizing necessary.

I feel that if I went a movie that promotes putting God down, and by that I mean "putting down" the way a veterinarian puts down a dog, I would feel as though I'm funding anti-Christian missionaries.

Americans, after sitting on our lazy behinds on sofas and movie seats and sports seats, wake up on Sunday morning and maybe just don't feel like going to church or reading the Bible or investing in people or good causes. I have been guilty of this.

So not only am I not in the trenches, but I take it all for granted, and if I supported this movie financially, I would be throwing money that I could've spent in a thousand better ways at entertainment that promotes eradicating religion, especially Christianity. The movie is like a pitiful, pathetic slap in the face of an eternal, omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent God, and a big slap in the face to those who sacrifice everyday to promote the opposite of this movie's intentions.

And that's why I wouldn't see the movie. My daughter's response? "I never thought of it that way."

2 Corinthians 10:3-6 The Message: The world is unprincipled. It's dog-eat-dog out there! The world doesn't fight fair. But we don't live or fight our battles that way—never have and never will. The tools of our trade aren't for marketing or manipulation, but they are for demolishing that entire massively corrupt culture. We use our powerful God-tools for smashing warped philosophies, tearing down barriers erected against the truth of God, fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ. Our tools are ready at hand for clearing the ground of every obstruction and building lives of obedience into maturity.

18 comments:

Barbara H. said...

Amen!

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

Cyndy said...

You go girl...and I don't mean that flippantly either. After yesterdays shootings in Colorado I am impressed even further with how much The enemy hates God and us as His children. Supporting Pullman's thinly veiled (I don't think he was even trying to veil it) hate for God and Christianity is like shooting those poor people all over again.

Carol said...

Great job, Linda! My daughter also wanted to see this movie this weekend, but I didn't explain why as eloquently as you did. I will have her read this post when she gets home from school today. Also, you may be interested in a blog by Vicki Courtney. She has a ministry called Virtuous Reality whose goal is to raise Godly children in an ungodly world. I think the blog is vickicourtney.com I think you would enjoy what she has to say.

Lynn / vigilant20 said...

Very well said. I like the way you thought this through.

samurai said...

While I feel that we as Christians really do need to interact with the world, and then evaluate it based off of the scriptures (i.e. know what we believe, and why) - I whole heartedly agree with you. Your post on this movie is well thought out and worded. Praise God that your daughter was able to hear those words.

\o/

Susanne said...

I totally agree with you Linda. What makes this movie of great concern to me is that it's been "sweetened down" and that it is part of a series that gets progressively worse until the third book where the characters kill God. Unsuspecting parents will run out and buy the books because their kids will want to read it after seeing the "sweetened down version" of the movie which is based on only the first of the series. And like you so well stated, why would I want to financially support that which is a slap in the face of the Lord I love for the sake of letting myself and my children be entertained for two hours.

I just have to stop there as I cant rant of this a long time and you have already stated it so well.

Carrie said...

Very well put. I won't be seeing it either.
Hope your day is going well!
God bless :)

annie said...

I have the same concerns as Susanne above. I heard a reviewer state, "if you're afraid of the 'anti-religious' elements in the book, most of them have been taken out for the movie." It isn't anti-religous, it is anti-Christ. There is no such thing of cleaning it up a bit--as you say, you either stand for something or you fall for everything. Thanks for the eloquent post and intentional stand for Christ and Christianity.

Melanie said...

Great job, Linda!

oh amanda said...

What a great post!

Roxanne said...

That goes for this movie and so many other movies/products/t.v. shows/past-times/products. . .

Jerri Phillips said...

Linda,
This is one of the most sensible explanations for not seeing the movie I've read. I did a lot of research on the author and the books as well, and he says simply that he is trying to free people from the idea of God. It gets no more clearly anti-Christ and anti-God than that.

I had not thought of the missionaries, though. What a wonderful thought-process. The Lord gave you a lot of revelation concerning His heart on this. Thank you for boldly sharing it.

Teresa said...

This was an excellent post! We have also taken a stand against the movie, but I love your thoughts on missionaries. Excellent!

A Stone Gatherer said...

I just came across your blog off of The Preachers Wife blog. I love anything to do with coffee! Anyway I just wanted to say that I appreciate the way you expressed yourself about the movie. I had already decided we wouldn't see it, but it makes since how you said we would be funding atheistic missionaries.

Ann said...

I agree. I don't want to give a single penny to that guy. But there is that little itty bitty part of me that wants to see it, just to know what all the hype is about. But instead, I'll just take your word for it :) I really like what you said about seeing this movie/buying the books is giving money to anti-Christian missionaries.

My kids asked why we won't see Golden Compass. We just plain old told them that the man who wrote the story for it is against Jesus. They understood without any argument.

Faith said...

This is great! Amen....you go, girl! Do you mind if I add your link to my website? I found you from Susanne's at Living to Tell the Story....this was the best thing I have read about that movie! (I have a teen daughter as well (14) and yes, it is often so difficult to teach Godly values, Biblical truth when they are surrounded by media, etc. that do not promote true Christian values.

dcrmom said...

You are absolutely on target. Good stuff.

Shalee said...

This is exactly how I explained it to The Girl. Once she understood the motive behind the author, she herself said that she wanted nothing to do with it. I love when they get things that touches their souls.