Friday, February 29, 2008

Weekend Update: LOST! and Cheeseburger in Paradise

What's going on with you this weekend?

I'll be having lunch at Cheeseburger in Paradise with both of my college kids plus the one at home and Jorge, the Hunky Husband. We are all celebrating my son's 19th birthday, although the actual d.o.b. is March 8th (also International Women's Day, which causes my son, Jordan, to conclude that he must be God's gift to women all over the world.) He's just joking, of course. Because we all know that I, the mom, am the woman he was given to on March 8th, 1989, and he's mine until he walks the church aisle. Moms of boys, can I get an "Amen!"?

We are celebrating early because College Daughter is going to England next week with a school group. I've kind of been ignoring this whole trip thing for a while now, lending the same credibility to the idea as I did to her threats to run away when she was little ("M-hmm. Take care now; better pack some crackers.") But the reality is sinking in ... she's flying across an ocean. She's going to a huge city. She sent me her itinerary last week. I was doing pretty well worry-wise until my eyes fell on one sight-seeing plan: The Jack the Ripper Tour. Greaaaat.

For about the last six times I've talked to her, I've said, "DO NOT turn your back on your drink or food in public." She says, "I know, Mom; I promise I won't." Then I say, "Good." But do I stop there? No. It is impossible for me to stop there. I am compelled to add, "Because you know what happened to Natalie Holloway."

In the grand tradition of my mother, Lucille, I am the current reigning champ of spreading anxiety and suspicion. I am a human fear atomizer, dispersing dire warnings and dreaded consequences like the spray from a sneeze. The Pig Pen of angst.

Gee, who wouldn't love to have a fun birthday lunch with me?

Other weekend stuff:

Attention, LOSTIES (spoiler alert):














First of all, does anyone else see the resemblance between Barry Gibb, Eric Clapton and Desmond? Weird.

But now let's get serious. In the words of my friend, Cindy, who turned me on to LOST:

Well, my mind can’t stop reeling from last night’s episode. I think that was one of the most revealing ever! I know you may not believe it, but for a long time, I’ve had a suspicion that it was Penelope’s dad that was behind the evil deeds of the island. I can’t help but wonder now how he fits into it all! If he was buying artifacts from the Black Rock in 1995, how involved might he be? Is this the discovery of mind/time travel?

"I think 'tis, Brotha, aye, 'tis."

Jorge has been suspecting Penny's dad, as well.

That's why I like to surround myself with smart people--I was suspecting Plankton from Sponge Bob. (Well, he is an evil genius.)

Actually, I cannot be distracted by deciphering what's going on. I am still reeling from Aaron and Kate. No other story lines are as interesting to me as those of the initial small cast of survivors.

I did crack up out loud this morning, though, when Amy of Sings, Miracles and Wonders asked me if I would be her "time travel constant." I'm not sure, but I think I got one of those crazy Leap Day proposals. I said yes, so I think it's pretty much official for Amy and me.

Finally, 'dja ever notice that when people die on LOST, they look way dead. Even Eloise the Rat deserves an Emmy for her portrayal of "death by time travel." She's good--really good.

"What's my motivation here? Oh, I see, I'm traveling back and forth in time, but I have no 'constant', so my brain is short circuiting? Got it. I'll just do the old 'dead rat in pink light baring little rat teeth' scene."


*Next post: The winner of the Skinny Songs CD!*

23 comments:

Melanie said...

I would bet that if we had a contest we would run neck and neck for the most paronoia inducing Mom of the Year.

One person's paronia is a mother's reality. :>)

KELLY said...

I thought Desmond looked "familiar" - from my high school days! Yes, I loved the Bee Gees! :0

I will admit that this season of LOST has me completely LOST! I think I have missed too many episodes. Need to get caught up with the DVD's.

Teri said...

Okay okay...maybe I will rent the LOST series on DVD and get into all of the hubbub. It seems like I am missing something everytime I read your LOST posts.

Carol said...

Ah, you just think that is a resemblance my friend, when in fact Desmond IS Barry Gibb and Eric Clapton. He has just time traveled between the lives. Notice the similarities in lifestyles - music. I believe it will be the next episode or two when we realize that Desmond can sing. They'll be releasing a whole campfire album and such. It'll be great. Just you wait and see.

KarenW said...

I hadn't thought of Penny's dad but that makes sense. I keep wondering how they are going to tie all these episodes together and if the writer's are actually working on the last 8 episodes of the season.

Linda said...

I am cracking up out loud at you guys. I have the best commenters in the world. It's worth blogging just to get these comments!

Ann said...

I never even thought of Penny's dad. I am loving the re-runs they are showing with all the nuggets of info that I never would have known had I not watched the pop-ups.

Penny's dad? You think? Maybe it's just been too long since I watched the initial Penny's Dad episode. I didn't even remember that he was buying articfacts from Black Rock. Penny's dad...hmmmm...

I wonder if Jacob is lost in time, too, and that's why we can't see him. It would sort of kind of explain Walt. Maybe I should just start reading Lost forums and see what they're saying out there. I wonder how many episodes are left for this season?

Fresh Girl said...

So what is life LIKE for a Cheeseburger in Paradise? One would think it would involve not being eaten. ;)

My weekend shall consist of getting caught up on my sorely neglected blogging duties. And playing with my nephew tomorrow. Yay!

Mocha with Linda said...

I don't even watch the silly thing, and every time I read these posts I start hearing David Gates/Bread singing "I'm Lost Without Your Love".

These 80's babies have nothing on us gals from the 70's.

SweetBee said...

Since we are still at the beginning of Season 2 AND watching current episodes, I haven't considered Penny's dad. He hasn't been introduced into our cast yet, well, until this week at the auction. But, now I'll be on the lookout for signs that Penny's dad is the bad guy!!!

I always look forward to what you have to say about Lost. I enjoy others perspectives. They catch the little things I miss!

Shonda said...

Well I must confess I'm glad I'm not the only mom with hysteria. My 18 year old son is driving 3 hours away for spring break to meet up with friends. I'd be lying if I said I'm not worried at all.

Blessings in Christ--

KT said...

Loved this post. LOVED it! I read your blog often but hardly ever comment. I think our mutual love of Lost has done it, I must comment....

Thank you for filling me in on the Black Rock artifact tidbit. I did not make that connection between Penelope's dad and the island, was way too busy wondering how Desmond tracked him down so quickly....and how did he get out of the military so fast, was he on leave? I think he mentioned a pass, but anyway, I missed that part and appreciate the tip!

The Kate and Aaron thing bugs me, too, I'm wondering if that means Claire is definitely a goner or whether she somehow sacrificed herself for Aaron, like agreeing to stay on the island for research in exchange for Aaron to be free.

Guess that's how they keep us watching each week!
Take care,
Katie

Amy Wyatt said...

Aaahh... Cheeseburger in Paradise. I like mine with lettuce and tomato, Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes, a big juicy pickle and a cold glass... wait... I don't do that anymore.
Hope you have fun with your kids this weekend.
I'll be praying for your daughter as she travels overseas.
BTW... Thanks for being my time traveling constant. LOL

msdebbiea said...

Amen! (mom of another 19 year old boy)

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

I have been on that Jack the Ripper tour, twice. It's actually fabulous that she is doing this Linda - it will make her VERY cautious of strangers!!!!

katy said...

Amen sister....some girl can have my son when she shows me she can take care of him like mom can.

Suzio said...

I used to watch LOST until it LOST me, I couldn't keep up with all the craziness. Reading the LOST posts do make me want to get caught up with the show again. :0)

Tammy said...

OK...non AI, non-Lostie here reporting for duty.

BUT...did you happen to catch the Osmonds on PBS tonight? Loved it, loved it...I tried to make my eight year old watch it with me, but she could only humor me for so long before wanting to go play some game with her dad. Go figure! ;)

And I can relate to your mom paranoia stuff...I have to stop myself a lot with this! But yes, going all the way across the Atlantic is a big deal...especially to us moms!...but I know how excited she must be!

Lelia Chealey said...

Hope you had a great time celebrating your son this weekend.
Will say a prayer for your daughter for safe travel. I can't stand when my daughter leaves the city let alone the country!

Life In Progress said...

Oh, the joys of LOST. I wrote a few of my thoughts on my blog too. I have so many theories & ideas - I feel like I should start keeping a notebook!!

The waiting may kill me.

A Stone Gatherer said...

Boy I have forgotten so much! We watched Lost today and I didn't even notice what ship Penelope's father was bidding on! What is wrong with me! Now Amy has got me wondering if I should find a "constant"! Oh yeah I have one! God is my Constant!!! Have a great week!

Joanna said...

Hey I heard that the person in the casket might be Claire. When Jack went to funeral he was asked if he was friend or family and he said either. Claire is his half sister. Kate not wanting to go cuz she has Aaron.

I'm wondering if Locke's Dad coming on island etc is all part of time travel. Just a thought.

I'm now creeped out that Des looks like Barry Gibb.

MoodyBlue said...

"I am hoping that Amanda goes, as well. She's trying too hard. It's over the top. It's Cruella DeVille meets Bonnie Tyler"

BEST LINE EVER!!! I totally agree, plus she doesn't smile & shows no expressions.