Wednesday, March 12, 2008

American Idol Recap

First: A little housekeeping. Every time I see that espresso drip up there, I am filled with joy. I'm still working on fixing up a couple of things on this new design, so I appreciate your comments about the text.

Let's take a vote concerning readability of the text. Pretend you're in the eye doc's office getting that exam where you have a giant wheel stuck on your face. OK now,
"Which is better, 1 or 2?"

1. This is American Idol.

OR
2. The night belonged to Chikezie.

Did I just say that? Yep. Chikezie was off the heezie. (Outdated but rhymes nicely.) One of my favorite parts of this show which also occurred in the last show was the quick shot of Chikezie's family after he was declared safe last week and after he "smashed it," as Randy said, this week. I think it's Chikezie's mother or grandmother who throws up her hands and says, "Praise Jesus!" and some other unintelligible phrases. It was like a little church service happening in that row. It's very sweet, but it also makes me laugh because she looks like someone has been healed or the church just got a huge bequeathment right at the end of the year. I have replayed that moment several times. Ahhh, Tivo.

I loved Chikezie's unmitigated humble joy and Ryan's nuttiness to underscore it. I love this show.

I agree with the judges' observations about Ramiele's performance: catnap time. It was like a lullabye. Seriously, my thoughts drifted to other stuff besides the show during her number, which is not a good sign if that happened to the rest of America. The whole thing reminded me of Parker Posey's Dairy Queen speech in Waiting for Guffman:


been workin' here at the D.Q. for about, um... eight months? Seven? I don't know, somethin' like that, it's fun. Just do the cones... make sundaes, make Blizzards, 'n... put stuff on 'em, 'n... see a lot of people come in, a lot of people come to the D.Q... burgers... ice cream... anything, you know? Cokes... just drive in and get a Coke ... if you're thirsty.

Snooze.



Jason Castro: "If I Fell in Love with 'Hugh'?" I seriously think he pronounced "you" that way every time. All I could think of was this Hugh. America: does Jason secretly heart Hugh?

David Cook: I have tried to stay away from the hair, but I can no longer restrain myself. What is up with that comb-over? It's like someone sprayed a hose from the back and blasted his hair forward. I am married to a bald man who shaves off what he does have around the sides or leaves it barely there. Jorge embraces his baldness. He has made me sensitive to the comb-over, which is why I also don't like flat, sweeping bangs to the side on women. They remind me of Donald Trump. But since this is a singing competition, I have to give him credit. He's getting better and better.

Kristy Lee Cook is the opposite of David. She looks great but sings poorly. Oh, I guess she sings all right, but I am not a country fan, so it's hard for me to appreciate her style, especially the treatment (not even going to say arrangement) of "Eight Days a Week." [tiny wince of pain at the recollection]

David Archuleta: Oh how sad. I hope people don't send him home for having a middle-aged menopausal moment.

My final comment is about Amanda Overmyer, honors graduate of the Janis Joplin School of Musical Styling, apparently located somewhere in rural Indiana. I actually enjoyed her performance tonight for the first time ever. I was feeling all nice about myself liking her and being open-minded, until she did that corny Devil's Fingers thing with her tongue out like a 14 year-old boy in a garage band. If you're going to do Devil Fingers, at least put on a nice pantsuit and put your tongue back in your mouth, as demonstrated so elegantly here by LB:


18 comments:

Jacki said...

Haha....I have to agree with your Idol Recap. Chikezie was by far the best of the night.

And thanks for stopping by my blog. Do you mind if I add your to my blogroll? I am definitely coming back for more coffee.

Oh, and I think #1 is the best font.

Deven said...

Definitely 1. Have you considered a different color for the font?

Darlene R. said...

#1 is better.
I have so fallen off the AI bandwagon! I feel so lost!

And to LB I say, "Hook'em Horns"
I kind of chuckled when I noticed her other hand. :)

~Nancy~ said...

The tiny black font on the dark background, especially where it is really dark, is almost impossible for me to read. I couldn't see some of the words.
Overall, I struggled to read it.
But I love your coffee cup! So cool!

Linda said...

darlene r: I didn't notice her left hand until you said something. I def think she is pointing to the bad place.

Amy Wyatt said...

What? Nothing about that crazy "I saw her standing there" peformance?" Maybe it just disappeared from your mind... David Copperfield does that sometimes, you know makes things disappear. Agreed with your recap... except I kind of like Kristy Cook if she would just pick the right country song. I hated what she did to 8 days a week. I also felt very sorry for David A. I was in so much pain for him... but he IS only a JUNIOR in high school. I like the #1 font but the back ground color does make it a little hard to read. Have a great day!

Susanne said...

I like the darker font.

I felt bad for little David to but he did admit he was totally out of his element and if anything his fan base will really rally around him this week.

Where did this Chikizie come from? Iwas so happy for him!

Amy said...

Oh Linda, you make me laugh! You have the guts to say what I am thinking. The comb over, c'mon dude!

Another piece of useless information from me is that Amanda Overmyer used to work here in Crawfordsville at Crash McClain's. She also got arrested for a DUI in 2006. I, personally don't care for her. But we'll see how she does. I think either Country Girl or Ramielle will go home tonight. But you never know, do ya?

Love, love, love your new look!

Lois E. Lane said...

Well, as the sister of a Longhorn, I have to point out those are not devil fingers the First Lady is displaying...though it's a much funnier picture that way :)

Mocha with Linda said...

Devil's Fingers?!?!

Oh my, your halo just slipped. Them's fightin' words. LOL

Robin said...

I love your new look! That little expresso machine has me totally hypnotized!
And I love Chikezie too - and his mama even more!

Fiddledeedee (It Coulda' Been Worse) said...

Funny! But Linda, how can you not comment on the banter between Simon and Ryan? When Ryan went to pick up Brooke's shoes, and Simon (in his haughty British dialect) said, "Those are HERS, Ryan." Well. We nearly fell off the bed laughing.

Really. Those two make the show.

Merrie said...

not devil fingers - Texas Longhorn!

but, I'm laughing at it all!

MoodyBlue said...

Linda, again, love the new look. I think #1 the darker print works better..the lighter one blends with the brown.

I totally agree with what you said. Ok..well you know I love David Cook, but the hair thing made me LOL! You are so funny! Loved Chikezie..So proud of him. I knew he had it in him. Carly was another of my favorites of the night & cannot forget my other guy Michael Johns. I think I posted this already forgive me if it is a repeat...but Michael Johns should have done either "Revolution" or "Helter Skelter".

Roxanne said...

Oh, Merrie, I was JUST about to correct that tiny faux pas of the non-Texan blogger here. Alas, Hook 'em Horns!!!! (Even though I'm only a transplanted Texan and went to college in Arkansas, I can throw around the lingo.)

annie's eyes said...

Oh, Linda. We have known each other far too long for me not to have shared that with you on the Longhorn thing. (like that should have happened the second week!) It's also just one finger short of the international "I love you" sign language, or one finger too many...never mind. LOVE your new "look." I am liking the bold font too. Very cool. Love, A in TEXAS (Hook 'em--not for me but for daughter #2)

Teri said...

The dollar is down, gas is up, stocks dropped 200 this morning and LB is flashing the devil horns...what is this world coming to? (Thanks for the clarification about the "Hook em Horns" I just think this pic of LB is hilarious...especially if one Hwasn't enlightened!)

Hope today is better for you girl!
Ter

Cindy said...

Love the new look. You and your friends are too funny. I lived in Ft. Worth for about 9 years so I am familiar with the Hook em Horns thing. It's just gross when it is done while sticking your tongue out i.e. Amanda O. I was totally surprised Country Girl didn't go home. Right now Brooke's my fav. So glad I came to your party. Look forward to keeping in touch.