Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Life Re-Cap

Wreck: First of all, you guys are awesome. Your kind comments could tempt a girl to throw a pity party every so many weeks just for the massive love.
I couldn't figure out why everyone was so concerned about my wreck, so I went back to read what I said, and I did indeed make it sound as though I ran over my co-worker! I am happy to report that Leslie is alive and well and running our cafe today, so now you can relax. She was in the building when the incident occurred.

We were parked closely together and when I was backing out, I heard "shcraaaape."

And then I had the wonderful moment of going back in and telling Leslie what I had just done.

Oddly, my gas tank cover caught on her vehicle. The result was that my cover got all twisted around and the body was somewhat scratched, and Leslie's vehicle had a scratch and a hole about the size of a nickel.

I have first-time accident forgiveness, so my premiums won't go up, but there is a deductible, of course.

It's not true forgiveness and grace, though, because I have now used up my one pardon; they won't forgive me twice, let alone 70 x 7. I guess the insurance company isn't all that jazzed about WWJD and holiness and stuff.

So, yeah, I hit the vehicle of one of the nicest ladies I know and who I have to see every day and re-live the embarrassment. I felt so bad all yesterday afternoon that I didn't go to my Bible/book study because I just didn't think I could make polite conversation without crying. So I sat in a chair and read. And then I watched American Idol and Chikezie gave me a reason to live again.

But thanks for caring. You really did make me feel better.

About my last AI Re-Cap: Several of you took me to task for silence regarding pivotal moments such as Simon jabbing Ryan about Brooke's shoes. Well, I was shell-shocked from the smash-up. But I will tell you this, "Chikezie" has worked its way into this household's vernacular. If you're doing something that doesn't take much effort, it is now "Chikeasy." Or "I'm just Chikezin'" (like Chillin'). I have also heard, "Easy, Breezy Chikezie." Today, I overheard the kids calling Zoe "Chikezie." I'm going to have to draw the line if they start referring to Grandma as "Chikezie."

Font: Yeah, we're still workin' on that.

Hook 'Em Horns vs Debil Fingers: Wow, Y'ALL sure get riled up about nomenclatures! I don't know what a "Hook 'Em Horns" is, but I don't like the sound of it. So I did what all 21st Century inquiring minds do (No, we do not read The Enquirer; that is so 20th Century!) we go to Wikipedia, the fount of all grain-of-salt knowledge. Here is what I found about misunderstandings of the Horns: In some European cultures, the identical corna gesture is used to suggest spousal infidelity or satanic association. Images of Jenna Bush publicly "throwing the horns" resulted in startled reactions in Norway. In 1985, five Americans were arrested, due to its satanic connotations after dancing and displaying the gesture in front of the Vatican while celebrating the victory of the Longhorns. So, you see, I am not the only one in the world who doesn't know what a Hook 'Em Horns is or when it would appropriate to "throw" said Hook 'Em Horns. So ... get back, Loretta.

News from London:

College Daughter just emailed to say she sat next to a drunk man on the train and that last night she saw Wicked. From her chronicles: After the first 30 seconds of the show, the curtain dropped and the show stopped for about 20 minutes...Glinda's bubble was broken (or burst--ha!) so they had to take time to fix it. It's really important to the show--she gets in and out of it several times. The clamor over this show is lost on me completely, but I'll take 9 billion other people's word for it and believe that it's amazing.

College Son is on break this week in lovely Muncie, Indiana, where God makes giant slushies at the annual March spring carnival in parking lots all over the city. This kid is driving me nuts. He makes fun of the way I say "when" because I pronounce it "hwen." My 9th grade English teacher said that you should be able to hear the "H" at the beginning of "when," "what," etc., and I have pronounced it that way ever since because I liked her so much. And, after all, when you say "whose," you don't say, "woose." But he thinks this is so funny that he exaggerates it completely and uses it on every "wh" word that he can, plus other "w" words like, "Mother, I Hwish you Hwould have Hwashed my Hwhites." To which I reply, "Son, I'm going to Hwip you until you Hwish you Hweren't such a Hwiseguy." He goes back Sunday afternoon. I'll be sad then. Not Hnow.

21 comments:

Melanie said...

If it makes you feel any better, my husband did this same thing TO MY CAR in OUR DRIVEWAY.

Double deductible.

Ouch.

amyanne said...

Love the new blog look! And thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

Susanne said...

I think I like your son's sense of humor. But probably because it's happening to you and not me. LOL. My son takes great pleasure in driving me nuts that way too!

Bummer on the deductible but I'm glad to see that was the extent of the damage.

I can't believe you didn't mention a sorta bearded Sanjaya in the AI crowd tonight. Could he have slipped past your radar or is he so yesterday now. ;v)

annie's eyes said...

I am so glad you're all okay...Still laughing at your son's notation of how to say hwen. And that you actually can say it hright. You'll miss him a lot on Sunday! We just can't seem to say that here. We do good to point and say "Hook 'em y'all." Loving your posts and the smiles they bring me. Annette

Ruthie said...

I love it! I have been teased for that very thing -- not by my own offspring, but by other, less knowledgeable and articulate people who leave out the "h" sound. They would make no distinction between "whale" and "wail." I say they're two very different-sounding words.

So don't change. That "h" is there for a reason!

Mocha with Linda said...

Hwell, hwen I was in college, (at that place where HOOK 'EM HORNS is SACRED!!!) my friends used to get me to count to ten so they could hear me say "nah-ine." These were the "northern" girls -- from Dallas, dontcha know -- laughing at my southern Houston/East Texas accent.

So tell your boy to count his blessings.

Maybe that's why I like My Fair Lady so much!

Glad just the cars are banged up and not you and Leslie.

"Chikezie?" Gesundheit!

Nise' said...

Oh, the sense of humor of our young adult sons...sometimes I just want to smack it right out of his brain..NO, not really, I miss him, I really do. I thought for sure Kristy Lee was going last night. By the way, I LOVE your new look.

Lois E. Lane said...

OK, you're not the only one in the WORLD who doesn't know...you and the Norwegians have to something to commiserate about :)

Hmmmm..."Grace Auto Insurance." Perhaps you've stumbled on something here?

BethAnne said...

Sorry about the car, but I love the new blog look!

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Hwat?!? You whave a son that's a whiseguy?

Hwat a surprise.

Kelley at Aroma of Joy said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better! Blog life would not be the same without the daily fix of 2nd Cup!!

~~Kelley

Fran said...

Oh I totally get not going to Bible study and feeling like you might cry.....but, at least you hit the nicest girl in the world.

Hope today has been fabulous! ;)
Love,
Fran

Carol said...

We HAVE to get our college sons together somehow. Or maybe that would be dangerous for their moms. Anyway, can I change my vote about the fonts? I like normal font better, not the bold. Just my $.02.
~Carol who throws like a girl

Simple Journeys said...

Wow, I'm out for a couple of days and can't believe all I've missed! You've been on a real tear! First, I LOVE your new blog design! Rich and lucious! So fitting for your 2nd cup! Next, sorry about your car. And finally, your AI recaps are the best! Whew, I think that catches me up! :)

marina said...

I am so gald you are doing so much better!! Hope you had some choclate!! marina
PS. thanks for stopping by my blog!

Laura said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new look! Just gonna go back up to the top and get my next cup of coffee, and come back and read for a while....

Darlene R. said...

I'm so glad you didn't run over your wonderful co-worker!

It sounds like your day is going much better.

I love the whole Chikezie thing! Easy Chikezie, lemon squeezy!

PJ said...

Let's see can I do this? Take it Chikeasy about the car. Every Hone Side s.Hwipes a car some time in her life!!! Nope. Just don't have it in me.

I once rear-ended a car. we both pulled over, it turned out to be a former co-worker I'd hit. The cop comes and can't get us to quit talking long enough to make the report. Honest! He was irritated because we were too busy catching up on news...gossip?... to answer his questions!!

Heth said...

Glad the accident wasn't major! Sorry about your car though.

I came to your blog this morning and haven't watched Lost yet. I should have known better than to visit 2nd cup on a Friday morning. Can't wait to watch it and then come back and read your review!

Ann said...

Your family has such a wonderful sense of humor! I love it!

I'll never forget in my college days (I was a freshman), I was in the van with my mom who was driving. As we were pulling into the driveway, I noticed a car parked right at the end of our driveway. I even said something to Mom about what a bad idea it is to park at the end of someone's driveway, because they could hit your car as they back out.

Well, we pulled in the driveway, mom got out and went in the house, and I hopped over into the driver's seat to borrow the van and started backing out of the driveway. And yep. I most certainly hit that dumb car at the end of our driveway, MINUTES after commenting on it to my mom. I thought I had backed into a hump of snow and the van was snagged on it, but nope, it was that car. And the more I hit the accelerater to get over what I thought was a hump of snow, the more I crammed the van into that car. I found out it was the car of a senior at the same college I went to. I sat near her in choir. I was so incredibly embarrassed.

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Wicked is INCREDIBLE!! I hwish you would go see it.

Is your son at Ball State? We're in IU country here.