Tuesday, March 11, 2008

WHAM!


OK, ever since Luke Menard sang "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" on American Idol, our entire family has been singing it. It's like a worm in our brains. I think I heard our dog humming it. I also have that Zoolander gasoline scene looping in my head. Thanks, Luke.

WHAM! has particular significance to me because my husband's true full name is George Michael, although I often call him "Jorge," which, for my fellow Hoosiers, is pronounced, "Hor-hay." Stalkers, stay away. This George Michael is straight and mine.

Anyway, I was sitting here at the computer and "George Michael" was in the kitchen, and we were singing together, although in separate rooms, a rather enthusiastic and magical rendition of "Wake Me Up" for the listening enjoyment of our teenagers.

So we got to the line, "You make the sun shine brighter than Doris Day," and suddenly, Jorge calls out to me, "That's a neat line!"

I yell back, "Really? Because I really, really like that lyric! I think it's clever!"

And he shouts again, "Yes, I was being serious!"

"Really? Me TOO!" (Now it's like we're IN that Zoolander scene.)

"Yeah!"

And then, little cartoon red hearts floated out of my head and into the kitchen where I'm sure Jorge snatched them out of the air and tucked them into his shirt next to his heart.

But then our daughter ruined the moment by saying, "Who is Doris Day?"

Once again, I see that I have failed as a mom.

I replied, "She was a movie star in the 1950's, very ... light, happy, sort of a girl next door ...."

Then Jorge interrupted from the kitchen with a lilting, "I'd say the word you're looking for is 'effervescent.'"

Cracked me UP. Oh, how I love this Goofball.

Our kids? Not so enamored with either of us. I'm sure Elijah Blue and Chastity didn't appreciate their singing parents, either.

Now, you know you want to hear it ... you know you want to sing it ... you know you want to see those rockin' 80's fashions ....

So here is George Michael and ... that other guy (?), singing the apparent theme song of my marriage. Notice please WHAM!'s and the background singers' costumes: all white with "Choose Life" written in large sized letters. What in the world was that about?

Also notice please, that the background singers have white Choose Life t-shirts on with long tulip-like skirts, which is a sort of a scary cult look. You will see these long skirts best at the end of the video. Those long skirts must have been rather restrictive and kept the background singers from leaping about like WHAM! does during this entire song, when they're not smiling in a close-up like a Pearl Drops Tooth Polish commercial.

Also notice please, the hair of the fans in the audience. They loved George so much they copied his hair and makeup. And do not miss Other Guy's mullet hat, which my son particularly enjoyed pointing out.

But, of all things you must notice, PLEASE don't miss the boys in their shorts at the end.

And remember, you heard it from Paula Abdul herself, she choreographed this tour.

The worm in my brain has been fed AGAIN in posting this for you. But it was worth it. And just so you know, this is my favorite post ever.

30 comments:

Gerbil said...

My middle sister used to listen to that song nearly every morning but it wasn't as endearing since The Hair, makeup and layered polos took hours to perfect... George Michael the SInger is hard to face at 4:30.

msdebbiea said...

We ROCKED, didn't we? hehehehe. . .I am smiling, BIG! :)

Teri said...

My sister went to London the summer this song came out. She came home full of "effervescence" about this song. It put me higher up on the middle school food chain when I actually KNEW the song before it became a hit. Big sisters, they really take care of you!
Although, she was raving about George Michael and how cute he was...I must admit...I probably uttered a "Gag me" when I saw the video...his big white teeth blinded my eyes...

I will probably be singing this song for the next decade thanks to this post...I had JUST got it out of my mind after Idol!!!

Amy Wyatt said...

Too funny! You could have saved this post for Saturday. It would have been a great link for Then Sings My Soul... but I don't know if this one exactly makes my soul sing... it just stays in my head all day playing over and over and over... Did you see George Michael sing "Faith" on Eli Stone? Also too funny.

MoodyBlue said...

What a great blog Linda!! Thanks for inviting me over. I'm looking for good, honest blogs which are fun with a good sense of humor! Glad you stopped by!!! I have added your blog to "my list". Hehehe

George Michael...Loved him growing up! That song is very catchy. Unfortunately for Luke Menard, it didn't win the audience over. Aww!

beckyjomama said...

OK - first of all, curse you woman ... the worm has now entered MY brain!!!
Secondly, I was sucked in by the picture of Doris Day (LOVE her!!!) and now I will be having visions of un-straight men in way too short shorts with their way too white teeth and way too stupid hats flying through my head for ... oh, I don't know ETERNITY (at least that is what it will seem like!!!
And Thirdly - someday my children will see this and they will ask "mom, is that when you grew up?" I will say "yes, this is what was on every TV in America when I was coming of age" and they will smile at eachother and say "that explains SOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!"

Anyhoo - thanks for making me laugh at myself ... to think that I once had a RECORD of this song!

Oh how we live and learn!
Becky Jo

Ruthie said...

That's funny, because my kids have been singing it, too. Not at all annoying, by the way, since they only know two lines of the song, so have to repeat those two lines over and over endlessly.

Killer Queen went through my head for two weeks after Luke sang it, too. I had to google the lyrics so it could at least loop accurately.

I may have to stop watching American Idol!

Melanie said...

I totally dressed like that in high school.

For years, when one of us has to get up before the other one and we want to see each other, my husband and I will say "wake me up before you go go." No kidding.

Sister, we are soooo alike.

Susanne said...

The dancing shorts cracked me right up! And you say Paula actually admitted to choreographing this? That is fuuny!

Adventures In Babywearing said...

OH, I wish I were on my 2nd cup of coffee right now, and this is too funny about Wham! In elementary school I had friends OBSESSED with Wham and many a choreographed dance was done in front of the mirror! : )

Steph

Tina said...

oh my goodness! THAT is absolutely hysterical. I love the white socks with the pumps.... totally cool.

I love the 80's.

Melanie said...

oh, WOW -- I had totally forgotten about this song. I was in high school when this song was released -- loved it then!

And, yea... I think I'll probably be singing it the rest of the day. :)

Cyndy said...

Okay, the song has now "jitterbugged it's way into my brain". I love the day-glo stuff at the end as well.

samurai said...

Great, now I have that song running through my head... thanks! LOL

Have a blessed day...

Kelly @ Love Well said...

The worm is multiplying. It's gone viral. (Like Internet viral? Get it?!?)

But truthfully? I'm a mom to preschoolers. It's either George or the Wiggles.

I choose life. I mean, George.

Faith said...

This post cracked me up. I was in my early 20's when that song was big. and guess what...I kid you not: when I first got engaged to my hubby he owned a huge Choose Life shirt. It is now a rag in our basement for when we need to paint, etc. LOL

Maggie - Mom of Six said...

I think i just threw out an old pair of my husband's shorts that looked just like those! I will have this song in my head all day and I am sure my kids will appreciate hearing it all afternoon! Thanks! I love trips down memory lane!

Mocha with Linda said...

I dunno. Watching a guy who's prettier than I am and spends more time on makeup and hair kinda creeps me out.

And "effervescent"? The worm that causes is "plop, plop, fizz, fizz, Oh what a relief it is".

Those shorts were something else. I think Richard Simmons must've done their wardrobe.

Fiddledeedee (It Coulda' Been Worse) said...

Granted, i was not benefitting from my glasses when I arrived at your post. But the first thing I thought when I saw Doris Day, was "LOOK how cute Linda's hair is today!."

Not even kidding.

Ann said...

Your husband is really funny! Just thinking about his response to Jordan's Gangsta Rap comment.

Have you seen Music and Lyrics? It kind of makes fun of 80's bands like WHAM! with the "Pop! Goes My Heart" song.

Shan said...

That's funny. My husband is Michael George and I call him Hor-Hay some times too.

Kelley at Aroma of Joy said...

That is NOT how I remember the 80s!
How in the world did we survive it? Sometimes it is better to just not look back but keep your eyes on the future! But then again, how would we entertain ourselves (or our children)? Perhaps history is God's way of keeping us humble!

~~Kelley
I still can't get over those shorts!

Amy said...

Did you know Luke Menard was from right here in my hometown of Crawfordsville? But why oh why did he sing Wham? As much as I wanted my homeboy to do well, he needed to go home though. Sigh.

I know his mom real well and adore her so I hope she isn't into blogging...lol!

Que sera sera!

Tammy said...

This post and video brought a HUGE smile to my face! I was right back in college...never was like a huge fan of GM (OK, did you notice that "like" in my sentence just then? I told you it put me right back in college, circa 1984...I mean...this was, like, a totally rad visit back in time, Linda!) ;)

And by the way, I love you and your hubby were interacting...now that's true love!

PJ said...

Oh my! Oh My! Now which ones are girls and which boys???!! :) And yes!! Me too! That song is in my brain and I'll be singing it FOREVER!

Yikes! Those blue and white shorts!!!

Kimberly said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for giving my belly laughs! Today was good but I spent most of it being serious. Needed this! :-)

Fran said...

Ok...LOVIN the new look!! Holy cow! Who did it?? Please don't tell me you did bc then I will feel completely inadequate!

And...can't wait for an AI post.
What did ya think??

Love,
Fran

Roxanne said...

I will never forget the first time I heard this song before school on FM 102--the HOTTEST radio station in Monroe, Louisiana. We loved it. I had a CHOOSE LIFE shirt. We also used to lick the pastel coating on Robin's Eggs and smear them on our lips so we would look like they did in this video.

My daughter is only yet 9, but I have a LONG, LONG way to go to get her through Jr. High and High School--you have reminded me of just how far when I think back to my on time.

Ilona said...

Linda,
the "other guy" was Andrew Ridgeley - I actually swooned more over him than George ... oh, the good ole times :o)

Ann said...

Hello, Linda! I love your new look!!! Heth told me you posted about last night's Lost episode, but I don't see it, the most recent post I see is this one. I just thought I'd let you know, and I'm going to call her and tell her to read your Lost post to me! Have a great night!