Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Thursday Thirteen - City Names I've Known and Loved From Sitemeter


13 Favorite US city names from visitors to my blog:

1. Bala Cynwyd, PA

Is this an elfin name? I have no idea how to pronounce it.

2. Niceville, FL

Insert great big smiley face on water tower.

3. Schuylkill, PA

Does this name rhyme with "chill pill?"

4. Chickamauga, GA

Current Mayor of Chickamauga: Ray Crowder. Current Recorder: Juanita Crowder. Crowder + Crowder = conflict of interest = "Scandal in Chickamauga," the next "Dateline with Stone Phillips."

5. Rancho Cucamonga, CA

According to Wikipedia: In popular media, "Cucamonga" has been recognized as a funny-sounding place name. One of the catch-phrases of the radio show "The Jack Benny Program" involved a train announcer (Mel Blanc) who said over the loudspeaker, "Train now leaving on track five for Anaheim, Azusa, and Cuc... amonga," taking progressively longer pauses between "Cuc" and "amonga." Gee, the joke kind of loses something in translation.

6. Jerusalem, PA

I'll never get to the real Jerusalem, but I could make it to Jerusalem, PA, and technically be telling the truth when I say I've been to Jerusalem.

7. Flippin, AK

Does every citizen of Flippin know the official salute?

8. Aiken, SC

Clay keeps accumulating honors and awards. When will it ever be enough, Clay?!

9. Carefree, AZ

Wear a gauzy dress and swing high to the treetops in halcyon, Carefree, AZ.

10. Waxhaw, NC

This city, like my own fair city, has a female mayor. Good for you, Waxhaw. Wax-on, Wax-haw.

11. Sammamish, WA

Don't miss the city council meeting, Tuesday, Mar. 18, 2008, 6:30-10 p.m., City Hall at Sammamish Commons - Council Chambers. B there or B Square. What? You missed it? I can mail you a transcript for only $24.95.

12. Mustang, OK

I went to Mustang's home page and found this: Mustang employs cutting edge Internet technology to provide its citizens with the utmost in economic and expedient services. Interestingly, I tried to click around the site, but it was not working. The city of Mustang might want to edit that statement.

13. Lititz, PA

First of all, let me say that according to Sitemeter, the new bathroom scale, someone really loves me in Lititz. A little Internet trip to Lititz informed me that it is in the heart of Lancaster County, PA, which I have visited and loved. Here's one example of why: Every Second Friday of each month, 5-8 p.m., local residents and visitors alike are invited to head to downtown Lititz, PA, a cool, safe and comfortable place for family and friends to get together-all ages welcome. Enjoy dinner downtown then take a relaxing stroll down the streets of our historic village - take your time! I love Lititiz so much that I want this Lititz promo tattooed over my heart.

15 comments:

Melanie said...

Cute idea!!

Fresh Girl said...

It won't be enough until Clay has achieved world domination! Bwahahaha! ;)

Nicholas said...

An interesting selection. That first one looks Welsh to me.

WendyWings said...

We have a Bethlehem so I can say I have been there without leaving New Zealand :)
Great list,and have a happy TT ( which is far better then wishing you a happy period)

Irishcoda said...

Those are some really cool names! I would also be partial to some with a Native American flavor on Long Island:

Hauppauge
Copiague
Massapequa

Amy Wyatt said...

Since you are checking sitemeter... your new bathroom scale... lest you think I am a stalker I must tell you that my husband is now quite addicted to your humor too and clicks to your site several times a day through mine to check for a new post. Last night he laughed out loud at your post about Clinton Kelly... and he doesn't even know who Clinton Kelly is.
I told you that muppets post about the candidates would hook him.
I'm dying to know your AI review from last night. Hurry...Hurry...Hurry.

A Stone Gatherer said...

Look like some wonderful cities to visit!

annie's eyes said...

You know your brain just goes to different places than most--and I mean that in the best way! Here are two for you from Texas--Cut n Shoot--been there have the t-shirt, and Waxahachie, TX just south of Ft Worth. Now you might not want to visit, but if SiteMeter ever shows up with Cut n Shoot on your blog, call me immediately because that means they got electricity and running water, AND the NET and that would be very newsworthy! Love your 13 today. Another smile from Linda I am thankful for. Love, Annette

Mocha with Linda said...

That's hilarious. I'll have to start paying more attention to the towns on mine.

'Course, nothing gets much weirder than Texas town names.

Cut and Shoot
Muleshoe
Bigfoot
Uncertain
Early
Happy
Earth
Jolly
Smiley
Gun Barrel City
Point, not to be confused with
Point Comfort, which is totally different from
Point Blank
Scissors


And the town of West is actually in Central Texas, while Center is really more towards East Texsa.

Yeehaw! (And no, we don't all ride horses and pack heat down here!)

Carol said...

Though I knew exactly who Clinton Kelly is, sitemeter is something that leaves me dazed and confused. It is beyond my kindergarten-ish computer skills comprehension. But it sounds facinating. Happy Easter, Linda!
~Carol (i throw like a girl)

dcrmom said...

Fun new design! And it's pronounced Bala (as in Gala) Kin-wood

MoodyBlue said...

I've actually been to Lititz. Alot of Amish people live there. I love Lancaster County. We go there for long weekends. They have the funniest names of towns there.
I swear these are real!

1) Bird-In-Hand
2) Intercourse
3) Paradise
4) Blueball
5) Gap

PJ said...

Fun!! Wouldn't it be great to plan a vacation and visit such places??? And then write a book -- kind of like the "Red Couch" book only this one with cities!

Ann said...

cute creative post, Linda!

claudia said...

I am a hop and a skip away from Chickamauga so i was tickled to see this.. ! I also loved your CLinton Kelly post! claudia