Friday, March 07, 2008

Who are These People, And Why Do They Have Spirit Fingers?

No, they're not in a Godspell production.

They're not in a deodorant commercial.

They're not on a cruise ship.



They are not an improperly dressed and pitifully lack-lustre exercise class.

They are, in fact, the staff I work with at UC, just ending the cheer "Two Bits." I am not in this photo because I snapped it. And, when I practiced the cheer, I was in the back where no man will ever see me.

Because it's not 1980 anymore. (Far left. Awesome shoes, Squad.)

Why is the staff cheering? It's a rehearsal for tonight, our annual big doo-dah volunteer appreciation banquet. Because at Union Chapel, we love our volunteers. A lot. One year we did a western theme, which thrilled my boss from Abilene, one year we did a cruise theme and sent two lucky vols on a cruise at the end of the night, and last year, it was an Oscar-ish theme, with staff wearing formal wear and serving dinner, etc. There is always extensive, extensive decorating and door prizes and great food and a lovely time had by all.

This year, the theme is "sports," thus the cheers and chants at the end of the night to yell at our volunteers that we are so much for them, we will "stand up and holler." That is love.

**********
Edit: In yesterday's post, I was at my boss's desk when he was in Kazakhstan (my take on taking over while he was gone.) He does not usually have a doily table cloth on his desk or stuffed animals in there. But it was a nice touch, don't you think? Especially the feet on the desk?

In other news: Pray for College Daughter who leaves for London tonight. I will be serving up food at the banquet and not seeing her off at the airport, and that makes me sad. Here she is having a mountain-top experience in Mexico last year.

Other other news: The next time you come back to 2nd Cup (please do) it may look very different--yes, I feel the ground rumbling even now as big changes are coming ...

Other "OTHER" news: First of all, how many times can Kate get clonked on the head without sustaining drain bamage?

Secondly, who is the man on Ben's boat?? For a couple of weeks, I thought it was Michael. And what if it's a female that they've been calling Ben's "man?"

Then last night, I was suddenly seized by the possibility: Charlie?! Oh please (writers? producers? Oprah?) let Charlie come back to us. I need to hear "You All Everybody" by Driveshaft one more time. Finally, I think Juliet is beautiful. But I am mesmerized by her curly mouth. I finally realized what it reminds me of, and this may be why I don't trust her:

20 comments:

A Stone Gatherer said...

Had to skip the lost part for now, haven't watched it yet! I love your volunteer appreciation dinner! I've always wanted to have one for our volunteers but others have said, no one would come. Do you have a good turn out? Can you give me some advice? My email is skjbvh4 at allcom dot net.

Kim said...

Praying for a safe flight for your kiddo! Pray for a safe return flight for mine, k? Dang it's hard to "let" them travel and grow up and stuff!

Oh, and btw, I haven't jumped on the LOST wagon yet, but I keep thinking I might. I'm just hesitant to get addicted to yet another thing! :) My beloved "The Office" is coming back soon, so I'm not sure I can handle more than that and Idol, and I'm not willing to sacrifice either one of those.

Have a Blessed Day!

Hunker down! :)

Melanie said...

So, how many times did you tell your daughter all the dangers of traveling? At least 1000, I hope. :>) Praying for her.

(And yes, I made up the paranoia quote. One never knows what one can come up with while in a Girl Scout Cookie haze.)

Carol said...

I am so cracking up right now at your comparison of Juliet to the Grinch. Where do you come up with this stuff?! OK, I do think maybe the person on the boat is Michael or maybe is Jack's dad. Wasn't his body in a coffin on the plane? If John can walk again, then perhaps Jack's dad can come back to life???

T said...

I don't know. I still think it might be Michael. It would be so cool if it were Charlie... I miss Charlie! But, I still think Michael.

BethAnne said...

Rockin' cheerleader picture! I just love your blog!

Michelle said...

I love your sense of humor. I pray your daughter has a safe trip.

samurai said...

Loved the picture of your boss' desk... LOL

Hope you have a great weekend.

KarenW said...

I miss Charlie but I don't think it's him on the boat. I am getting more and more lost as I watch this show.

linda said...

Just now said a special prayer for my daughter and yours!

My daughter is driving with 2 friends today (from college in Tempe, AZ) to Los Angeles for spring break. I'm a nervous wreck but realize I have to let go at some point and leave her in God's hands. By the time I was 19 I was driving all over the place... although not from one state to another!

Have a wonderful time at the volunteer dinner!

Miscellaneous From Missy said...

Ooh, I can't wait to come back and see the bloggy makeover!

Ann said...

I've never trusted Juliet. She blinks way too much, that lift-the-eyebrows-and-blink-to-make-it-look-like-I'm-clueless-or-telling-the-truth blink. Or maybe that's just the way the actress who plays Juliet blinks. /shrug.

But Kate, she seems to be telling the truth a lot more lately...

I still think it's Michael/Walt on the boat. And PENNY'S DAD. Right there, on the video. Man. I can't wait till next week.

Is Aaron considered an Oceanic 6? I'm trying to think who the last one might be...we've got Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid, Aaron? and mystery number 6. They didn't show Sawyer as one did they? I missed last night's rerun too. I need to start recording them.

Anyway, I'm going to go back and read the rest of your post now :) I just scrolled down, "What'd she say about Lost? What'd she say about Lost??"

Have a fabulous weekend, Linda!

Fresh Girl said...

I hope your daughter has a wonderful time! I know my trip to Spain when I was in grad school is one of my most favorite experiences ever.

I'm fairly certain the man on the boat is Michael. And how funny was Juliet's "It's stressful being an Other." comment? hee!

annie's eyes said...

Praying for your daughter's safe and wonderful trip to England. My youngest daughter, Lindsay, leaves on a cruise for spring break tomorrow. Don't think for a minute I didn't hesitate to use your Natalie Holloway reminder. Our lives should be so good. I know you will honor your volunteers tonight and make them feel awesome. You and your daughter are in my prayers. Love, Annette
Can't wait for the new "look".

Roxanne said...

I'm wondering how many times John Locke has to get shot by Ben to keep him locked up. . .and Juliet IS beautiful. . .and Ben is
creepy(er) when he's trying to woo her.

Hope your gal has a great time and is safe and sound all the way there and home again.

Teresa said...

My husband thinks it's Michael on the boat too! Each week I tell him how much I hate Lost as I curl up on the couch to watch yet another episode that leaves me with more questions than answers... it's sort of addictive, you know, watching this show!

oh amanda said...

Juliet IS the Grinch! I am SO glad you made that connection! This is actually the first week where the giant wall of hate and distrust I have for her has begun to crumble. But now I'm going to see the grinch every time I look at her smarmy face. Thank you.

Ann said...

I agree with Oh Amanda, my wall crumbled an itty bit too. But I came back here to say I'm starting to think it's not Michael. I got to thinking about it today when I was picking the boys up from school. It couldn't be Michael, right? I mean, he and Walt and the dog were on that plane when it crashed. How could he possibly be connected to Ben? Or was the plane crash planned? That couldn't be, seeing how that helicopter pilot had such a hard time staying on course to get back to the boat...oh man I love it. Who is it? I almost need to go back and watch all those previous episodes that introduced each character, seeing as I was totally blindsided by Penny's dad being involved. Ah, now I'm just rambling.

MoodyBlue said...

That comparison of Juliet & the grinch is SO -- what did Charlie used to say - "Spot on!!". I miss Charlie too! I am SO mad because Claire doesn't even mention him. Also, remember when Charlie left his Driveshaft ring in Aaron's bassinet...never saw her find it. Desmond never gave her the list he wrote. Hurley stopped crying. Poor Charlie!!! I do think the man on the boat is Michael. I think we will see Walt again & since the actor hit puberty he grew like a foot. SO, that is why Locke said he saw "tall Walt". LOL! I'm not sure I like Jack with Juliet. That kiss was awkward...but I would rather Kate with Sawyer. Ben is very creepy. I think that Jack's Dad is another Oceanic 6 because remember in the flash-forward last year he said to the doctor to "go find my father" or something like that. About him being drunk. PLUS, when I saw a slowed-up version of when Hurley looked in Jacob's cabin, it looked like Jack's Dad sitting in the rocking chair. Spooked me right out. Remember also, the coffin was empty when Jack found it. Spooooky!

Heth said...

Oprah? Hhahahahaha

Yes, Juliet does resemble the grinch. That's perfect.