Tuesday, April 01, 2008

American Idol Goes Country and Gets Some Religion, Too


It was Dolly Parton night, but Jesus got a few props, too, in her songs. Just thought that was interesting.

Extraneous editorial comments: In her silver outfit, Dolly looked like "Space Age Barbie Dolly."

And Ryan--(my friend Leslie always says this, and I agree) Ryan is the perfect successor to Dick Clark. He is awesome. Even in a skinny tie like my brothers wore in the 60s.

The performances:

Brooke: "Jolene." Is that one of the saddest, most pathetic songs ever? You just wanna say, "Persona of these lyrics, get some self-respect and kick him on over to Jolene. Let Jolene pick up his dirty laundry for a few years." I cracked up when Brooke said Dolly was tiny but HUGE. A-hem. Plus, my TiVo stalled on her facial expression when she said "huge," and the freeze frame expression was hilarious.

Brooke was this week's wearer of the season 6 requisite uber high-waisted pants.

Something I've been noticing with Brooke lately that I don't care for is the bantering she does while the judges are critiquing her, like complimenting Paula's hair. I just don't think it's cute. Sorry. (Why do those last two phrases make me feel like Simon?)

David Cook: HAIR! BETTER! TREMENDOUSLY! BETTER!
I know he joked about having a large cranium as a baby, but that hairdon't he has had all season screamed "large cranium comb over!" So he looked great and sounded great, but really, can he ever top "Billie Jean?"

I had to laugh at "Little Sparrow" because it reminded me of the time when my oldest daughter was little and the sitcom "Webster" was on with Emmanuel Lewis in the title role. Once when she was referring to the show, she couldn't remember his name, so she called him, "L'il Spider." (Get it? WEBster - Spider?) Oh, my kid-said-the-darnedest thing memory just slayed me. Or slew me, if you're stickler for King James.

Ramiele: Love that name, but I'd probably shorten it to "Rami." Her song was "Do I Ever Cross Your Mind?" All I could think of (because I was in fear of being flashed due to her short skirt and particular broad stance) was, "Do You Ever Cross Your Legs? (Please!)" She was cute, but that's all. And she forced Simon to pull out the old "Cruise Ship" smack-down.

Jason: I was afraid Dolly might break off one of his dreds. She made me laugh when she said he was "funky lookin'." Doesn't he remind you of a young Travolta somehow? I liked his performance. And he said, "Jesus." [Insert smiley.]

Carly: "Here You Come Again" ... with those tattoos like billboards. I actually agreed with Simon's question about who is dressing this girl. It ain't my close personal friend Clinton Kelly, that's for sure. She sounded great, I thought.

Little David: I cracked up again when Dolly referred to his "little emotion." You know she thought he was precious. He hit some amazing high notes. (Are you impressed with my dazzling music critiquing skills?)

Kristy Lee Country: Has this girl been lucky for the last two weeks or what?! I just don't even know what to say. She will get many callers for singing about her many colors. But not me.

Syesha: She's never been my favorite, but I really liked her performance tonight. I loved the two approaches to this song, and no, it wasn't exactly Whitney, but we don't need two Whitneys in this world (heaven help us), although right now I think there's about half a Whitney left in the world, but that's another story.

Michael: It's hard for me to be objective about this performance because I hated the song so much. But I'll take Simon's word on it, that it was Michael's best yet.

And those are my expert re-cap opinions that I get paid thousands of dollars for (or "Mollies," as they are called) in Moldavia where I report them weekly on the Moldavian TV show, "Moldavia Tonight," the equivalent of "Entertainment Tonight," except you're getting them for free because you're my bloggin' homies. You're welcome.

And now, in the irritating words of Bill O'Reilly: "What say you?"

16 comments:

MoodyBlue said...

(check out my new review too)...

I totally agree about Brooke..she did good tonight, but she drives me NUTS when she talks while they are talking. It is like she is talking over them & wasting time on purpose so they don't say anthing negative. We are onto you Brooke!!

Agree with alot of what you said. Please tell me that my David looked SO good tonight. My cradle robbing is peeking out now. LOL! My hubby shrugs it off. Too funny! Awwww, I think that this cut does wonders for his "massive skull". Too cute when he said that!

Ok, we aren't on the same page as Michael. But that's OK... I'll like him for the both of us. Hehehe

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

You are so right about the John Travolta similarities. Hopefully I never have to see Jason dressed up in Hairspray like Mr. Travolta, though.

Susanne said...

Little David's song had Jesus in it too! I think he did the best tonight. Boy he definitely has the teeny bopper crowd behind him judging from the high pitched screaming whenever he does anything.

And where can I apply to start making thousands of Mollies?

Ruthie said...

I think the same thing every time the contestants are listening to the judges. I'm hoping they'll just stand there and smile politely and NOT TALK BACK.

This was a cute recap. I don't believe I know where Moldavia is, but you should probably ask for a raise. You're worth your weight in Mollies.

Sara said...

I think Brooke does that thing she does that annoys you out of her humble personality. Just like a few weeks ago when they didn't really buy her performance in the 2nd beatles week when she was telling the booing audiance it's okay. I really think she's true about it.

Thanks so much for the review I love reading others opinions.

Come Check Out Mine Please

Fiddledeedee (It Coulda' Been Worse) said...

Li'l David knocked it out of the park. I agree with everything you said, because, HEY, get out of my head! :)

Someone. PLEASE vote Paula off. I can't take it anymore. Her nonsensical sentence fragments are making my ears bleed. Which is odd, since I love me some sentence fragments.

Just sayin'.

Susanne said...

Hi Linda,
I got here from Boo Mama's blog. Just wanted to say I love your design and your sense of humor. I am not a regular AI poster but I do watch the show and I do love Boo Mama and FryDaddy...so I'll probably be back for a Second Cup regularly!
Have a great day!!!

Mocha with Linda said...

I can't imagine the show being more entertaining than your recap!

Carrie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. You shouldn't feel like TV is "stupid stuff" LOL I don't watch American Idol, except the first few weeks, but there are other shows I do watch. Every. Week. Like Big Brother - which is on 3 times a week! It's a good escape from real life - which we all need. Especially me lately.
Have a good day!
God bless :)

dcrmom said...

I'm SO glad someone else is on my page about Michael's song! I couldn't stand it. And until now, that guy could do NO wrong in my book.

I just couldn't get past the lyrics.

Great recap! :-)

Melanie said...

I agree about Brooke's comments. Maybe she does it because she is nervous, but the comment about Paula's hair was too much.
David A. was my fav. tonight. I really like Carly and I think Simon's comment was to help her. He seems to see her talent, too. Where is Clinton's Uvula when we need it??

Debbie said...

Okay, not an AI fan althought, I enjoy reading your recaps. Hence the question - what song did Michael sing that you hate so much?

Faith said...

I am cracking up because your thoughts about Brooke are me and my teen daughter's thoughts! we cannot stand it when she plays the cute card with the judges.

My favorites last nite were: Carly,(hated her outfit...would have looked better if she had worn black leggings) David A, Michael, Brooke (vocals only...hate the song)

Darlene R. said...

I agree the Brooke needs to be quiet.
I really enjoyed the show last night.

I've always liked Dolly, especially in Steel Magnolias. :)That's a true chick flick, so my hubs says. BUT---He'll watch Gilmore Girls EVERY day at lunch, because that's not a girl's show at all. :P

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

Ahh me. My husband and my mom are addicted, but I only watch AI during the auditions and then again towards the end. I think you have convinced me it is time to tune back in.

Kelley at Aroma of Joy said...

I still love David Cook! It takes a guy who is secure in himself to sing about sparrows! As for Brooke, do you notice that she pouts? I mean it's like she sticks her lip out and lowers her eyes like a little girl. Maybe it's just me....

Kelley