Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Mariah Night at AI

So how tall is Mariah Carey, anyway? People always want to know. The consensus from what I've read is 5'9", 120 lbs, size 6. Good night, everyone. Time to go home now.

I have never been a Mariah fan (not crazy about big ballads), so tonight was not that fun for me personally, and in my opinion, there were no stand-outs, no bomb-outs. I know you probably disagree.

I was struck again by just how young David Archuleta is. He looked totally scared and vulnerable tonight on stage, when he wasn't singing, that is. He looks like a young professional while singing, but once the performance stops and he's just standing there trapped in the limelight, you sort of want Ryan to put his arm around little Archie and keep him safe from the 30 million big people watching. If this kid wins, my prayer is, "Lord, please don't let the world chew him up and spit him out. Put him in a bubble." My husband says, "You know, maybe it's better if he doesn't win." (For the consequences of fame reason). Only two middle aged people with kids that age would be thinking along those lines.

I thought David A. did a wonderful job. I don't think he'll actually win the competition as I said he would in the beginning. I think he'll come in second.

Carly looked lovely tonight. I know I'm pretty hard on the entity known as her arm, but not tonight. I like her lower, softer range, so when she got to the chorus or "swelling" part, as the pros say, I thought it was "yelly," short on finesse, full on volume.

Syesha always looks lovely. And she hits big notes. And she has big hair. The same hair every week. But it's not a hair contest, or Jason would be crowned Emperor of American Idol.

Poor Brooke. It was not her best performance, and then there was the whole "Hamburger Debacle of Season 7." What is wrong with these judges? Are they sipping Paula's water? I know this is picky, but I am not the only one who notices this--someone should advise Brooke to stop talking to the judges and sticking out her bottom lip. It was cute the very first time. Only.

Well, Kristy Lee Cook has done gone and given Mariah Carey goosebumps. What other contestant can say that? (Answer: Sanjaya?) Kristy is good excels at finding the country potential in each performance. I laughed when Paula said, "Country and Western." Does anyone say that anymore? Made me think of Porter Wagoner. If Hee-Haw were still in production, Kristy Lee could fulfill a Tammy Wynette/Barbi Benton role. And giggle all the way to the bank.

Oh, I know there are legions of you who love David Cook. Wow. A standing O from Randy, when just a week ago, it looked like David might have allowed the competition to slip through his fingers. Because of reading how many of you love this guy, I think he will win the whole shebang. My personal favorite performance of his was "Billie Jean," and I thought tonight was derivative of that stellar performance. Sorry to all you "Cookies."

Jason completed the night with a sweet, soulful "I Don't Want to Cry." I love this style, but I don't think it's a pop icon style. So I don't think he'll win, but I think he is one of the few who could go on with a big ol' career. I feel the same about Brooke.

Well, guys, what do you think? Who's going; who's staying?

My guess: Brooke or Jason will go. I've stopped considering that Syesha will go. Scientists are still looking for her Kryptonite. Until then-she's invincible.

21 comments:

Teri said...

Wait a minute? You think Carly and Kristy Lee did better than Brooke and Jason tonight? Honestly, I think it should be Carly this week...

Carol said...

Again, I did not watch AI, but I wanted to say that you do a wonderful job summing it all up for us each week! Thanks!

Melanie said...

Hard to say who will go. I didn't see all of the performances. I think David Cook has the most musical creativity.

Susanne said...

I loved Jason's version. I think I would definitely buy a CD of his.

I think Kristy Lee and Syesha will be bottom two. Hard to say though with it getting close.

Paula seemed more bumbling than usual tonight, like she was having such difficulty string three meaningful words together. And the whole hamburger thing was ridiculous. I felt sorry for Brooke having to stand there through that.

Jennifer Lambert said...

*sigh* I wish I liked American Idol... I watched the first two seasons and then just utterly stopped caring.

I get my reality fix now on Project Runway. I hope Lifetime doesn't screw it up.

Nicole said...

I was pretty underwhelmed at all of the performances last night, which leads me to talk about hair.

We should note that whatever products they've got Brooke using are working miracles. She must be borrowing something from David Cook because his 'do defies the laws of nature.

Carly's hair looked stellar and Jason's no-maintenance approach might be right up every mom's alley.

If I tried his look, I bet I'd find lollipops and stickers in my hair before bed each night. And maybe a latte from Starbucks. Yum.

Buncha Blue-Eyed Monkeys said...

Kryptonite. *snort*

Cindy Swanson said...

I just hope Jason doesn't go...although he very well could. I know he's not very versatile, but there's something so adorable about him. He's also a Christian, and I don't know if any of the other contestants make that claim.

I agree...no one really blew me away tonight. The judges were so crazy about David C's performance, and I thought it was good, but it didn't "wow" me the way it did them.

I hear David C's brother, who has brain cancer, is going to be in the audience tonight. I noticed David was a little emotional last night...I wonder if his brother has something to do with it.

Addie said...

Oh my goodness poor Miss Brooke. She knew she had a rough night, but then to have to endure a debate about whether it was a hamburger without the meat, or the bun, or the toppings. I mean my word, that went horribly wrong.

I LOVED your kryptonite line .... soooo true!

Robin said...

I wrote the same kind of comments about David A. on my blog! He just looks so fragile and scared - until he sings - then he is in his element!

Lois E. Lane said...

Thought you'd get a kick out of my sister's recap:
http://www.girlfridayblog.com/

Sarah said...

Dead on, my friend.

Marsha said...

I would say Carly or Brooke are the most likely to leave tonight. I think they are both more talented overall than KLC or Syesha but they don't connect as well with the younger voting viewers and each had less than stellar performances last night. I don't think any of the guys are at risk. JMHO!

Muddy said...

I wasnt crazy about any of the performances last night. I used to enjoy Brook, but now I think it has become tiresome to hear her talk back to the judges as she has been. I was glad that Carly had sleeves!

Im sort of thinking that the guys are pretty safe this week and it will be one of the girls that goes. I think that I see Kristy Lee Cook actually improving. While I dont think she'll win, I think she may have a chance of sticking around longer than anyone thought she would at first. The other girls (and some of the guys)just seem to be doing the same thing week after week without much improvement (IMO)

Love your recap. It's interesting to see what others are thinking about this show as we go along.

The Bayou Belles and Their Beau said...

Totally in agreement with you on Jason and David C. And, what is up with Syesha still being around?

Vicki said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your summary of AI is excellent. My favourites are David Cook and Jason. There is something about Jason's voice that is so soothing, but I agree, I don't think he'll win. I'm hoping for David Cook to win.

MoodyBlue said...

Linda...you know me...I just LOVED David C's performance. I actually was in tears! (I admit it!!) His brother was in the audience last night. His brother has brain cancer which has spread to his spine. I think with the positive judges comments, the fans, & audience members...plus with his brother coming out to see him perform on the Idol stage, it was overwhelming for him which led to him crying. I think he did phenomenal. (well you knew that)

I posted all about it on my blog.

Week after week Brooke gets to me..you are SO right about the bottom lip thing..it just looks pouty and child-like. She is talented, but it is just the same acoustic/unplugged thing each week.

Oh, yes..I am a Cookie..us David fans also go by being "Word Nerds"..remember when he said he was a word nerd & addicted to crossword puzzles. That is how that started. The term for David Archuleta fans is cute..they are Arch Angels. LOL! I like him, but I totally agree with you about if he won the contest...what people would do to him. I feel like his Dad would just take over everything, make him even more nervous...He is too innocent (for a lack of a better way of saying it).

Grace said...

I concur. Hah, just remembered that from "Catch Me if You Can." Wow, I pretty much see it the way you saw it last night.
I think you're my new good friend....
(I also had a LOST widget on my site but took it off recently. wow. eerie.)
Grins!

Grace said...

If you check my early blog posts in January, we began watching LOST then. This January! We were completely caught up by the start of season four. We're smitten!
And I saw the actor who plays Desmond in a clip they used in our Easter thing. I almost shouted out "Hey! That's Desmond!" I looked it up and he really did play Jesus in the Gospel of John for one of those Living Bible videos. How about that!
Grins.

Lysa TerKeurst said...

I'm still in serious mourning over Michael Johns. But David Cook helps me get over it every time he sings!!! Blows me away. Would buy his album today!!!

I think a girl should go home tonight.. but not Brooke, please not Brooke.

Mamacita said...

I thought it would be Brooke - your post was really enjoyable. I feel the same about sweet little David A. :)