Monday, July 21, 2008

Are You Ready to Take the Plunge?

Thanks to Linda at Mocha with Linda, I've been subjected to an incredible news story that you should know about, too, so that I don't have to be the only blogger throwing up in her mouth upon subjection. (One for all, all for one, right?)

I'm gonna fill you in, but first, you must answer a multiple choice question about this picture: What in the world are these women doing?



A. Competing on a new reality show called, "I'd Rather Feed My Legs to Pirhannas Than Live with My In-Laws For a Week."
B. Competing for the Guinness Book of World Records in the category: Who Has the Most Potent Foot Odor in the World?
C. Participating in a new method of Bible study in which all senses are engaged. What you see here is the reenactment of Joshua 3, where the Levites put their feet in the Jordan.
D. Participating in medical research on lowering blood pressure. If it's calming to watch fish, what strides could we make if we "become" the fish?
E. As radical environmentalists, they are offering the spaces between their toes as fish egg hatcheries, since the innocent coral reefs have been destroyed by the manufacturing of the evil coral lipsticks and nail polishes, which these women have since sworn off.

In honor of my hero, Dwight Schrute, the answer is: "False."

According to this MSN online article, these women are partaking in a new spa trend wherein teeny weeny carp meet to "do lunch" on dead skin, providing nature's answer to the old razor pedicures.

(Let's all excuse ourselves from our computers now to go purge, wipe our brows, breathe, and then return to explore the psychological backgrounds of A) The person who thought this up B) These moms who are clearly making a desperate cry: "I'd rather have my toes gnawed off than clean up one more poopy diaper from my four year old.")

I have to admit that razors on feet were never a good idea. Even if one of my very best and trusted friends did talk me into trying this at home once. Unfortunately, that friend is still paying for that faux pas in the form of frequent, unrelenting verbal bullying from me.

Seriously, using razors on heels is so passe. It's not for you. What you want to do is jump back in time, say, to Victorian England, where you could get a refreshing leeching AND a carp pedicure in one afternoon in the bait shop in exchange for a mere oxen's tail. No need to worry about pesky diseases in the wounds; Al Gore hadn't invented germs yet!

Speaking of sanitation, here's my favorite part of the article:

The county health department ... required the salon to switch from a shallow, tiled communal pool that served as many as eight people to individual tanks in which the water is changed for each customer.

Oh yes, this is way more sanitary than razors. Even if the razors never had fish poop or possible salmonella on them.

Also: The communal pool also presented its own problem: At times the fish would flock to the feet of an individual with a surplus of dead skin, leaving others with a dearth of fish.

"It would sometimes be embarrassing for them but it was also really hilarious," [John] Ho [salon owner] said.


So this is a guy's idea. Of course!

His next idea? Kick it up a notch! Full-Body treatment. Wait a minute--isn't that what already happens in singles bars?

39 comments:

Pam from alertandorientedx4.blogspot.com said...

I saw this earlier today and thought of you, remembering you said you'd never had a pedicure....if this were the only kind available, it would sure eliminate them from MY life's little pleasures. And my email to my best friend, (subject: Eeewwww!) focused on the poo factor, too. Can I just say..."ick." Way worse than Froggy Went a Courtin'

Pam from alertandorientedx4.blogspot.com said...

I saw this earlier today and thought of you, remembering you said you'd never had a pedicure....if this were the only kind available, it would sure eliminate them from MY life's little pleasures. And my email to my best friend, (subject: Eeewwww!) focused on the poo factor, too. Can I just say..."ick." Way worse than Froggy Went a Courtin'

crickl's nest said...

WEll you weren't kidding about the throwing up in our mouths, were you?

*scared*

Lindsay said...

Hilarious! Thanks for the laugh/puke.

Oh, and I've heard the "PedEgg" is awesome....MUCH better than those pesky razors even.

Diane of Crafty Passions said...

Funny post I really enjoyed it!
Nope not for me tho..... ewwwww!!!
Give me a normal pedi followed with a nice foot massage.
Diane

Mocha with Linda said...

I'm definitely having nightmares tonight.

Notice how the woman in the middle is checking out the fish in the tank next to her!

"Your fish are eating more than mine are!"

Carp Diem? No Thanks!

carol ~ i throw like a girl said...

Uhhmmm, gross. I love a mani/pedi as much as the next girl, but no living creatures (other than human) are allowed to touch my feet. Ever. Thanks for the smile!

skoots1mom said...

I had just read this story as I was logging on to read blogs...it popped up on my homepage newsreel.
I'm sorry but I don't want FISH eating my FEET, especially after they've been CHOWING down on the multitudes before me. Even if the skin is DEAD...my nerves are NOT DEAD and i'm sure i would be JUMPING up off my seat as soon as one started NIBBLING, EEEEEEEWWWWWW!
When this happens to me at the lake that's when I get out! Pumice stones are wonderful things, and they don't have teeth :)

Susanne said...

Weird, weird, weird. And Ewwww!

Roxanne said...

A) GROSS

B) HILARIOUS (as always)

C) GUH-ROOOOOOSSSSSSS

D) cold shivers and picking my feet up off the floor

Barbara H. said...

Ugh! I have a lot of dead skin on my feet, but I can't stand the thought of fish feasting on it!!

My ADHD Me said...

UGH! I don't even like pedicures.
There is absolutely No Way I would do this....and believe me, I Never say Never. But for this...Never!
(cold shiver)

Regina said...

Wow,! Well, huh, ummm I don't even know what to say! This is sick and nasty and just a bit strange! But hey to each his own...I guess!
anyway thanks for popping in on my spot. Your blog is awesome!

Smilingsal said...

UNbelievable!

Smilingsal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chatty Kelly said...

Fins to the left, fins to the right, and you're the only bait in town! (My apologies to Jimmy Buffet).

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Thank you for bringing a little Dwight into my Office-less summer.

Roxanne said...

(Chatty Kelly cracked me up, 'cause "Fins" is one of my fav Jimmy Buffet songs.)

Had to recomment, 'cause Diane Sawyer was on ABC just ten minutes ago with her tootsies in a tank letting little fishes eat at her pedicured feet. . .and they were CHOWING DOWN. She said it made her "tingle." Methinks Diane needs to get out more.

I can only imagine that with my own feet, they might have to take the first contingent of carp away and bring in the relief.

Marina said...

I love Pedicures but I would not put my feet in that fish tank to eat my dead skink cells !!!
I think those women where tried of being home with there kids for the summer and just had to get out of the house!!!whatever LOL!!!! :),marina

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Guess I have a new reason to spend the day at the lake. :-)

PJ said...

I'm choking!!! Women are SOOOO gullible! Carp chewing on feet??? AND I'm totally addicted to my monthly pedicures -- and they usually don't use razors...but my sister recommended the PedEgg...UH..on MY feet it didn't work so well. Maybe I WILL try carp...would just going to the local creek work.....More water to wash away the fish poop...and maybe the Forest Rangers will test for salmonella!!!
AYE YI YI!!!

Miscellaneous From Missy said...

Oh. My. Goodness.

I had to laugh about the people with excess dead skin, though! Hahahaha!

Heth said...

I have been waiting with anticipation for you to address this article. I knew you would have something hilarious to say. I am never disappointed.

Barbara H. said...

I tagged you for a meme and have an award for you today. :-)

gail said...

i heard about this on the news yesterday and had the same response---oooo yuk!!! puke, puke. i can't even imagine.

did you also read that the girls giggle when the fish feed on their flesh---double oooo yuk!!!

you're so right, only a man could have thot this up.

Jen said...

Not that I would try it, or anything . . .

But isn't this kind of like putting leeches on a swelling bruise to remove the blood that collects?

I think I prefer a leech to a big hypodermic needle.

I think what would gross me out about fish eating my dead skin is just the feeling of it, little ticklings on my feet. And knowing it was fish.

But other than that, I don't actually think I'm grossed out. But I would not want to try this particular method unless under anesthesia.

xox

"MoodyBlue" Jodi said...

That may be one of the grossest things I've ever seen. Blech! I love how they are sanitary with "changing the water" between customers. Ummmm what do they do, strain the fish? That is just nasty...I don't know where those fishes lips have been. ROTFL

Laurie Ann said...

Oh, gaross!!! That's just wrong. On so many levels. But your post made me laugh. :)

Paula (SweetPea) said...

Can someone give these ladies a Pedi Egg? Is that what it's called? Something to that sort. Anyway, it's suppose to be the latest and greatest thing for rough heels. I don't have really rough, dry feet so I've not invested in it. I think Rebecca at Fearlly and Wonderfully Made blogged about it though.

LZ Blogger said...

I can't help but think that all five of your answers were better than the REAL answer on that top picture. But, that last shot reminds me of Jimmy Buffett's song "FINS". ~ jb///

Kelley said...

I just heard about this on the radio yesterday. I don't even know how to respond except that I'm thinkin' this kind of activity is another indication we are living in the last days. Come soon Lord Jesus!!!

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

I just saw this on the local news and thought it was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

And you KNOW PETA is going to take hold of this and go with it.

Sheesh.

The Bayou Belles and Their Beau said...

Um ... What? Ridiculous! Haven't they heard of the greatest invention of the century , the PedEgg?

Rhonda said...

Oh my goodness!! All I can say is EWW!!

RefreshMom said...

That's great that they change the water for each client, but how do they sterilize the fish?

The Bayou Belles and Their Beau said...

By the way, I linked you over at my blog. Thanks for introducing me to "Ken Lee."

Carol said...

Say WHAT!!??

Fran said...

They were on Good Morning America yesterday and I couldn't watch.
NASTY!!!

Michelle@Life with Three said...

That is disgusting! Just go get a Ped Egg, for crying out loud. Thinking about all the fish poop floating in that water makes me want to cringe. ICK!