Friday, August 01, 2008

No Longer a SAHM

It was the best of times; it was the best of times. But as you read this, I am probably at work, standing over a copier waiting for it to warm up, or getting ready to put out a 6,000 piece mailing to kids. There is no robin's egg blue at my office. There is no frou-frou. There is no SAHM at 2nd Cup of Coffee. Sigh.

Here's a re-cap of July highlights:

1. I have hosted actual live human beings in my home, overnight, even, and survived. That is nothing short of miraculous.

2. I planted flowers in a tiny flower bed. Inexplicably, they are the same size as the day I planted them in the first week of July, and they are not blooming, but at least they are still green. Who plants daisies (aren't they like weeds?) that don't bloom? Lidna does.

3. I got a lot of sun.

4. I started walking/jogging. This is actually in the top three of my favorite activities this month.

5. I'm helping facilitate a Bible study on Thursdays, and I've had 9th and 10th grade girls in my home each Monday evening for Bible study during July. We ended with a party featuring a sundae bar.

6. I watched "The Next Food Network Star" but wanted Adam to win, although I wasn't his biggest fan. He roasted a chicken straight up with a beer can stuck up it, which was quite amazing. Very "frat boy."

7. I cleaned out medicine cabinets, closets, and cars.

8. I re-decorated my daughter's old room, complete with creating actual crafts and finding sales at Hobby Lobby that made me float all the way home.

9. I facilitated a national survey about which wallpaper I should use in my kitchen.

10. I helped my son learn to use a Neti Pot. This effort is second only to actually birthing him regarding the amount of energy expended to accomplish this task.

11. I found out what a Poke Plant is and that Elvis sang about Poke Salad Annie.

12. I had occasion to revisit Ken Lee.

13. I visited the laundromat where absolutely no nuclear weapons are allowed.

14. "Ebony and Ivory" became part of my world again.

15. I took Zoe to the Farmers' Market.

16. I played Free Rice until I passed out. Free Rice: The Nerd's "Halo."

17. I discovered a new diet. I said I discovered it, not practiced it.

18. I discovered layers of wallpaper under layers of paint in my kitchen. Thus, I also discovered "decorator's rage."

19. I wrote a letter of complaint to Burger King about the notorious kicking kid commercial. As a result, uh, "."

20. I submitted writing for publication and followed up on She Speaks contacts. As a result, uh, "."

21. I spent time with my kids--and the two or three days I went shopping with my girls were some of the best days of my life, not just this summer.

22. Last but not least, I enjoyed blogging to the hilt. Your posts are so entertaining and engaging. You guys are the best commenters in the world. You make me laugh out loud, and laughing? It's my favorite!

In the words of Linda Richman, "I'm a little verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves."

I'm very grateful to have had this time to enjoy my family and dog, get outside, enjoy summer, and accomplish things that had sat unattended for so long. I know I didn't do much that most people consider fun. No water sports. No monuments or landmarks. No thrill rides. Just my life. I love it here at home.

So one last hurrah for my "Vacation," thanks to the Go-Gos. If you watch until the end, the guy sweeping up, well, that's how I feel.


35 comments:

Chatty Kelly said...

Aww - I picture you at work having your literal "2nd cup of coffee" without us. *sob*.

I'm glad you had a fun vacation, and hope the 1st day back is great.

Ken Lee'ing ya!

thouartloosed said...

I've enjoyed reading about your sahm summer break.

Mrs. Who said...

Hey! I'm back at work too after a summer off. Do you work in a school, by chance?

Greg C said...

Hey, nice blog you have here. First time visitor. I love that video because it is so cheesy. I need a second cup of coffee right now but better lay off. Too much caffeen makes me nurvous. Your mention of Ebony and Ivory gave me an idea for a great post. I assure you, it will be a bad one. Thanks.

PJ said...

Surely you'll get a few minutes for that "2nd cup of coffee"!! It's been fun....reminds me that I start back in three weeks (officially) In reality it is only two weeks...it will take that long to get set up! And somewhere I missed "Neti Pot!" ??/ I shall have to go figure out what that is.

SuburbanCorrespondent said...

You lost me at having fun shopping with your girls. Are they not teens?

Does this mean you're not blogging anymore?

Mocha with Linda said...

Bummer that your time is up. At least you have a short "week" back at work before the weekend! LOL

And that BK commercial? I didn't even notice the kid kicking King Dad at the end. What made steam come out of my ears was the bratty girl telling her mom "no" and the mom putting up with it. By the time it got to the end, spots were dancing in front of my eyes and I missed the kick.

Love your #9 - "national survey!" Wow - these blogs are great for resumes, huh?!

Have a great day back.

DidiLyn said...

I have nothing witty to say...you probably took all my funny when you went back to work.
Wishing you could stay a SAHM....

Susan said...

Hope things go well today. One nice thing about teaching is you kind of go back in a little at at time. I mean sure there's the day when you have to jump completely into the pool...but I am dabbling now and thus, a bit more ready than I would be if I had to just dive in all in a day.

Anyway, I have loved your SAHM Month! It's been anything but boring.

Hugs,

Susan

Kelley said...

I can't decide if I am ready to go back to a "schedule" or not. I love the ease of summer but I think I need more boundaries than that. Oh well, it doesn't matter what I think, school starts and schedules resume in 17 days. (Maybe that is when my true vacation starts??).

Rachele said...

Ok, I am laughing my head off here. The Ebony and Ivory...lady I have been singing this song in my head and not only that but I am also making up silly songs to the tune.
LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!
Chel - The Abiding Branch

Rachele said...

OK Grrreat! I am singing it now and will for the rest for day. lol!!
CyaSista!
Chel - The Abiding Branch

Laurie Ann said...

So glad you enjoyed your vacay! I enjoy reading your blog. Very entertaining. Hope you hear something on the publications you submitted soon!

Jodie said...

You've done more in a month than I've done in like, ya know, my whole life. :)
Laughing is my favorite, too. Which is why I keep on lovin' you. :)
Oh, and love this:
"I'm a little verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves." Really, is there a better word than verklempt. I should think not. Except maybe "shorn't". I don't know. I declare a tie. :)
Well, I hope you'll have a *second* to blawg every now and then, b/c clearly we Ken Lee without you.
xo

Lorri said...

I'll give you a topic: Chick peas are neither chicks, nor peas. Discuss.

Ahh I love Coffee Talk.

So sad you're back to work, but I hope you keep up on your blogging!

I am honored to have been a part of your national survey! :)

Marina said...

ok you got me singing "edony&Ivory"
LOL!! it was nice being sahm with you for a while :)
Happy first day back,marina

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Well it just cracks me up that all these friends of ours are worried that you're not going to continue to blog...as if you had a choice! :-) You couldn't quit if you wanted to!

It won't be long and I'll also be back to a "regularly scheduled program" with home schooling...but I am SO looking forward to all the goofy stuff you can write about WORK!! :-)

Ken Lee ya!!

samurai said...

I mourn with you in that you are not staring at Robin Blue walls, but I also rejoice with you in the memories you had this past month...

Take care - and if you are like most women I know... get outside about once an hour to warm back up... I will probably be off to the side as well. ;)

Edie said...

Well I'm sorry to hear that you have to get back to the "grind". I loved your vacation list! I laughed out loud again and again.

Re:
#2 Would you come plant some "weeds" in my garden too? Anything would be an improvement over the way it looks now!

#5 I'm there on Mon with Hot Fudge and Almonds! mmmmm

#9 Loved this! I arrived too late to partake but in time to hear what your hubby had to say about it. :)

#10 I had no idea that Poke was actually "something". I always thought that song made no sense.

#18 My grandma's house had all those layers too but I think that's what held the walls in place.

Video: Wasn't that you on the middle ski!

Enjoy your weekend!

Debbie said...

Sorry you SAHM summer vacation is over. Sounds like you made the most of it.

By the way, you can do the chicken (#6)with pop or any canned drink. We like Sprite or Hawaiian Punch the best.

On Purpose said...

Hello Linda, I am so glad you stopped by my blog. I am enjoying reading yours. And any girl that likes to laugh...has be to a friend of mine!

Thinking about you as you are back in the "routine"!

Nichole

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

"Just life" is always better than the monuments. :>)

Merrie said...

Welcome back to work... how sad! You had a great vacation! You will be missed around the house and www...

Audra Krell said...

This is my first time at your super fun blog! I love the month you've had, who cares about water sports and national monuments, family time means everything. So glad you had the time of your life!

PopArtDiva said...

Linda - thanks for stopping by the Pop Art Diva Blog today!

Was truly enjoying your post, hit #17 and cackled so loud I scared Pixel, my Yorkipoo, right off the chair! There's a little kerplumpt to go with your verklempt!

You know, I couldn't decide who I wanted to win NFNS - I wasn't real impressed by this bunch, but I did like Adam's chicken recipe and thought his internet interactive concept was a good idea!

Have a great weekend with all your clean cabinets, closets and cars!

My ADHD Me said...

I am a SAHM 365 days a year except for the few part time jobs I pick up here and there. Never-the-less, it sounds like you accomplished more this sumer than I do all year. And that includes September-June when I have alone time!
I used to LOVE the Go-G0's. Popular back when Michael Jackson was awesome and cool, the Stray Cats were the cooolest group alive, and DEVO could "Whip It" like no one else ever could. sigh. As I've said before, my son's music genre has just so changed music. He plays Grind Core. (sigh again).
Good Luck back at work!

The Bayou Belles and Their Beau said...

Awww ... I'm going to miss all this time you've had. Don't worry, we'll all still be around.

And, wow! How much can one person do in a month? What are you? Some kind of super woman or something?

Guinevere Meadow said...

You sure did a LOT! And if people don't think those things are fun, then they have obviously never truly lived.

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

My mouth is still open from where it fell when Adam did not win.

So wrong. So, so wrong.

Teri said...

Sorry the party is over for now! I love what you wrote about your home...that is exactly how I feel!

Hope your transition back isn't terrible!

RR Mama said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hubs wasn't ready to go back to work either. He enjoyed having time with the boys. I will for ever be grateful that school starts in a few weeks. That way my house might stay a little cleaner longer, but I doubt it. Hope you had a great first day back.

Linda said...

I haven't had much of a vacation, and I'm back to work Monday. Bummer. God made Monday too, so I better rejoice in it!

Joanna said...

Wow! And I thought we were busy - you win.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Kim said...

Sounds like you had a great summer vacation! Sorry to hear that you're already back at work. Enjoyed reading your blog even though I wasn't one of those commenters you're thanking. I fell behind on my commenting this summer. But I'm back on it now. :)

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

I LOVED having you home and getting to read all of your SAHM adventures! :)