Friday, October 10, 2008

Friday's Faves, Part 2



I just spent a huge amount of time writing this post, then hit some stupid button at the bottom of the keyboard right before I was set to publish it, and all my text disappeared. Even though Blogger saves automatically, it was gone. This has happened to me before; has it happened to you? Did it make you scream the Nancy Kerrigan "Why?" because it did me.

OK. So here we go again. Please go see Susanne at Living to Tell the Story to jump into this fun meme.

1. Favorite "thing(s)" this week:

Recently I mentioned that Jorge bought my birthday present a couple of weeks ago, well before the date and well before he even knew he was purchasing it, without ever setting a foot in an "icky" store, thanks to me.

I saw this bomb-a-licious bag at Target and loved it, but didn't want to pay full price, so I embarked on one of those temporary, nonetheless noble, "die-to-self" waiting periods. In the meantime, Big Mama mentioned the very bag in one of her fashion posts. Of course, I knew it was meant to be right there and then (or then and there, however you prefer.) I believe it was Tom Petty who said, "The Waiting is the Hardest Part." No kidding, Tom. Imagine my elation when Target "clearanced" my bag. (NOT a real word.)

Then I realized I had to choose a color, for I loved both the green and this season's must-have color, the purple. It's actually a little more subdued in person than in this picture.



I decided to take both and decide at home which I wanted, when I also spied a black bag. Now, interestingly, I had just said to myself earlier, "You know what you need? A good, black 'neutral' purse that goes with everything." And then I responded to myself, "Why, yes; yes I do. Thanks for pointing that out." And so when my eye fell on "Black Beauty," I couldn't resist.

So in an uncharacteristically generous mood, I Jorge bought three bags for me on his credit card, without having to worry about choosing just the right one or returning something I didn't care for. That Jorge. He's a gem.

2. Favorite food this week: Dude. At my birthday party with my girlfriends, the hostess baked the one and only Ken Lee cake! She also played the soundtrack to "Mama Mia" in the background, bless her ornery heart. Another friend made my favorite no bake cookies, and the hostess gave me some of her coffee-flavored gourmet chocolate. And that's why these people are my friends. They get me. (They get me chocolate.)

3. Favorite funny moment this week: On our way down to Brown County, my friend's husband was telling us a story about when he used to work on oil wells in TX many years ago. There was some problem with absorbency of something or other, so the foreman told all the workers to go into town and buy up all the feminine products they could find. These men wiped that town out, which is funny enough when you picture women everywhere not being able to find what they need and men with carts full of what they will never need, but my friend, in his storytelling fervor, could not pronounce "tampon," no matter how hard he tried. After a while, he gave up even trying. He just kept saying "pan-ton" over and over in his story. I laughed so hard I thought I was going to empty my bladder in their vehicle. Needless to say, from here on out, those products will always be "pantons" to me.

4. Favorite meaningful moment this week: There were several, but the top one was when I realized it was not time for my dad to leave us yet. Thank you for praying for him. He's doing fine at home now, back to working his word searches and word Jumbles and cranking up the TV volume for the Food Network. He does not care for "Emerald" the chef, though.

5. Favorite song on my playlist: This is tough because for some reason, I'm really into my playlist this week. But I've been stuck on Vertical Horizon's "Everything You Want" (2000). It's the chorus that I love. On the surface, it seems to be about unrequited love, but some people speculate that there's spiritual significance to this song. I know the band never wanted to be labeled a "Christian" band because that is the kiss of death in this world, and even among young Emergents. (Why does anything have to be labeled "Christian?") One interpretation is that it's about being dissatisfied in life, not recognizing that the yearning comes from a "God-shaped vacuum" in our spirits. Nothing else can satisfy, and like the song says, we don't know why. I loved the video, and I did notice the lead singer stretches his arms out in a crucifixion-like way. I can't embed the vid, but here's the link if you want to refresh your memory of the tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt0bKL0rJZM

Have a great Friday, my favorite day of the week!

35 comments:

Liz said...

I guess I wasn't fully paying attention when you mentioned your birthday the other day. Mine was on the 6th.

Your Ken Lee cake sounds delicious. I made a birthday demand that I had to have chocolate cake with chocolate frosting on my birthday, forget about my diet. My BFF and I drove over to Michigan City for some outlet shopping, and they happened to have a South Bend Chocolate Cafe there with none other than a Chocolate Layer Cake. So we splurged and each had the biggest slices of chocolate cake you have ever seen. It was awesome!

Sounds like you had a fun birthday, too! I have friends who used to go to Brown County to camp often, but I have never been there myself.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I guess if a song is being sung about God and Christian beliefs they may want the song to be labeled Christian.

I am not sure about this song though! If the singer didn't want it to be labeled Christian he would of changed that impression quickly!

Mary said...

Yes, yes, yes!!! I have yelled the Nancy Kerrigan "Why??"

1. The purses are lovely. Loving the green one!!!
2. The cake looks delectable - or how ever you spell that word.
3. That has to be the one of the funniest stories that I have heard (read) in a long. Pan-ton!!! LOL LOL LOL I will for sure be using that word!
4. My favorite song in my playlist is Al Green - Lay It Down. Can't get enough of Al Green!!

As always, thanks for a fun post! Your posts make me smile and laugh very hard sometimes.

Chatty Kelly said...

Wow - that Jorge, what a guy!! LOL!.

I almost fainted when I read the recipe for your Ken Lee cake. My mother-in-law (age 86) makes that cake all the time. I love it, of course - but to see Ken Lee in the same breath as my seet 86 yr old Mother in law (or mother-in-love as I've heard in called in sweet relationships like ours) made me laugh!

But now I have a hankering for chocolate!!!!! Must go make Ken Lee cake.

Glad your birthday was terrific.

Tammy said...

Sounds like you have fabulous friends and the fact they get you chocolate is even better. And I have about worn out my ABBA CD since I saw Mamma Mia. Now my 7 year old asks me to play "#1" which is Dancing Queen. :-)

Glad your dad is doing better and I love your photo together.

And the "pantons" owned me!

The Patterson 5 said...

Happy Happy Birthday! Your cake your friend made looks sooooo good! I liked your bags your husband so thoughtfully got too! :) (That's really the best way to do it because now you are happy and so therefore he is happy because he made you happy-which is all our husbands really want anyway)

Your panton story is so hilarious! Growing up I was too embarrased to say, Hey mom could you get some tampons while you are at the store so instead I said, could you get some Pontams-like my dad and brother couldn't figure that out!

I am glad your dad is doing better and is back at home.

Thanks for sharing your favs!

Debbie said...

You're so great. I love this whole post. All my bags come from Target - love them and their sales. That cake. Oh my word. And the tampon story. What a hoot. This was like several posts in one. I got my money's worth.

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Oh my gosh, your sweet Daddy!! I LOVE that he doesn't care for Emerald...LOL!! So glad that things are ok.

I have had the whole Post-Disappearing-Into-the-Black-Hole phenomenon happen to me as well. Is there anything more frustrating? No. No, there is not.

You did better that I have in the past though. I usually just get mad and forget the whole thing. Glad you re-did it! :)

Mocha with Linda said...

Now I KNOW I should have been at Target instead of Wal-Mart! Cute cute purses (except you can have the green!)

Love your faves. WIsh we could have some chocolate together.

And so so glad your dad is better. My dad did the Jumbles every single day in the paper. I used to love to lean over his shoulder and do them with him.

Smilingsal said...

Happy Birthday week!

I'm happy for you that you have your dad.

Madonna "stretches [her] arms out in a crucifixion-like way." That doesn't make her a Christian.

Life In Progress said...

Great news about your Dad AND a husband who understands that your love language is fashion accessories. Girl, the blessings are flowin'.

Pam from alertandorientedx4 said...

Hey girl--I'm typing with 2 hands, albeit making TONs of mistakes (just typed 23 hands and tones of mistakes). I blogged about purses, too. Love the green....

skoots1mom said...

so glad daddy's better...
i don't get into "emerald" either...go daddy!!

i'm more into robin miller these days...i like consolidating the time i spend in the kitchen and having things spread across multiple meals.

i didn't have a birthday recently, but i did have a wedding anniversary...19th, and i got a new camera, woo hoo! so, i'll get to post more pics and videos cause my camera's more powerful, smaller, so i can tuck in my purse and always have it to catch "the moments"...

have a gr8 weekend!!

Jeanette said...

If you want to find the blog that disappeared, go to "Edit My Posts" from your blog dashboard and you should find the saved draft. Happy Birthday.

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

Vertical Horizon is a huge fave in our house. The Man Who WOuld be Santa is at the top of the list.

And Sat night we are going to see JackoPierce, another college band along the same vein. Yea!!

Tammy said...

So glad that your dad is now doing OK, Linda! I love that picture of the two of you...and since he watches the Food Network, he's a man after my own heart.

It was fun to read your fav 5's...

Now, hurry over before it's too late...my 350th post giveaway ends tomorrow at noon. Cuz even if you have this little item, it could make a good gift...
Sorry, the old Pampered Chef consultant coming out in me, and I'm actually giving this away, not selling it! ;)
Have a good weekend, Linda!
~Tammy

Becky said...

Pantons!!! LOL! I can see you in a dire situation and asking a fellow user of the ladies room, "Do you have any pantons?" ~~blank stare~~

I am so glad your dad is OK. He has great color in the photo. He looks like a charmer... is he?

You are too funny with the purses... Black Beauty... I love it.

usafcole said...

I was in Target yesterday with Nate and almost bought that purse. I was needing a new black purse that can hold a ton of stuff and I found too many choices! I finally just had told myself to stop looking because I seriously could have filled the shopping cart with purses.

Greg C said...

I hate having to buy tanpons. LOL Been a long time since I had to thankfully. I can see those store clerks with those men buying them all.

My ADHD Me said...

I've been singing....ok, it's embarrassing.....but I can't get them out of my head....you know....the voices.... but I've been singing songs from...eh...Peter, Paul and Mary. I even had to write a verse at the end of one of my posts. I know. Weird.
By the way, I wrote about you in my latest post. That's the second time I've written about you. I also previously devoted an entire post to the "whirling dervish". No, I'm not a stalker. You just crack me up....or was I already that way????

Marina said...

we were at Target last week my firends and I and they love in with the black pures and there was a pretty orange one and red they mainly feel in love with the oragne for fall but the black bag was a must have for everthing !!!!

Hapy Birthday week!!!
BLessing for your Dad ")) ,marina

sara said...

Guess What?!! I got the mouse pad (pictures to come!). My boys came home from school and said "Who is Ken Lee?" I just smiled!!! I Ken Lee having something they don't know! ha!

Love your Favs!

ellen b said...

Linda! You have a way with posts and words and expression that is a joy to read. Fun times over here...
I love that your father calls emeril, emerald. We are starting a list of words that my mom and dad use that crack us all up. Like celkular phone for cellular phone. That cake looks fabulous! Thanks for making me chuckle this morning...

Susanne said...

That Jorge has wonderful taste in bags. What a sweetie just charging those right up. I so glad your Dad is all right! And I so want want friends who'll make me a Ken Lee cake! Can I borrow yours on my birthday?

Thanks for playing, my dear! You are definitely a joyful addition!

Melissa the Careful Wisher said...

Happy Birthday! Love the bags! Will be praying for your dad! God Bless, Melissa

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Amen to #4. :>)

Barbara H. said...

I got a new purse this week, too! You should see the purse meme here:
http://barbarah.wordpress.com/2008/10/08/purse-onality/

I am so glad your dad was left here to be with your family a while longer.

I am going to have to try Ken Lee cake some time!

Robin said...

I love all the purses - how fun!
It sounds like you had an amazing birthday.
The panton story- priceless!
And I'm happy to hear that your dad is doing well - each day longer we have with our parents is such a gift.

Karen said...

This is a great list. Jorge has great taste in purses, and I'm still laughing at the pan-ton story. Too funny!

Kim said...

Pantons!!! BAAhhhhaaaaa!!!!! :)

LOVE the purses! Oh.My.Goodness! That's ONE of my weaknesses! ;)

So glad to hear your daddy is doing well. :) Praising God!

Too many songs to choose from lately that I play over and over...Here I Am by downhere, I Am Blessed by Martina McBride, Dream Big by The Martins.

also wondering why I never listen to Vertical Horizon! LOVE them! Thanks for pointing us in their direction, Linda! :)

Becoming Me said...

LOVED this post. And belated Happy birthday to ya...those purses are cute!!

Fran said...

This is GREAT Linda. And, being the purse freak that I am...I love them all!!! And, the pan-ton story made me laugh out loud girl!

Happy weekend!
Hugs,
Fran

Barb said...

I've heard of you. Heh heh heh. But I do believe this is my first visit. :-)

Note to self - thank Susanne for leading me to such a fun blog.

That Jorge. My word, he's so generous! A belated happy birthday to you.

Muthering Heights said...

....oooo, now I want that cake!

Willow said...

Oh yeah! I love your fave five this week, especially the chocolate!