Thursday, October 09, 2008

Updates

*Edit: Had a little scare yesterday morning. Mom called at 4:00 AM and my dad was taken by ambulance to the ER. Long story short, it was not a heart attack, apparently not a host of other things. They kept him overnight. I was out there 12 hours yesterday, and then my brothers came back out to relieve me. You just never know what your day will hold. But 4:00 AM calls are the worst, for sure.*

First of all, I filled out an online form yesterday, and you know how they want to know what age bracket you're in? Well, guess what. Because of my birthday Saturday, I am now graduated to a whole new age bracket: 46-55 bracket. Daggone it. If they're gonna lump me in with AARP, I'd better be getting some discounts ASAP.



OK, secondly, is there a time limit on how long I can have that button in my sidebar? Because I'm thinking people might still be making their way through the videos. [Real reason: it is the best thing I've ever done in my life, and I can't seem let go of the moment.] I am amazed at how well this carnival went, thanks to you. If you haven't looked at the list lately, you must, because people are still jumping on the bandwagon, and one blogger, Cheryl, well, she outdid us all, content-wise. No one can top her content. No. one.

And the winner of my Ken Lee mug is Chatty Kelly from Wonder Woman Wonders. The winners of the mousepads by the same name are Sara from Make Music From Your Heart to the Lord and Chel from Leaving a Legacy. I wish I could've sent a gift to everyone who participated, because you all sure gave me a wonderful gift on September 30. Sniff. Love ya.

Let's do another one! What do you think about shooting for the week after Christmas? That way, most would still have decorations up, if they chose to talk about those, but the busy-ness of the season would be over. We could share the highlights of our holiday, or skazillions of other things. Of course, we'll be exhausted, but like shopping until you drop, this will be EXHILARATING! Let me know what you think, and let me know any cute ideas for names of the carnival you happen to think of. It takes a village to do a video carnival!



This is going well, too. I think I'm sticking to Mondays. Some of you have asked for the code to the button. OK. Try this:


Have you made any of the recipes yet?

Yesterday I made the corn chowder which I posted. Everything was going well until the end, when you turn it down to melt the cheese for the last 10 mins. I had the burner on 3 or 4 on my electric stovetop. I came in here to check email, got up, went back to the stove, and it was foaming! It had just begun to stick, so I jerked it from the heat and tried not to scrape the bottom to avoid loosening any "debris" that might be stuck there, which would then "loosen" the burnt taste throughout the soup instead of just on the bottom.

It's amazing the tips I could give for what to when you've ruined a dish. Ah-ha! There's my best-seller, right there! Anyway, I pretty much ruined the chowder.

So Jorge came in, and I told him what I had just done, and he just stood there, looking at the pot blankly, because he knows that in a situation like this it's better not to make direct eye contact with me or say anything about the food.

I reached up for a bowl to begin dipping, and water splashed out of the bowl which someone had put up wet, and my whole frontal area got soaked, so much so that I had to change tops.

After apologizing profusely for putting bowls of water in our cabinets, he tasted the soup, and I kid you not, said, "It's not bad. It doesn't taste burned. It tastes smoked, like when there's been a house fire and everything smells kind of smoky after that."

He should've stuck with the blank look and and muteness. And I should probably stick with vlogs instead of recipes. Sigh. I know you think I make this stuff up.

23 comments:

roxannekristina.blogspot.com said...

Glad the 4am call settled down. Alarming alarms! Whew.

Blessings,
Roxx

Merrie said...

So sorry about your Dad and day! I know and have received that kind of call. When the phone rings in the middle of the night - the heart stops!
Thanks for the code - I'll get it on my blog...
Soup... hilarious! You could just say you used "smoky" bacon and cheese to add a new depth. It could become a NEW recipe!

lmerie said...

May your day be calm and relaxing! :)

Cheryl said...

So glad that your dad is ok.
Thanks for the shout out! :)

I toasted a poptart for my daughter (cause I'm all about a healthy breakfast)the other morning and I didn't realize that there was a piece of something burning in the bottom of the toaster. When she took a bite, she said it tastes funny. So I took a bite and said, there's nothing wrong with it, it's just smoked!
I let her throw it away...oops!

Have a great day!

Chatty Kelly said...

Hooray for me! Ken Lee the Ken Lee mug! (well, I haven't received it, but I know I will Ken Lee it!).

myadhdme.blogspot.com blogged about the SEE WHAT I'M SAYING today (among other things) and said "This woman, singlehandidly put the entire blogging community into a frenzy and actually stopped all productivity in households across the United States and possibly worldwide. There have been reports that for an entire day, normally responsible and hardworking women, sat in front of their computers watching videos. One source reported that many women are still finding paperwork hidden under desks, laundry stuffed under beds and multiple coffee stained glasses that are a result of this halt in productivity. It only makes us think...what chaos could she create with a THIRD cup!!!" LOL!!!

Thanks for a great day. Already planning my Christmas post! Maybe we can all offer prizes (that Christmas gift that just wasn't right!!! LOL! That could be our posts - the worst gift...unless the giver reads your blog!)

Chatty Kelly said...

p.s. Why oh why do you put the important stuff at the TOP of the blog, and me with my short attention span gets all wrapped up in winning the mug and RIDICULOUSLY fails to mention your dad.

I'm glad everything turned out okay, and I hope he continues to improve. Sorry you had a rough night.

Mocha with Linda said...

Glad you're on the blog today. Silly me to think you might take a day off after yesterday. So glad things are going well. Hope you got some restful sleep last night.

Woohoo on the button code. I was wanting that.

Hmm, guess I'll have to put a digital video camera on my Christmas list (like I could figure out how to use it in a day!)

Oh, and regarding Jorge's comment...surely he's ordered & paid real money for smoked something at a restaurant before. Down here in Texas that's good eating.

Love ya!
Lid2

Sandy Toes said...

Glad your dad is okay...those are the worst calls before 6am! We have had our share! Hope today is more peaceful!
-Sandy Toes

Susanne said...

So glad to hear your Dad is going to be okay. That was a scare for your family!

I have learned never ever go near the computer when cooking supper. Guaranteed somethings going to happen that I didn't want to happen. And my family prefers their meals un smoked too. :vD

sara said...

Linda, so glad your dad is OK and praying you will get some rest today!

A Christmas "i see what you're saying" sounds wonderful!!! I am already planning it!!!

....and you know I am going to Ken Lee that mouse pad!!!

Smilingsal said...

LOL smoked soup?

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

You know what, Lid? I KNOW that you don't make this stuff up, because crazy stuff like this happens to me constantly, too.

Oh well, it makes life interesting. :)

Hope your Dad is faring better, now. Early morning calls definitely give me an immediate adrenaline rush, too.

Tammy said...

Oh yay. I want to do the ISWYS in Dec. Now I will worry about what I'm actually going to say before then. Ha ha ha!

Glad your dad is okay and that the smokey soup was a success. I'm gonna make it this weekend.

annie's eyes said...

I know a few of those tips for what to do after burning dinner, too, if you write that bestseller. A Christmas "I see what you're saying sounds like some good fun! I'll be there this time around. Give us enough time to get our houses decorated. Praying for your dad! Love ya, Annette

Barbara H. said...

I am glad your dad didn't have a heart attack. Hope they can figure out the problem soon. Those late night/early morning calls are so scary.

I love the idea of I See What You're Saying. I have no idea how to operate any of our video equipment -- not even the one on my own camera -- and no time to learn just now, so maybe I'll catch the next one. I haven't had a chance to look at the videos yet -- hope to soon!

Edie said...

I'm so glad your dad is alright. I hope they have found what it IS now that they know what it ISN'T. Praying for an accurate diagnosis and effective treatment.

So did you all sit down to a smoked corn chowder? LOL

Debbie said...

Any call between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. has my heart in my throat before I even answer! Jorge told Rocky about your Dad - I figured there would be an update here. Glad he's doing better.

Rocky would go for that smoked soup as he currently wants to smoke everything :)

Like the post-Christmas vlog idea -I'll try to get technologically up to speed by then!

skoots1mom said...

continuing prayers to ur dad and mom...

a little smoke goes a long way, doesn't it. i usually burn the toast and have to scrape it...i hate cleaning the sink with all the black dust crumbs...

ISWYS for the week after Christmas will be gr8...maybe sharing most unusual or weirdest gifts...that always gives me a chuckle : )
-or- what your family has done for others during that stressful/lonely time for some people

it's gonna b fun!!

Amy B said...

Linda,

I'm so glad that your dad is alright. That must have been really scary.

I'm looking forward to the Christmas edition! You ROCK!

PJ said...

So sorry about your Dad. Prayers for him. HOpe he's all better very soon.

And as for Jorge...did his "frontal area" get pummelled like he deserved for a remark like that??? Smokey like a house fire, indeed!!! The Southern in me wants to add, of course you were "cooking like a house afire!"

Edwina at The Picket Fence said...

You Dad will be in my prayers. If you have time, I would like you to read my Finale Farewell that I posted today on my blog (you are menitoned in there) :)

Marina said...

I am sorry about your Dad
,yesterday I went to see my Dad he is not doing well too and it scares me he is all I have left as a parent and it scares me to see him getting old.love marina

Mary said...

Hope your dad is doing ok. The 4:00am calls are the worst. The last one that I received was about 10 yrs ago when my brother passed away unexpectedly. Unfortunatly, the coroner called me because I had given him a card to put in his wallet with all of the families phone numbers. My number was first. Hmmm luck me. Anyway, not trying to be somber just expressing that I can relate.

The Carnival was fun! Let's do it again. This time will only be better. We all have the hang of it now. :-)