Wednesday, October 22, 2008

WFMW: Coping With Colds

Tonight, we're supposed to get our first really good "killing frost." Some people will be sad to see their beautiful flowers die; I will breathe a sigh of relief because flowers = pollen = misery. But I've learned a few strategies to help me cope with colds and allergies. Maybe you can implement them, too.

#5. Knuckles. In spite of washing hands frequently, they almost always carry bacteria under the fingernails, so if you must rub your eyes, try to use your knuckles.

#4. Sing. Wash your hands for the duration of two rounds of "Happy Birthday." This has revolutionized my hand washing and allows me to feel superior to everyone else in the public restroom.

#3. Nuke it. You should change your toothbrush every 30 days. But if you run over a couple of days or forget to get one at the grocery, don't fear. Nuke it for 10 seconds on high to kill bacteria. You could also rinse it in bleach, but I think nuking is more fun.

#2. Hand Towels. Change them often. In cold/flu season, I change them just about every day. And sometimes I put out separate hand towels for each of us. This changing of the towels is something I've lectured reminded my kids about many times because I'm paranoid that I will die and they will use the same towel for 15 years before they notice it's icky. So I told them I will never rest in peace if they do not change their hand towels and that I will be forced to haunt them after I die if they don't. So I'm pretty sure they'll do anything to avoid my hanging around when I'm no longer able to give them money, including changing the towels. I am smart.


#1. Best tip: Puffs with Vicks. You'll either love this or hate it. I happen to love it. It really does help open me up, and I don't mind the scent. They're soft and do not get all dusty when you use them, which exacerbates my allergies. Just try these. If you don't like them, you can send them to me at no cost to me; that's a win-win situation, if you're me.

Thanks, Shannon, at Rocks in My Dryer for hosting Works for Me Wednesday.

23 comments:

Nadine said...

Great advice. I love puffs but never tried the one with vicks.

Becky said...

What? Am I the only one up at this hour to be the first to post a comment on your blog AGAIN?

I'd wait until tomorrow but then i would forget :-p

Linda, you are too funny, seriously you are like a female Dave Barry with this stuff... but your better because you're a girl and I said so, and I'm almost positive you smell better.

Susan said...

Oh my goodness...this post made me feel like a slacker. I'm not going to lie. I TRY to do many of these things, but hand towels? We don't really use 'em. We dry our hands on our bath towel (which is personal to each person)...I put disposable hand towels out when we have guests.

Gotta' say though, I LOVE those Puffs!!

Have a great day!

:-) Susan

mom_at_home said...

I love, love, love puffs with vicks, which has just recently replaced my former favorite, puffs plus. Everyone with annoying allergies should try it out.

Greg C said...

I am an allergy sufferer so I will try these tips. You may also want to try taking high quality fish oil tablets. During the allergy season I take two in the morning and two at night and NO other allergy medication. It is working. Trust me. I took allergy medication for 35 years before I discovered the fish oil and I now feel great.

April in CT said...

Now I'll be singing Happy Birthday to myself every time I wash my hands. Hopefully I won't let it get out of hand and start doing it aloud while in a public restroom.

Mocha with Linda said...

My girl loves Puffs with Vicks. The first time my unsuspecting son & husband each got one, it was hilarious. Their reaction alone cleared their sinuses.

So there really are places where the frost is on the pumpkin, huh? Still in short sleeves down here. We might get a cool front and get down in the 70's later this week.

Smilingsal said...

Thanks for the tips for those who suffer allergies.

Frugal Finds said...

I hate cold season but love these tissues too!!

Liz said...

Uuummmm... I'm supposed to be changing my toothbrush every 30 days? Uh-oh. Excuse me...I have something I need to go do...

His Girl said...

replace your toothbrush once a MONTH? wow. i am a disgusting individual and I just never knew it. Totally only have been doing this 4 times a year!!!

*scrambles to target while calling mother to complain about the improper home-raising*

Laurie Ann said...

Great tips! Especially the happy birthday handwashing one.

Melissa said...

These tips are great!!! THanks for posting them. I'm going to change my hand towels while singing happy birthday right now. Wait. Did I get that wrong? :)

Merrie said...

I think from reading this that it is a good thing that I don't have allergies... whew... but, I probably would love the Puffs!

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

Q: Do you sing out loud in the public restroom?
Q: Does wiping the puddled' floor with hand towel after kid washes hands count as "washing?"
Q: Is it false advertising to say "Nouveau" on your hankie-box when the Vicks has been out for (*what?*--) two-three years now?

btw... LOVE the Vicks. (Kick out snoring husband and sleep with the Vick's hankie in cold season here in MN!)

and finally ... I will be nuking all day now as we have toothbrushes for each set of teeth in each bathroom! Yuk Yuk Yuk... to think tho' that all that bacteria is in my 'clean' hand towel. I must go buy some TIDE...

Fran said...

I just left Walmart with no new toothbrush so I'm off to nuke mine as well. Learn something new every day!

Debbie said...

I never thought about nuking my toothbrush. I nuke my kitchen sponges, just never occurred to me to do the same with my toothbrush.

Kirby3131 said...

I've had a terrible allergy season this year. I can so relate. I love the handtowel blib about your kids - how funny. I change my handtowel each morning, but I change my bathtowel each morning, too - so I just grab them all at once, toss. Grab new.

Great tips!!

Come by my place today to see how you can Cruise through the Holidays, in my WFMW.
Have a Great Day!
Kristin

skoots1mom said...

i use all your ideas...except i sing the abc's when i wash my hands...enjoyed the post!

Patrice said...

I did not know that they had Puffs w/ Vicks....I must find them!

BTW, I will get funny looks from now on as I sing Happy Birthday twice over while washing my hands...I know me, I will nver be able to sing to myself. Have I mentioned that I am a horrible singer?

Paula (SweetPea) said...

Bleach on my toothbrush? No thank you, I'll take the germs. I didn't know to change it every month. I always heard every three months. Oh well. I hope I don't die. I've not been ever so blessed (not) with allergies and I'm 34.

You must have hundreds of handtowels and lots of loads of laundry just from the towels. Whew--wee.

Pam Warden Art said...

Loved your post. We are hyper aware here of germs since my husband had a lung transplant and now has almost zero immunity. Wash all hands when you enter the house, that helps a lot.
My little sis has cancer and she was so sad looking in the mirror and singing, "Happy Birthday to You"...that I told her to instead sing Jesus Loves Me.
Hugs,
Pam

Tammy said...

A woman after my own germophobic heart!

Never seen those tissues, I'll have to check 'em out. Of course, they would probably break my sensitive skin out.