Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thursday 13 Christmas Q & A Plus Sincerely Fro Me to You

Welcome to the Christmas Q & A. File this under: "Getting to Know You, Getting to Know All About You ..." which, if I'm not mistaken, comes from a musical. (Wince!) Anyway.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapped gifts are nostalgic and beautiful. I miss seeing people unwrap boxes with anticipation, so I try to use those when I can. With gift bags, sometimes people look like they're rooting around scrounging for French fries in the bottom of the bag--quite unseemly. I always try not to be unseemly when I'm gingerly extracting a gift bag item.

2. Real tree or Artificial? Doesn't matter, as long as neither is ugly-skimpy. And I'm missing the aluminum trees with the color wheels. (Just hand me some bifocals and an crocheted afghan right now and get it over with.)

3. When do you put up the tree? Usually I restrain myself until right after Thanksgiving, but I'm always threatening (no one in particular) in my mind that someday, when I'm older, instead of wearing purple (because I already do) I'm going to put up my tree whenever I feel like it. And I might feel like it in October.

4. Favorite gift received as a child? Baby dolls and stroller, later, Osmond albums.

5. Hardest person to buy for? Everyone. Because the older your kids get, the more particular they become. When they're little, they love everything. Suddenly, they get "teen" tacked onto their chronological age, and a package of sparkly hair scrunchies loses its charm, as does a jigsaw of farm animals. Sigh.

6. Easiest person to buy for? Me! And that's why it's such a joy to buy things for me!

7. Do you have a nativity scene? No. But I do know what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.

8. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? An eight track tape of America ("Been Through the Desert on a Horse With No Name" America, that is.)

9. Favorite Christmas Movie? "It's a Wonderful Life," followed closely behind by Prancer and all of the others. Plus, I really love the short story/book "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever." The movie with Mama Walton did not do the book justice.

10. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Probably fudge. Or the other health foods so prevalent at this time of year.

11. Lights on the tree? Yes. I like white; everyone else in the fam wants colors. "Someday, when I am old, I shall have purple lights on my October tree."

12. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Sure!

13. Favorite ornament theme or color? Miscellaneous! Ones my kids made, ones for a pink tree I once loved, ones for a bronze tree that goes with the autumnal colors in my family room, but if I could do one this year, I'd do a black and white on a white tree for my dining area. Sounds weird, but have you seen those at Hobby Lobby (aka "Heaven") ?

Kristen from We are That Family hosts a weekly carnival called "Sincerely Fro Me to You," the most creatively named meme on the Dubya-Dubya-Dubya. Click on the button to get to Kristen's site.




This is my brother and me in 1965. He's 8 years older than I am. Now, see, just look at those beautiful presents in BOXES!

One of my favorite things to do for entertainment during the Christmas season when I was this age was lie on the floor and watch the color wheel rotate its magical mystical spell over our aluminum tree and white ceiling.

Fun times.

I also liked to lie under our coffee table for some reason. ? Anyway, I miss the Christmases of yesteryear. Perhaps I should lie on a towel on the hardwood floor this year and spin on my back looking at our puny blinking lights.

Some childhood experiences just can't be re-created.

36 comments:

Ballerina Girl said...

Glad you have a computer back...I like this one, very fun and holiday-ish! I will post my answers later...
I knew the lady who wrote "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever"!
Well, actually I am friends with her daughter, and when she would visit I would talk with her...
Happy Holidays!
BG

Ballerina Girl said...

ok, me again..
where do I get the questions to paste onto my blog? just looked at Thursday 13 site and ...nothing on Christmas from what I could see..
am I going blind, too?
BG

Mel said...

Not a thing wrong with a tree full of purple lights :)...love the post..Question 6 and it's answer are priceless.

sara said...

I so agree with #6!!! I am so easy to buy for....why can't everyone else be as easy?

lmerie said...

I think you should try the spinning! It might be fun! hehe

Dorothy Champagne said...

I also have to say the #6 is a piece of pure truth and honesty at the forefront! LOL

Kate said...

Really cool 13. I think you should put the October tree up next year just to be different. :)

Pam from alertandorientedx4 said...

White lights, definitely. My house is really crowded, now. So having the tree up is a little problematic. My kids would actually rather watch tv than look at the tree. Sheesh!
Glad the computer is back....or is it a new and early gift?

Lynn said...

Awe, Linda...

You did have a color wheel. Girl, I would also lay under the coffee table. Scary, we are so much alike. BTW, Donny Osmand Rocks! Or at least he did!

I feel like I am home with my sister in those fantastic years of kiddom. Hugs~

Marina said...

I remember the silver tress's with the color wheel ( what where they thinking) LOL!! we always had a real tree with lots of colored lights. ") marina

P.S.He loves you.. said...

Whatever happened to those trees??

Fire hazard ~ maybe?

Cute post..and I'm also the easiest person to buy for!

I may use this later..

We are THAT Family said...

I love that sweet old Christmas photo!

Susanne said...

I actually saw an aluminum tree for sale at the Canadian Tire store the other day. Felt like I had time warped back to the '60's there for a second. Didn't see a color wheel though.

And I love the boxes too. Give me the boxes any day. Shaking a gift bag to try to figure out what's in it is not quite the same as shaking them boxes.

This was fun. Mind if I steal it 'cause I so have no other idea what to post.

Paula said...

I like your thursday thirteen!
Great answers and very cute picture too!

Sara@ Butterville said...

Linda, I got the Donnie and Marie barbie dolls one year!!!! I loved DONNIE! OOH he gives me the giggles! I'm going to steal this meme...it's fun.
Did you know there is a test you can take to see which reindeer you are? OH yes, I will link it on my post when I do it.

Jeanette said...

Christmas....it's only November and Thanksgiving has not happened yet. eeeegad it's almost Christmas, thanks for the reminder.

Jules from "The Roost" said...

That was a fun read! I like gift wrapped boxes too and have those same memories of watching the rotating light on the aluminum tree! Wow :)

Laurie Ann said...

I'm hearing you on so many of these, Lidna. Fun post!

LifeAtTheCircus said...

I found you from Fro' Me to You... I really like your Thursday Thirteen.... did you come up with it? Can I use those questions on another day or is it today only?

Ah, Christmas... I am getting excited!!

Crayl said...

I also loved to be under the tables. We didn't have a fake tree back then, but we always had flocked trees, white and snowy looking...:)

Crayl said...

I also meant to say that your both look very cute!

April in CT said...

I love white lights on a tree, but sort of missed the color lights that do funky blinky things. So, on my white lights pre-lit tree I put a strand of color lights up the middle wrapping them around. I bought the ones that do all the different patterns and I love it! Just a touch of color and movement in the middle...and it drives my DH crazy that we got a pre-lit tree and I STILL have to add lights. hehe

I love that picture..so cute!

Sitesx6 said...

I look so forward to your blog every day.

Laughter is good for the soul, and your blog makes me LAUGH loudly!

Keep up the good work, and thank you for your nice comment on my blog. Part two of My Birth Story is finally up....:)

Blessings and I hope your computer survives life support.
Kelly (your new Michigan friend and reader)

Lori Anne said...

Patty @ God is Able led me to your fun idea & it sounds like fun. It will start getting me in the Christmas spirit. Thanks for sharing!

Nicholas said...

Nice list!

Don't forget that in the desert you can't remember your name for there ain't nobody for to give you no pain!

Lisa Laree said...

Sigh. I want a silver tree with the light wheel, too...my grandmother always had one. I'd put it on our back porch for the neighbors to enjoy...maybe someday!

Lisa Laree said...

And I have to tell April in CT that I put blinking lights up the middle of my tree, too! For the same reason! I thought I was the only one who did that!

Crayl said...

I appreciate the absolution!

Tammy said...

Oh how I love your Christmas tree of yesteryear.

I also used to lie under the Christmas tree for no reason and just stare up into the tree and the lights. I can remember making faces at myself into the shiny ornaments and laughing hysterically!!

Sit A Spell said...

Memories...that spinning wheel! My oh my, how I remember watching that thing spin. It was cool! The thought of my re-creating that memory, not so cool! Not sure I could get off the floor when I was done!
My mama...who is "older" does put her tree up early! She told me the other day..."I just don't open the blinds when the Christmas tree lights are on." The joys of being "older"...

April in CT said...

Lisa Laree! That is SO incredibly awesome! I am going to make sure I inform my husband when we're doing ring-around-the-tree this year with the color lights that I'm not the only one. I have no idea why I'm so happy I'm not the only one doing this. I've always thought it was such a great idea! YAY!

RosyRose said...

I love memories of yester year! In fact I was just thinking about that today while in Hobby Lobby. I love that store! But I was wondering why I thought I needed more Christmas stuff...I think I'm trying to recreate Christmas fantasies from my childhood!

By the way I don't want to be a name dropper but my friend is getting married to the owner of hobbie lobbies grandson. She calls them the HOB LOBS. I'm just wondering when I get some free stuff!

Muthering Heights said...

I love the silver tree!

Gretchen said...

Oh my gosh, I cannot believe you actually had an aluminum tree. And I find it even stranger that I think it's pretty! :)

Sorry about the prednisone. I try to avoid it as well, because, well, I like my personality and though I don't like my waist size now, it's preferable to when I'm on 'roids. Alas, when asthma calls, at times, like you, it becomes a fave for me.

I am terrifically easy to purchase or make gifts for, as well.

We read the Best Christmas Pageant Ever every year. One of my faves. It also plays nearly every year at our local theater (live, not movie) and they keep it very close to the book.

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

How can you not have a nativity scene?

SeansArt said...

Sad to say but, Gregs General Store stold your idea, if you want to be angry at greg then post a mean comment on his blog but i don't recomand you do it.