Saturday, January 17, 2009

Nephews--Sweet Beginnings



We welcomed the newest member of our family on 01.09.09: Luke. Luke's father is our nephew, Travis. I babysat Luke's daddy (boy, does that sound weird) when he was little, so this is pretty poignant, sweet and disturbing, because I am old. (What? This isn't about me?)

This is Travis as a boy. It's still kind of hard to believe that a couple of years ago, I posted about his wedding. And now they are a family. Travis, Meredith: We are so happy for you, and proud of you because we know Luke is going to grow up in a stable, happy home, where his parents will love him enough to teach him about Jesus. As you pray over Luke every day, don't feel silly for telling him how much Jesus loves him--out loud--so that the name of "Jesus" will be as natural for him to utter as it is to say, "Mom, Dad, I need you" throughout his whole life. It's not too soon to begin.

His tender little spirit needs to be nourished as much as his body every day, and God has seen fit for you two to bear that awesome responsibility of raising him, with all that entails. There's nothing quite like the burden of love you will now know for the rest of your lives. If you ever need us for anything, you just let us know. We cannot wait to hold Luke!


And this is Travis's brother, Jared, who is about to be married February 14. I know: "Awww. Valentine's Day." I also babysat this one, and nearly stole him from my sister-in-law and hid him in a dresser drawer or picnic basket because my mom-hormones had kicked in, but I was only a college junior just dating his goofy uncle, so babies were a thing in the distant future. I remember holding this kid and feeling so mushy I almost got dizzy. And look at his beautiful fiancee. Abby: Welcome to the family! Cathy: Someone has stolen Jared from you, and it wasn't me after all!

Now I just have to lose 25 lbs before February 14. I hope it's not too late for Biggest Loser auditions. (What? This isn't about me?)

27 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

Oh that baby is precious! Makes me want to kiss those cheeks and smell that sweet head!

What a sweet tribute to your family. Fun times.

Becky said...

That baby looks so soft, like velvet! He is beautiful. And congrats to Jared too.

Kim said...

Oh Lid, if only I could air express a glass of water to you! 'Cause my water would totally take you to that place you want to be by Feb. 14th. Of course you'd also be sicker 'na dog between now and then. But I could almost guarantee you'd lose 25 lbs. I'd have to send you some of the parasite medicine I had to take, too. It also works well. I seem to have stopped the weight loss at around 25-30 lbs.

A Stone Gatherer said...

What wonderful news! Sweet new life! I love what you told them, so true! Have fun on the 14th, and I don't think you need to lose 25lbs!!!!

Chatty Kelly said...

Sweet, sweet. And of course this is about you! Why do you think I come over here? It isn't for Luke & Jared...it's for YOU and your reaction to them. smile.

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Aside from the beautiful face of that darlin' baby, I'm so excited to see you have the LOST countdown! I watched all of Season Four last week again to refresh my memory. As if doing that would help me figure out anything at all.:))

LuAnn said...

Congratulations to the Great "Auntie". When do you get to see Luke?

Mel said...

OHHHH babies sweet babies!!!

sara said...

that baby is so sweet!!!! Oh I can't wait for grandchildren..oh wait, yes I can!!!

Baba's Blog .. Babies Are Special said...

Good morning Linda, welcome Luke into our world!!He is a precious gift from God..his sweet little face is so cute.Congrats to all of the family to have another family member to love!!!

Travis and Jared are handsome men..Have fun at the wedding...
Hugs, Baba

Tabi said...

Oh, sweet new baby....I just love the new baby smell....ahhh.....it's not about me either huh?? Congrats on the new addition to the family, he is precious!!!

a Tonggu Momma said...

Babies have a way of making us feel young and old at the same time, don't they?

Linda said...

Precious!

Mrs. Bridget G. said...

How sweet. New life is such a blessing. Please come and claim the award i gave you on my blog!

skoots1mom said...

how precious...what handsome nephews...your circle of family is broadening...isn't it gr8!

Angie Ledbetter said...

Warm welcomes to the newest angel! (And if you need to lose 25 pounds, I'm in deep doo-doo.) :)

Kerri said...

What a precious baby! And what an amazing heritage those nephews have, too... I love your words of wisdom to Luke's parents. On another note, I'm out to lose 25 lbs, too...I'll be rooting for you!

Susan said...

Awww...I love this post Linda! I am sure it will be a treasure for your nephews as well.

Congratulations to all.

Susan

darla said...

sweet!, thank God for these weddings that make us kick into gear for weight loss...though i don't think you have 25 lbs. to lose!

RissaRoo said...

That is one of the most beautiful newborns I've ever seen! And your advice to his wonderful parents is beautiful, too. Some of the best advice for new parents I've ever read. Teach him, beginning now, to call on the name of the Lord! And all God's children say...Amen!

truth said...

What a precious post! What would we do without family? Such a blessing all around. Travis & Jared are blessed to have you as their Auntie, and now their families are being blessed.

Good luck with the 25 lbs. Maybe we should make a pact. I want to lose 15 by my birthday in March. Let's be big losers together.

Edwina at The Picket Fence said...

Linda, What a beautiful baby, I know you are a proud 'Aunt'
By the way I tagged you (I'm not sure if I did it right, I still cannot do the links right, but I will get it eventually)

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

How sweet! Congrats to both couples.

Hollie said...

what a little cutie of a baby!

neat post, I love hearing stories like that.

Jules from "The Roost" said...

What a wonderful new addition to your family! Precious

Linda said...

The part about telling that baby about Jesus so he knows the name of Jesus, and it is as common for him to utter as Mom and Dad...that about made me cry! If I had children, I would have wanted someone to give me that advice. That was precious.

Debbie said...

How adorable and what good advice to the new Mom & Dad.

You think your nephews getting married and having babies makes you feel old? Wait until it's your babies who are having babies! Grandbabies are absolutely the GREATEST - but they do make you feel old.