Friday, January 16, 2009
Friday's Fave Five
1. Birthday party Wed. night with my Gal Pals in the basement. This is Rachel, who turned 39 and tried to whine about it until the rest of us who are over 45 slapped her unconscious. I know I look terrible in this pic, but give me a break; it was already way past my bedtime, 8:30.
2. Don't you love my sweatshirt? It says, "Crow University." No, there isn't such a school. You order hats and shirts with your surname. Perfect gift for the "know it all" in the fam.
The great thing about this group is that we can be really honest with each other. Like, before the party, I called one friend and left her a message: "Leslie? It's Linda. I don't know if I can come to the party tonight because I'm just too gassy. I mean it's terrible. I think the Fiber One yogurt I've been eating did me in. I've been eating Tums like they're candy, but Jorge is about ready to put me out on the porch. He actually said, 'Can't you control your stinkter muscle?' So if I can get a handle on this, I'll be there. Otherwise, I won't."
She listened to the message while pushing a grocery cart and reports to me that she lost it there in the store.
And then there's that other great thing about how we have given each other permission to slap each other unconscious when we feel it's called for. Whining about being 39? Whap-Whap! She was lucky to get out of her own party alive.
3. My paint stirring sticks. I have one on my nightstand and one always with me in my (big) purses. These are my back scratchers, and I have major back itching issues. MAJOR.
On our way to church Sunday, I told my 16 year-old daughter in a "Mommy to little kid" voice, "Now, Kristin, you behave today, or Mommy will have pull this stick out and rap your knuckles right in church!"
To which she dryly replied with the most deadpan expression, "I would rather you beat me with that in church than stick it down the back of your shirt and scratch your back with it." That's my kid! Gets all of her charm from me! Getting an exasperated rise out of my teenager? Mission accomplished, day complete.
4. Pretty, pretty snow. Being a lifelong Hoosier, I've seen a lot of snow. But what fell this week was something strangely new to me, and I can only surmise that Al Gore had a hand in this: snow that seemed to have tiny little fuzz balls in it. Even Jorge said he had noticed it looked different, too. Perhaps it is polar bear fuzz that they are shedding because it's too warm for them. By the way, the temp yesterday? Picking up Kristin at 3:00, it was -3*. Click on the 2nd pic and look to the right edge of the snow to see the polar bear fuzz.
5. Jorge is not only a weekly fave; he's a perennial fave! And LOOK at what he's drinking from: The Ugly Mug!