Friday, January 30, 2009

Skoots! "Say it Forward" Inaugural Post

Mom Blogs

I appreciate reader comments, and so do you. Don't even try to tell me you don't give a whit one way or the other about whether or not you receive comments because, in the words of the great 70s group Kansas, without comments, our blogs are "Dust in the Wind, All We are is Dust in the Wind." I had to wipe away a single tear just then.

Comments show us that at least one person is not only out there reading us but may also be resonating with something important we've just proclaimed to the world, like, "I Ken Lee International Delights White Chocolate-Coconut Coffee Creamer." I mean, a revelation like that, wow, it begs to be published on the Internet.

Similarly, a stunning confession such as, "I always mis-type my name 'Lidna' for 'Linda'" often evokes other powerful confessions from readers like, "When I was in my 20s, my mom told me I look like Ted Koppel," which, by the way, is probably my all-time favorite comment because it sent me into paroxysms of laughter then and still has the power to do so today, and no, I cannot quite explain why. (You're dying to know who said that, aren't you?) All this to say: Blogging Community = "You are not alone in your brain. We live there, too!" Scary, and yet, comforting.

Amazingly, no matter the drivel I toss out on a daily basis, someone says, "Me, too!" and then from my end, anyway, it's a veritable cyber love-fest between that commenter and me, in a purely platonic way, of course. Unless Matthew Fox happens to comment, "Me, too, Lid," and then it clearly crosses the platonic line, a place where I'm not willing to go with you, Matty, even though you plead in a cold sweat, "Lid, we have to go back;" I'm sorry, Matheo, but you'll have to find another soul mate today, Dr. Commenter.

Anyway.

At 5 Minutes for Moms, there's a new Friday carnival in which I'd like to participate called, "Say it Forward," which is a way to thank people who are regular commenters to your site. Please click on the button to read the details.

So on this maiden voyage today, I want to encourage you to visit "Skoots1Mom," at "My Hands, His Glory," one of my most faithful commenters and participants in any hair-brained schemes I have going on here at 2nd Cup.

About herself, Skoots says:

Blogging has helped me fight the doldrums of "mid-life" issues because bloggers make me laugh at them, their attitudes, and myself. They give me those "smiley" 'mones when I don't have any of my own.

I am a 10-year colon cancer survivor as of July 2 this year. I love participating in ACS's Relay Walk each year. My Daddy wasn't as blessed to have the same early information about colon cancer, but because of his diagnosis, I was informed I might need to get tested very early, which saved my life. Now, I'm a huge believer in early detection, knowing your family history and charging ahead instead of fearing diagnosis. Each year brings better diagnoses, better treatments and longer life.

As a youth counselor, I'm challenged to listen as teens share where they are, and I am able to share the gospel with them so that they understand the Bible as a lifelong user's manual instead of a "book of stories." Seeing the Holy Spirit in them as they grow is one of the highest blessings of my life.

A friend shared this with me recently: "If you give up when it's winter, you will miss the promise of your spring, the beauty of your summer, the fulfillment of your fall." If you'd like the see the narrative that goes with this quote, please go to
The Pear Tree.

Some Skoots factoids:

Interests

* Singing
* Playing keyboard
* trumpet; American Sign Language
* Charcoal sketching
* Gregg Shorthand--in my blood
* Photography
* crocheting
* youth counseling

Favorite Music

* Contemporary Christian
* Chicago
* Neil Diamond (and we are still friends.)
* Carol King
* Michael Buble
* Bozz Scaggs
* The Less
* Switchfoot

And this is her response to my previous post, which is WHY I LOVE HER!
LOVE YOU, SKOOTS! Menopausal Minds Unite! Please bless Skoots by hopping on over and saying, "Hi!"

23 comments:

Edie said...

How very sweet of you Linda. Loved Skoots video. Happy Friday to you.

Rach@In His Hands said...

Thank YOU, lady...for making me laugh and think and laugh again. You're something special.

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

What a wonderful sentiment to our faithful friends!

Comments = LOVE, to Gayle. I hate that about me, but they DO.

Thanks for introducing us to Skoots! She looks like an awesome lady. :)

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

Just thought I (rub it in, no no be nice) share that I actually(lucky me) get to hang with scootsmom on a regular basis, she is a true friend and sister in Christ.

We worship together, talk almost everyday, we are in an accountability group and we participate in a bible study group as well.

I can't say enough nice things about her. She on my "A" list of friends.

I highly recommend stopping over to her blog. She is a truly wise, wonderful, witty, speaks the truth in love and has a wicked sense of protection for those she loves deeply.

Many days she has been the strength that has held me up when I did not think i could do it on my own.

I just love her!
That'all, that's enough!

Great choice Lid!
Blessings
Robin

skoots1mom said...

yes, u know us very well...i had to click to see who looked like Teddy...
her post cracked me up...i just envisioned the mideastern gentleman behind the counter saying, "meeees, pleez puuuuut de mug baaaaaack on de shelf...you break, you buy. OK, you kin take a pee-chur, but you muss bi sum-ting!"
I often wonder what people are thinking as I'm taking random pictures for my blog...
thanks for the post...you're one of the best out there and I'm excited about being part of "say it forward"...
enoy your day! Can't wait to see how many comments I get today ;)

sara said...

that was great! I love this carnival!

Have a great weekend....in the snow!

Merrie said...

Yes, Amen, I agree, and I'm right in there with you (although I'm 'post' and it does get easier)... love you!

Beverlydru said...

What a fun post! Enjoyed getting to know Skoots better.

Greg C said...

I don't know Scoots but I know Scoots mom. LOL She is on my list of must see blogs today but I haven't made it to her yet.

Mocha with Linda said...

Lid, Lid, Lid. Or as Skoots1Mom says, Liddy (hmm, as in G. Gordon?!) We can BOTH be old men! LOL

Great carnival, tribute to Skoots1Mom, and tribute to blogging. I raise my cup & lid to you!

My Trendy Tykes said...

Great post, Lid!

(that is coming from another Lid....I often misspell my own name too!)

I will check out your bloggy links now.

Lidna or Linda whatever you wanna call me.

Mocha with Linda said...

And here I wondered what I was gonna blog about today. . . .

Sitesx6 said...

What a rockin awesome idea...to pay it forward in the blog-sphere.

Loved it.
You never let me down!
:0
Happy Friday
Kelly in Michigan

Edwina at The Picket Fence said...

You picked a great one, I love going to Skoots place and seeing what is up with her. Have a warm weekend

james1-5 said...

Oh no..."all we are is dust in the wind" without comments?? Well, I hope that isn't true, because that would be very discouraging for us new bloggers who don't get very many!

Have a great weekend :)

Blessings,
Susan

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

New bloggers have a grace period for no comments.

Sitesx6 said...

You are the BEST for taking time to leave such a thoughtful and wise comment on my blog.

Great advice...seriously. I will value that advice and take it to heart. I need to not take things so personally...many times people don't mean things like they say them, but I automatically assume they have some ill intentions.

Thank you so much. You helped a sister today :)
Kelly in Michigan
PS have you ever had to deal with a blog comment that hurt your feelings and kept you up at night? (I haven't ...but just wondered if you have dealt with that)

Jenny said...

Great post and so true everyone wants comments:)

Ballerina Girl said...

The Steelers WILL win...
there is no doubt in my mind!
Happy weekend!
BG

LuAnn said...

Thanks for the laughs today. I'm sorry I can't see any Ted K in you.
Happy weekend!

My ADHD Me said...

ME TOO!!

(lol)

Debbie said...

We do love our commenters. Especially our first one:) And I got to pass that first comment love onto a new blogger this week.

Jeanette said...

I do love your blog! You make me laugh and you are so right, we are all looking for those comments on our blogs. I was in denial until now, thinking that my blog was only for me. I realize now that I have thoroughly enjoyed blogging and getting to know my cyber friends. Generation Xer's look out, Baby boomers are in cyber space.

Have a great weekend.