Monday, March 02, 2009

It's Scarf Day!



If you are here for the first time due to the scarf carnival, welcome.

I am Linda, or Lidna, depending on how fast I'm typing.

I love scarves. In fact, yesterday I wrote a post containing an ode to scarves to the tune of "Teach Your Children Well" with apologies to Crosby, Stills and Nash. (Did I mention that I'm old?) You should check it out; I think it could be a hit.

Most of the scarves pictured here were purchased at Target or TJ Maxx or even Walmart for $5.00. But the solid grape-colored one came from my daughter who brought it to me from London, and another is a purple scarf which I crocheted for myself in another life or when an alien possessed me. Donny Osmond liked purple, too, apparently even purple scarves, but he married someone else who probably didn't even care for purple very much. His loss.

Plaids, solids, brights, stripes, crocheted, silky or pastels, I love them all. When I die, I want my body to be wrapped in my scarves like an Egyptian princess, kind of like this but with more scarves:


I have about 18 scarves. I decided to hang them on one bedroom wall because they were crowding my closet and they're so colorful. So I bought two unfinished shelves at Hobby Lobby, painted them white and hung the scarves. Here are my pastels:



And here are my brighter scarves:



And now I shall model a couple of them.



The "Larry King Background" polka dots.











The leopard. With a smirk.












Christmas scarf. Dog scarf, sorta.








Finally, here is why I always wear a scarf--Look what happens when I don't. It makes me ugly and traumatizes my children:



If you'd like to see an excellent video about how to tie scarves, check out Melanie of Big Mama as she has provided a video with several scarf-tying alternatives.

Thanks to Rachel, hosting this carnival at Unexpected Blessings!

31 comments:

Dena said...

I was going to ask you what you do with your scarves, since that's a situation I'm having. The peg shelf is a good idea!

Oh, and I would have had to arm wrestle you for Donny Osmond. When he sang his song "Puppy Love" with his pre-pubescent soprano voice, I KNOW he was singing it to me. ;-)

April - Team Tottle said...

All your scarves are so pretty. This carnival was fun!

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Man those scarfs are cute all hanging on the wall like that...I'm so gonna copy you.

Debbie said...

I love how you have them hanging too! Great idea. I would wear mine more if they were better organized.

Mocha with Linda said...

So cute. Just can't see it on me, though. I may have to tie one on though. LOL

And is it just me, or did the font on your blog shrink?

Beverlydru said...

I feel like you are one of those friends that my Mom described when she would ask, "If Linda told you to jump off the roof, would you do it?" And yes, I think I would. I've always been gullible. LOL. So I posted my scarf post. Yours is fabulous and funny. Mine- not so much. How could I possibly top my ugly mug entry?

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Very cute post...love the scarves...I don't own any...what's up with me? Love the Leopard with a smirk!

Wendi @ Every Day Miracles said...

Excuse me while I try to eradicate my scarf envy.

Sweet collection!!! Wow.

Sara@i.Sass said...

First of all LOVE that picture of Donny Osmond.
That picture of your pink and purple scarves was so pretty. I love all those colors.

The Bayou Belles and Their Beau said...

You are like a photoshop genius.

Rachel said...

You are so funny! I recently discovered the beauty of the scarf for hiding a double-chin. Unfortunately when it's been 75 degrees for two weeks straight, there hasn't been a whole lot of opportunity to don a scarf.

Garden Girl said...

First, you would never need a scarf to be more pretty. Ever. So, just stop that chitchat.
I only have a few. Maybe I will post today..
But Lid, you must come over and see my Mom's hat! You will crack up!

Chatty Kelly said...

So is this what you meant when you said "I like to tie one on." LOL! Okay, folks, Lid never really said that, but I couldn't resist.

Have a great day! I had to look twice at Donny...at first glance I thought it was Elvis, who also liked scarves.

Tammy said...

This is hilarious! I am ashamed to admit that I do not own any scarves.
Yes, it is true. Shhhh, don't tell BigMama

I almost feel obligated to get out, right now, and make a couple of purchases.

Jackie @ Our Moments Our Memories said...

Ooh, I need to get with the program and get some more cute scarves...look at yours! And all organized! Very nice, Lidna.

Greg C said...

I only have one winter scarf and I don't wear it very often. You have quite a collection.

RamblingMother said...

who doesn't like a purple scarf? and I think donnie made a terrible mistake marrying someone else!

Sue J. said...

Thanks for the mention of this on your blog; fun to join in today.

I have more of a retrospective look. But, clearly, I'm still all for scarves!

Love your scarf hangers, girl! Homemade is the best!!

Raise Them Up said...

Hmmm. I'm going to have to dig through my leg warmer bag and see what scarves I held onto. Not sure how they came to live in the same bag, but at least I know where they are! lol!

How fun!

Jules from "The Roost" said...

Wow you could open a scarf store! :) I love scarfs too and need a few for spring....it hides my old neck!

annie's eyes said...

My daughter persuaded me to wear scarves a while ago, and so I have a passion for pashminas. Love the way yours are displayed. I have a sudden urge to clean my closet. Maybe it will pass.

JenD said...

ok if she gives away a queen of the scarf i nominate you...goodness look at all those cute scarfs?...scarves? :)

Mandy said...

Nice collection! Wish I had room in my room to hang them up too! Great idea!

Edie said...

I like your peg shelf scarf hanger. That's a great idea. I love your scarves too! Cute, cute!

Jenny said...

I like how you organize them. They are very pretty. I am going to have to check out the $5 scarves at wallyworld even though I hate that place:)

Rach@In His Hands said...

Look at you with your witty scarf poems and your fancy scarf shelf thingy!! SO fabulous!!

Susan said...

You never cease to amaze me with your creativity. I have worn them...but I almost never do. I love the way they look on other people, though.

Hugs,

Susan

Elizabeth said...

Wow, you truly are the scarf queen!

Linda said...

Love all the colors! You can rock a scarf woman!

Rachel @ Unexpected Blessings said...

I feel as though I am the worst Bloggy Carnival Hostess EVER!!! My internet is FINALLY back up so here is my long overdue comment...

Your scarf collection puts me to shame! So many, and so beautiful! Maybe not wearing enough scarves is what is wrong with my children! I simply must get some more!

Thanks so much for joining up! You made my carnival much more fun!

Connie said...

As always you are so delightful to visit. I love Donny's scarf and still have a crush on him after all these years! I love your organized scarves...one more thing to do to keep up with you girls...Connie :)