Friday, March 13, 2009

Sayin' it Forward



award

Yesterday, when I was planning this post, I decided to honor my RL friend Debbie from Like a Rose as being one of my favorite loyal commenters. Later that day, I received news from her, conveyed in her ironic and witty style, that due to a reduction in force, she had lost her job.

Wow. That news was hard to hear. My friend is hurting.

So upon learning about Debbie’s job situation, I began to re-think my post because I didn’t want to be insensitive in any way. And then I thought, “Maybe God led me to want to bless Debbie because she IS going through a rough time beginning today.” Not that I think writing a blog post ameliorates the heartache and stress of losing a position, but at least it says, “I love you” in a way unique to bloggers. And since she wrote about this change on her blog already, I felt OK to talk about it.

So if you haven’t met Debbie from Like a Rose yet, let me introduce you.

Deb and I attend the same church, where we met doing children’s ministry several years ago before I started working in the youth ministry. We have done Bible studies together, our husbands are in a small group together, and we have leaned on each other in stressful times. She’s aware of all of my warts, ones that you know nothing of, and she still loves me and is my friend.

Last year she was in a terrible automobile accident, and I was seized with overwhelming love and sadness when I got to the hospital and saw the condition she was in.

But Debbie is a survivor, that’s for sure, and so I know that she will lean on Jesus and her family and friends, and she will survive this, too.

Fun Factoids: Debbie loves to travel. She studied to be a journalist. She is a new grandma. She loves Jesus and her kids and has compassion for others. She and her husband, like Jorge and I, have been to Kazakhstan where they blessed children there.

Last week, Debbie had a “shower” for the local crisis pregnancy center where I volunteer. She invited several friends to bring baby-related items as they would to a personal acquaintance’s shower.

When we gathered in her GORGEOUS home which was sweetly decorated for a baby shower including a cake, she had prepared a lovely meal for us, complete with homemade bread.

That’s Debbie in a nutshell. Now you should read her stuff!

Like a Rose is great because Debbie is witty and smart … and takes great photos!

Here is a great sample of her wit in a post where she asks grocery store questions such as:
  • “Why do I always get the NASCART that only wants to go left?”
  • “Why are all the different things to drink spread out all over the store? Pop/soda and some tea on one aisle - coffee and some other tea on another aisle - water on yet another aisle - and then the juice on still another aisle.”
  • “Why does the store whose TV ads promote being 'green' have cashiers that snarl at you when you have the reusable bags?”
And believe it or not, on the very day her life took a wild turn, she wrote a Thursday Thirteen post about "Thirteen Things to Do When You Unexpectedly Lose Your Job." You don't want to miss her 13th point.

Love you, Debbie! You're definitely a favorite, loyal commenter--on the blog and in Panera! You're always welcome to speak into my life!

15 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

I'll pray something better comes along for your sweet friend.

Tabi said...

Sounds like one great lady! Heading over there right now! And what a great point...why is the drinks all spread out everywhere in the store??? Never really thought about it before!

DoubleDeckerBusGuy said...

Fingers crossed that Debbie's employment situation is relatively painless and brief. Thanks for posting this...

Mocha with Linda said...

What a sweet tribute to your friend. Just went and visited her site and left a note. She sounds like a doll.

Love the NASCART comment!

sara said...

I know your friend is feeling the love this morning...great post! I'm heading over there right now!

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

Wow! Thanks my dear friend. You are such a blessing to me and your post brightened my somewhat "roller coaster of emotion" morning. Sleeping in was GREAT! It's what to do with myself after that where I become a little lost...

Love you, and thanks to all your readers who have stopped by with encouraging words.

Greg C said...

I visit Debbie's blog daily. (even more than I visit yours, haha) Seriously though I didn't know that you two were friends in RL. I am so sorry Debbie. :) Now I understand.

Laurie Ann said...

Sounds like a lovely lady. I dashed over to her blog and said a prayer for her. I admire her spirit of fun at being able to do a post like that in such a scary time.

Beverlydru said...

To read your post about her is to love her. Yes, I think the timing for encouragement couldn't be better.

Mel said...

thanks for introducing me to her blog!!!!

Ang baylis said...

She sounds like an amazing friend. Thank you for introducing us to her. I'll go over there right now. It's great to have friends on the blog, but we need the friends we see at Panera, know our warts and love us anyway in person! Have a great weekend, Linda!
Love,
Angie

Esthermay said...

You have (even more)warts that we don't know about?
:-)
This is a wonderful thing you do today on your blog -- a wonderful tribute to a friend and an invite to another cool bloggy friend. I go visit now. . . . .
Have a Wonderful Weekend.
P.S. I appreciate your blog! You've got something very special here - seriously, don't laugh at me. I'm being nice!
:-)
:-)
:-)

RamblingMother said...

Sorry to hear your friend has now joined the ranks of the unemployed. There are millions of us out there and very limited space!

Susanne said...

She sounds like a great friend. So sorry she's going through the job loss.

lisasmith said...

Thanks! I always love making new friends!!