Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Questions About Blogging


I just saw that I have written 1,076 posts on this blog.

I guess you could say I love words.

In elementary school, when we would have free time inside instead of outdoor recess due to rain or snow (a good possibility from October to April, btw) I would head to the back of the classroom where my teacher kept stacks of brownish recycled paper with the solid and broken lines on a fly-infested cement windowsill. I would grab a couple of pages and begin writing a novella at my desk while the spiritless peons around me "played," oblivious to the creative genius in two pony tails just rows away.

Apparently, I still love to write because it's difficult for me to skip a day here. I would probably just keep on writing and writing right now, even if you clicked away and didn't come back for five years. If you came back in 2014, I'd probably be blogging about 30 x 5, Phase 72 and how I keep watching American Idol despite it being the worst season ever.

So here's a stolen meme about blogging. Trying to find its source of origin would have led me down a path of links that I'd still be on in 2014, so I'm just plain ol' stealing it.

1. What is your blog about?

Good question! Every bit of advice I read about successful blogging includes the admonition to make your blog about something. "Find a unifying theme." "Be an expert or at least an aficionado." This is also the main problem when I talk to editors about publishing a book. They like what I write, but I don't have a snazzy theme, like, "Teenagers. Aren't They a Hoot."

But my blogging style reminds me of a dog on walk; I'm distracted by every different smell, sight and sound along the path. And off the path. So much is amusing!

I see something on TV or in World Magazine and think, "I've got to blog about that," or my kids say something funky or I have a day when my finger gets caught in the wheel of the paper cutter at work and I break the toilet there as well, and I think, "Yep, that's a post." It's all good. No, literally--it's all good!

2. What will you never write about?
  • Something that someone asks me not to write about
  • Details about my job, which often kills me because that is one rich topic; believe me.
  • Details about my marriage
3. Have you ever considered quitting blogging?

Yes, when I feel overwhelmed with the pressure to post daily or comment as much as I'd like elsewhere. I just don't have enough time. And time seems to be speeding up exponentially. It's a little freaky.

4. What would you do instead?

I used to write long hand, especially when I went through depression, page after page. Then I started keeping an online journal, just a Word doc. It's possible that if I didn't spend so much time blogging I might submit for publication more. It's also possible that I would be the queen of crosswords because I LOVE solving them almost as much as I do writing.

If you took all writing possibilities out of the equation ... I would ... breed Yorkies? At that point, I would become divorced because Jorge would not even consider that option. So maybe he should buy me a laptop.

5. What do you think blogging will be like in 5 years?

In five years, I'll be 51, which seems unbelievable. I doubt I'll have a grandchild by then, but we'll still have American Idol, so I'm set. I sure hope LOST is resolved by then. Or do I?

6. What is the most extraordinary thing that happened to you because of blogging?

Extraordinary? As in "extra-ordinary?" Hmmm. I've joked about Clinton Kelly emailing me, but that's about the only odd thing that has happened as a direct result of blogging. It has been a little strange and fun to meet people for the first time who tell me they read my blog because someone else introduced them to it.

One time a friend with whom I'd been acquainted years ago but hadn't spoken with in recent years told me that she read my blog regularly and then saw me in the grocery store but was too star-struck to say hello. Totally cracked me up.

It has also been wonderful and "extraordinary" to meet you! Isn't it amazing the friendships that can emerge from just the written word? BTW, happy birthday, Diane.

7. Did you write a blog post or comment you later regretted?

Yes, and I did delete the post. I think it was inflammatory, and I'm not about that. You all know I'm not afraid to have an opinion, but when I first started blogging, I went off on an issue in an un-loving way, and that I regret. But now I'm more growed-up 'n stuff.

8. Pet peeves?
  • Music that automatically loads with a blog and scares me to death because my speaker is up.
  • Really, really long posts (like this one, Lid?) without paragraph breaks.
  • Constantly mixing font styles and sizes within a post. Have mercy.
  • Centering posts.
  • Preachiness, sermonizing
  • "Reaching" too far to make a spiritual point. Sometimes a cookie is just a cookie, a coincidence a coincidence. In my opinion.
  • Too much sappy praise for the husband. A little goes a long way because we probably don't think he is the sexiest man in the world, but we're glad you do. Plus, when you're struggling in your marriage and people go on like that, it's painful. It's like bragging about how rich you are to the impoverished or something.
#1 Pet Peeve: Anonymous negative comments. Do that here, and you're toast. Wow-was that un-loving?

End on a happy note:

I love:
  • Posts written by missionaries and teachers.
  • Posts about teenagers.
  • Humorous posts. My favorite post ever is probably Big Mama's Like the Sopranos, But Without the Violence. It is one of the funniest things I've ever read in my life. When I linked to it here, I started reading it again and laughed out loud. It's so funny, but at the same time, it's poignant and loving. It's a blogging masterpiece, if-t you askt met.

I agree with William Davis (no clue who he is, actually) who said, “The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and then think for ten minutes.”

*********

30 x 5 Update: Elliptical for 30; said no to Sugar Cream Pie, our state pie. But caved in for a piece of pineapple upside-down. Sigh.

28 comments:

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

What a great post! And I whole heartedly agree on the blogger pet peeves :)

Linda said...

I am soooo stealing this meme! Kind of interesting and I vow to never leave an anonymous post or I will be toast (will you make the offender write that 100 times on the lined paper from the fly-infested window sill?)

Love your blog (whether it has a coffee maker at the top or not!)

Susanne said...

I personally love that you have no theme, Linda. I lurve your randomness, you humor and your stories. You had me with the King James in the bedroom. And Donny. ;v)

Kim said...

I for one am glad you chose to blog rather than raise Yorkies! And that you have a compulsion to write, write, write. Keep it up! :-)

Mrs. E said...

I'm with you on the pet peeves. I can't believe you don't blog about your job! (I can't keep mine out.) And I'm with you on the randomness of your posts. I couldn't come up with a theme if I tried. My life is too full to stick with one subject! Blog on!

Kay said...

I totally agree with your pet peeves. The centered thing drives me nuts... can't figure out what line to read next.

But love this whole post. True. True. aaaaand True! :-D

My ADHD Me said...

In 5 years, blogging will consist of sitting in front of your computer, putting your finger (with a microchip already implanted in it) in a slot and just thinking.

Your thoughts will automatically appear on the screen.

Oh No..My POOR readers!!

Mocha with Linda said...

Love this. Especially the pet peeves. Especially especially the pet peeve about the music. (And it makes me crazy to have to hunt down the player to turn it off so I can listen to the Then Sings My Soul Saturday post!)

So glad you are writing writing writing. Since I love to read read read!

So up north they call them "two ponytails"? Down here, those are pigtails. LOL

Dena said...

We really could have been separated at birth. we have the same sort of "out there" sense of humor and oh girl, I totally agree about the sappy husband posts. My man adores me, so it's all good.

Great post. :)

Melissa said...

Love your pet peeves. All the fonts and fonts and colors and fonts. And the music always makes me jump out of my skin! Love it!

samurai said...

I like it! Thank you for sharing that "meme" (i am slowly learning terms like this).

I hope my blog has never given you a sour taste... but i'm sure they are not all good/warm and fuzzy.

And since you like to write so much... :) What would you recommend as a short book to help an aspiring writer? I believe you've already given me your opinion about S&W's The Essence of Style. But i am finding myself struggling with things like adverbs, adjectives, sentence structure, punctuation, etc. I was thinking about Grammer for Dummies - but i also need citing references.... HELP! I am a mess! LOL... sorry, i am not trying to turn this...

I love your blog - and it is bookmarked on mine for a reason! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and insights with the rest of us.

H-Mama said...

I agree with William Davis (whoever he is) and.... you! :)

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

Love the dog analogy!

You never know when grandbabies will show up - five years is a long time. I mean, for me there were years of zero and now there will be 3 in less than 2 years!

Love the meme you "stole" and your answers. I strongly agree with the first and last two peeve!
I'm also glad over use of "!" wasn't one of them...

Greg C said...

Wow what a long post. You need more paragraph breaks. LOL

I am with you on all counts. I am sorry for reaching sometimes and I too deleted one post because it was to negative. Do you know how to leave an anonomous post?

30 minutes on the elliptical while filming. Try to beat that, LOL
I passed on desert last night. I want key lime pie and I want it now.

Heth said...

SUGAR CREAM PIE?! What is it and where has it been all my life?

Can I have your piece?

Lois Lane II said...

Okay, I really like this meme!!

Gwendolyn said...

Blogs are supposed to have a theme? I read your entire post (and even clicked over and read the Big Mama post and laughed so hard that I had to leave the computer and go pee for the 600th time today.) but I got stuck on that one concept. Hmm. I'll have to think on that for a while. The only theme that I have going on is that I keep forgeting that I have a blog.

I do so agree with your pet-peeves, though. :o)

Erica said...

I always wait impatiently for your blog to load so that I can see what you've written today. I love that you write regularly, and I love that you make me laugh.

When I was in grade school and we had indoor recess I would read at my desk. It could be chaos around me (and frequently was) but I would get lost in my books. None of the other kids could understand that about me.

skoots1mom said...

girl you had me laughin...and not thinking about taxes at all!!
There was NO mention of anything tax-related...thank you :)
Let's hear it for ALL the TEA parties!!!!!! Keep up the pace :)

Julie said...

I can't believe you've written over 1,000 posts. I've not reached 100 yet... Am I behind?

And in 5 years you'll be 51... that's how old I am today, so I guess that means I'll be 56... oh gosh, did you have to bring that up????

Loved this meme!

Rachel said...

Linda, it touched my heart reading about your longhand journals & depression, because I've gone through something similar (with a similar transition to a word doc journal). This is why I love your blog, because even in all the side-splitting humor, there is still a very real person behind the pen (keyboard???). :)

LOL about the breeding Yorkies.

Mimi said...

I'll be there for part 72!
Don't worry about age-50 is the new 30.
I am stickin' to moving and groovin', gave up my butter and sour cream on my baked potato, and today
I gave up cheese in my scrambled eggs.

Sitesx6 said...

Thanks so much for your post. I am pretty sure I have broken at least 5 of these BOO BOOs on my blog. I'm new to the blog world (been reading for years finally caved to having one for myself) and I'm NOT NOT NOT a writer and I don't like to write...I like science, does that make me a nerd? Yep.

Anyway....thanks for the link to Big Mama who I've read for years and must have missed this particular post. I THINK I PULLED A MUSCLE LAUGHING SO HARD.

Wonder if we will ever have BLOGGER AWARDS like the CMAs, Oscars, and People's Choice awards...you and Big Mama will be nominated for sure. :)

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

Girl, i'm stealing this meme when i get through with my "riveting" "ground breaking" blog mini series...it may never end.

love it, totally agree about the music over a blog. I hit the sound button the minute i hear any music, it is a total distraction.

Blessings
Robin

marina said...

what a really good post and meme !!
I still have journals I long hand where I just put everything down & all,,,
sometiems I think blogging in 5 years we be like when my space 1st pop out everyone had one and then a web site now a blog what well be next ??
Mm don't really know if I will be blogging in 5 years b/c you are right it takes time alot & sometimes it's hard too fine it and then go back and
read all the other places we like to go post on its hard on tiem,
I really like these post ") have a nice day. marina ")

Stonefox (otherwise known as Heidi) said...

One of my pet peeves is when blogger does things to your post (like font and size, etc) and WON'T LISTEN TO WHAT YOU TELL IT TO DO! Drives me nuts!!!

Tammy said...

Amen, and amen about the automatic music. However, a few of my favorite blogging buddies have that feature and I still visit!

And in 2014, I will still be reading your blog! :-D

Blessedw5mom said...

Oh Yes that automatic music scares the jeebies out of me. I love visiting your blog!

~Heather~
@ http://growing-in-rejoicing.blogspot.com/