Tuesday, May 26, 2009

If You're Not Happy About This, You Can Always Kvetch to Greg: Phase 4 of the 30 x 5


Option A: You won't like this phase of the 30 x 5.

Response: Please direct all negative comments to my buddy Greg at Greg's General Store because this was all his idea.

Option B: You'll be up for the challenge and think you might actually like it.

Response: Please direct all flattering comments to Lidna Crow, the genius behind this idea.


The Concept (w/apologies to Robert Frost):

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
A stroke of 30 x 5 brilliance.

Or:

I took the one less traveled by,
And to my muffin top said, "good riddance."

OK, so here are the clues: "The Old Switcheroo" and taking the road less traveled.

It's time to change it up, people.

For the next two weeks, you're going to change a little sumthin sumthin in your routine.

For instance, since I do quite a bit of my aerobic exercise on my elliptical, I am now going to do 5 minutes forward followed by 5 minutes backward, SWITCHING the routine from my normal forward-only motion.

2nd for instance: I've been eating Cheerios for breakfast for a week. I'm going to therefore incorporate different foods at breakfast: yogurt, fruit, eggs, veggie omelet, etc.

Do you get the picture?

Thus the clever inverted image you see in the button for Phase 4. I know. I kill myself, too.

I know what you're thinking: "Why, Lid, why."

Well, why are you so philosophical, asking "why" all the time? Haven't you ever heard the saying, "Ours is not to question why; ours is but to do or die?" Because I think that fits this situation perfectly. You don't want to die, do you?

I didn't think so.

There is a good reason for switching things up, so I will send you to an article called Change Your Workout Routine: Avoiding the Plateau by Jason Johnson, which spells it out clearly.

But in my lingo: Your muscles have gotten smart, and they're working the system. Now you have to counter their smugness with a sucker punch.

So let's review. Because if you've been keeping up with all of the 30 x 5 phases, here's what your life would look like now:




Phase 1: You pledged to move around, any way you pleased, for 30 minutes per day, for 5 days per week. Thirty all at once or in intervals. Any kind of movement counted. The point was to get started moving.




Phase 2: You subtracted, by approximation, 100 calories per day for two weeks, understanding that if you did so, you could lose one pound of fat per month just by doing this alone. So coupling Phase and 1 and 2, you began to get some discipline back into your physical life and make positive changes.



Phase 3: You pledged to drink more water. The goal for most is 8 6-8 oz glasses per day, with the understanding that a more accurate guideline is to halve your weight and drink that number in ounces.





So how has it been going for you? I'm happy to report that the water in this picture is indeed in my refrigerator, and I am slugging it down all day long, which is even more of a lifestyle change than moving around is for me.

And I have done an overhaul on my food consumption AND joined a gym.


I'm serious about this, people. Because June is knocking on our doors. No, not that June. You know what I mean: June. Pools. Swimsuits. Sleeveless tops. shudder

You can grab the code for the button in the right sidebar, if you please. Please leave a comment so that we can come visit you and see how you're doing and what you're thinking about all of this. I'm thinking of going through Phase 6 and then ending this endeavor on the blog (not in my life). What do you think? And do you have any suggestions for Phase 5?

27 comments:

2Thinks said...

I'm probably the only one up blogging at this hour to read these posts that come out at midnight. I know just how I'll switch it up. Fashionista has a routine she's been trying to get me to do. It's hard, but excellent for the muffin top. I'm gonna try it- tomorrow. It is already tomorrow, so it'll actually be today when I try it for the first time. Yeah, go visit my blog and answer the question I put on my Blogging blogpost.

Love the pic of Mrs. Cleaver over there, Lid. You outdo yourself- every day. I'm past amazement.

Heidi

H-Mama said...

look at you... such a leader-by-example in this challenge!

power-walking with my dog 3 miles is not an option anymore... too hot! so, we can only go 2. does that count for this part of the challenge? kidding. you'll be happy to know that after my 2 miles, i worked out with bob when i got home. ;)

Chatty Kelly said...

What happend to 2 weeks. Didn't I sign up for 2 weeks?

Treat me like Billy Joel would treat me, babe. Tell me "Don't go changing, to try and please me...I love you just the way you ARE!"

I'm going to go have a soda and a candy bar. Wait it's only 7:20 a.m. Actually, I'm going to the gym. BUT I'm having a big ole' coffee latte WITH WHIP when I'm done.

Dena said...

I'm still wishin' I could join you in this, sounds like fun. I did however want to warn you that when you start doing the elliptical backwards, be prepared to not be abel to sit properly for a day or two. You're going to find muscles you didn't know your tushie had. Another fun way to change it up is to not hang on to the elliptical bars. Keep your arms at your side. Great for balance.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

OH Chatty Kelly, I love you just the way you are, but I love you too much to leave you that way.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Dena, I have found those muscles. They're like awakened zombies.

Susan D said...

Hey Lid, I'm up for Phase 4. I'm going to add riding a bicycle and changing up some foods. I'll get the button posted soon with how Phase 3 has been going. Blessings, SusanD

Oh yeah.....thanks a lot, Greg! lol

Greg C said...

Ahhh that is what I said wasn't it. Well thanks for the credit/blame. This morning I had a cuccumber for breakfast and if I can just stop burping long enough I might have another cup of coffee. I am leaving the house in the morning with only a glass of OJ and I am going to look for another machine at the gym to try. I guess what I am saying is count me in.

beckyjomama said...

I am in ... and I am shakin it up! Even though, I am pretty dern sure it might kill me!

2Thinks said...

You don't know how happy it makes me to actually be able to understand what you commented about the button and that I actually know how to remove the old and put on the new. Whoopie! I also just accidentally stumbled into your feed and subscribed. I have no idea what this really means or where I will again see that feed, but hey....I'm game for the new.
Heidi

Mocha with Linda said...

Oh, you are so clever. And you know what I thought you meant by the title! :-)

You asked, "You don't want to die, do you?"

No, but I'm beginning to wish someone else would. Or at least that this challenge would! LOL JUST KIDDING!!!

I like CK's comment - whatever happened to "two weeks"? I bet you convinced Jorge to marry you for "two weeks." And here you both are.

Let's see, change my routine: maybe I'll eat dessert for breakfast.

And that refrigerator picture? Do you have more than one refrigerator? Because I buy 6 gallons of milk a week. That takes up considerable space.

Love you, friend, and you really are motivating and convicting me!

H-Mama said...

I hoped I would go under the radar unnoticed. ;) No, I have tried... but my side margins are too small and it leaves part of it cut-off. So, until I get that fixed (and I'm not tech-savy, so it may be a while) I will be joining this venture... via (somewhat) witness protection style. Ha...

skoots1mom said...

jumping rope...10 mins=30min walk...i will have to wear TWO bras though, so i don't pound myself to death :)

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

Okay, I'm in and I'll be doing double phases because Phase 3 and vacation didn't work well together. I mean seriously, if I'd consumed all that water we'd still be at a rest stop somewhere in Minnesota! So I'll be watering myself as I switcho-chango.

For Phase 5 isn't it about time to go brown? I know suntans are bad but we should 1)go brown with our food by reducing white flour and sugar intake and 2) go natural by eliminating hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup.

Lois Lane II said...

HAHA, LOVE it! I actually do the forwards, backwards thing. My husband thinks I'm crazy; glad to know I'm not, lol!

Rach@In His Hands said...

Hey Lady, sorry I haven't been contributing much to the 30x5....since we found out about the baby, I've been too distracted! I'm all about jumping back in with y'all and switching up my routine. I've been running and doing 30 Day Shred.....I think I'll add in some sprints!

christy rose said...

I am loving reading everyone's suggestion. I will be waiting to see what you decide.

Teri~Facedown said...

Okay, I'm in. I did phase 1...half-heartedly. Phase 2...no problem! Didn't actually sign up for phase 3 but implemented it. So here we go phase 4! (Jogging here I come.)

:) Thanks Lid, great plan!

Angela said...

You lost me after phase two...but only because my life is too chaotic for rhythm right now. :-) And from Thur. to June 10th I'll be on vacation. Whoo-Hoo :-)

Jackie @ Our Moments Our Memories said...

I'm in! And my version of switching it up is kicking Billy Blanks to the curb and submitting to Jillian's iron fist. I did the 30 day Shred today and my legs were shaking as I walked around the house afterwards.

elizabeth said...

Oh so glad my computer has been repaired because I am so in! Luckily I have until tomorrow to figure out my change-up.

And I liked the idea above - and can't believe I'm saying I like it! - about going brown. I've been pondering all the processed 'stuff' I'm in love with lately.

Someday Sarah said...

I'm in.

LuAnn said...

I will try this again!!!! Thanks for the encouragement. With my walking daily I am going to add a walking to work and my neighbors pool is ready to go. Maybe some swimming too. !!!!

Beverlydru said...

Oh, Skoots made me laugh hard with her comment. I'm in. I recently won The 30 Day Shred and I think that is totally shaking me up. The water challenge was not a challenge for me as I had that one down. Except when travelling all day in a car.

Jenny said...

hmm I don't know what to change, maybe no more cookies and monkey bread ;)

annie's eyes said...

Reluctantly, but knowing how good it was for her, she said yes. Count me in. I need an overhaul, but one step at a time is good for me. I did well on the water challenge--harder than I thought, and now am shaking up some standard meals and adding a walk at noon. Thanks for the inspiration, Coach.

Angie said...

Yay! I jumped into this whole thing at Phase 3 and then went driving half way across the country - clearly, not the ideal time to up your water intake. However, I am up for this 4th challenge...June ought to be a great month! Yes, let's go to 6! That would be awesome. Only suggestions - take a daily vitamin, weight training, 7-8 hours of sleep.