Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"Shined" vs "Shone," the Devil Bird Revisited and Goodbye Australia



Some of you commented the other day that my kangaroo-loving daughter is a "chippette" off the old block when it comes to writing. I must say that her verbal acumen and execution are fierce, waaaay more better than I's. (Don't you just hate when people say that?)





Laser-like verbal skills are wonderful when you're a 22 year-old who loves your parents again, not so wonderful when you're a 14 year-old who's not so crazy about them. It was rough sailing for a while, but now the seas are calm. See? There are good points to your kids growing up!

She has a BA in English and wants to be an editor. So for graduation, one of the gifts I gave her is a white t-shirt that says:


"No passion in the world equals the passion to amend someone else's draft" HG Wells

It's written in red "ink," of course.

She liked it. Because I think it's literally true for her.

Here is one last short excerpt from her final message before leaving Australia. If you liked the "devil bird" comment in yesterday's email message, you will enjoy this.

Today we had a free day, so we all went to Manly Beach. And no, it's not a bodybuilder beach, which is what I thought it would be at first. The name still cracks me up--It is actually a really beautiful beach and the sun eventually shone today, so it was perfect.

Too cold to swim, though, and the beach had signs out warning people not to swim anyway. But the salt air smelled soooo good. I seriously would live at the beach every day if I could. The only thing I didn't like about the beach was the stupid seagulls. Those things are vicious and are pretty much disgusting.



Oh!!! Also, I ate crocodile pizza and emu pizza tonight. Be impressed. No kangaroo for me, though--I couldn't do it after feeding them and petting them. The crocodile kind of tasted like fishy chicken--very weird. The emu was pretty good, though, and I would eat it again. Plus the fact that I was eating the same type of devil bird that bit me didn't hurt.


Well, I can't believe that the baby whose sippy cup I filled 300 times per day is eating crocodile and emu, but I still can't wrap my mind around Martha Stewart going to prison and making prison ponchos, either, so I guess I just don't adapt easily.

By the way, are you wondering why she wrote "shone" instead of "shined?" If it emits light it's "shone," and if it's made shiny it's "shined." That's my girl!

18 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

Ooh, I love that shirt! Sounds like she's a Lizzie Borden after my own heart.

I've also seen a shirt I like that says "I'm the grammarian about which your mother warned you."

She's a brave girl to eat the crocodile and emu. More brave than I would be, that's for sure.

Fun pics and update!

Becky said...

How fun! Australia is one of my dream destinations. LOL, Manly reminds me of Little House on the Prairie.

Beverlydru said...

What a fantastic trip. Thanks for letting us tag along.

Susan D said...

Very impressive....eating crocodile and emu. Thanks for the lesson on "shone" and "shined." I'll be using it. :) BTW, my 30x5 challenge update is posted. Count me in. Blessings, SusanD

2Thinks said...

Loved the shone and shined lesson. I'm going to try to use those words correctly on my blog soon for practice. Thanks!

His bald head shined and his headlights shone. Is that right?

Heidi

Dena said...

I'm betting you are a super happy mom having your baby back on US soil again, I know I would be.

Glad to hear 22 is better than 14. We're at 19 and it's already much better, so in 3 more years my heart will be shining (or is it shoning? *sigh* now I'm all confused).

Susanne said...

Gutsy gal, that one, trying alligator and emu. Manly Beach cracked me up. Wonder why they wouldn't let you swim.

RamblingMother said...

What a smart girl you raised there. What a fun trip. Not so much on the eating of the strange animals though, ick, heh.

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

Who knew, obviously you and the DD, speaking from the grammatically challenged perspective. You out shine us all!

Blessings
R

annie's eyes said...

Oooh, very brave on the 'gator and emu choices. I think I could be a vegetarian. I know you're glad she's home and can share her travel adventures. She sounds a lot like my daughter, Lauren. "Katy is so bright, she shone like the sun." "The new necklace shined like a Christmas ornament." Both feel awkward, but I'm taking your word for it. Okay practice is over for the grammar lesson.

skoots1mom said...

thank you, Lord, for bringing beloved home safely from her trip abroad. Continue to give her rest as she adjusts from the flight and change of hours, it can be exhausting. Provide Your best guidance as she makes decisions about her career and future while giving mom and dad assured glimpses of Your leading.
amen & amen

Merrie said...

Thank you for clearing that up. I have always just "known" which one to use, but didn't know WHY I was using the one I used.
There are so many benefits to children growing up. My girls are truly my best friends now. We love whatever we do together and talk several times a day - even when we've spent the entire day together.

Greg C said...

Well I wouldn't have known the difference in the two words if you hadn't mentioned it. I was only learned through the 12th grade though. Haha

I gotta get me some emu.

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

The grammar humor in this post made my day.

christy rose said...

Linda,

I can tell that you are one proud Momma! Me too! Isn't God so Good?!

Christy

Carmen Gamble said...

LOL...so much to comment on. I would definitely try the emu and crocodile. Once you've tried smoked eel you'll try anything. I wanted my kids to think for themselves, so I taught them to reason. Uh-huh...I can't win an argument anymore, even when they're wrong! ;)

Fun post...enjoyed the mini vacation and the smiles!

Kim said...

Kudos to her for knowing when to use shone vs. shined! I still have to look up some of those toughies (lay vs. lie) because my Teflon brain refuses to retain all I've poured into it.

I indulged my editorial OCD tendencies by attending the Denver Publishing Institute (a post grad course) in 2000. May never edit professionally but I can professionally edit. LOL

Actually it was a wonderful experience and one I'd highly recommend. Aside from great training, it's a wonderful place for networking and making connections because it's taught by people in the industry, most of whom come out from NYC.

Plus my favorite bookstore is in Denver. The Tattered Cover is AMAZING!

MarkS said...

If you're shining something--shoes, flashlight, etc--use shined for past tense. If there's no object being shined, use shone. The sun shone, your daughter shone as she demonstrated her English skills, etc.

Though sportswriters today seem determined to destroy irregular verbs. "The Mavericks shined as they beat the Spurs..." Maybe English is moving that way.