Monday, May 25, 2009

Update from Down Under

Observations of Australia from a 22 year-old. (She won't mind.)

Hi Parentals!

I have a little bit of free time right now (it's 9:06 pm Aussie time) so I thought I'd give you a quick update on what all I've been up to over here.

Sydney is an uh-MAZE-ing city--it's got all the momentum of a major port city, but the atmosphere is so laid back! It's a little weird; I expected it to be more like London or Chicago or New York, something like that with people hustling everywhere, but so far it hasn't felt like that much of a rush.

So far there hasn't been a lack of anything to do, and I've really liked hanging out with the group for the most part.

So let me think of what all we've done so far:
1. Toured the Sydney Opera House--so massive and so impressive

2. Toured the Susannah House--built in 1844; a row of houses that is now a museum, still in its original state (they said they aren't going to restore it--weird and not very practical, if you ask me).

3. New South Wales art museum--aboriginal art exhibit. I am way more into this than I thought I would be.

4. Featherdale Wildlife Park--I FED WALLABIES AND KANGAROOS AND PETTED A KOALA. LIFE GOALS ACCOMPLISHED. I also got bit on the finger by an emu, but am ok. Devil bird.

5. Bondi Beach--awesome beach with very blue water and beautiful cliffs on either side. They call lifeguards "lifesavers" over here.

6. Botanical Gardens--got caught in a rainstorm today, but the gardens were still beautiful. Managed to see 2 flocks of wild cockatoos (yes, seriously!) and got one to sit on my foot. Then it tried to eat my jeans.

Plus we've just been walking around the city and doing a little bit of shopping here and there. We rode a ferry to Circular Quay (pronounced "key"), which is part of the Harbor, and saw the amusement park where Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen filmed part of "Our Lips Are Sealed." (One of the girls is a fan of them--she flipped out when she saw it. Pretty funny.)

We've been exploring the restaurant scene here too--so far I've had fish & chips, Portuguese chicken (my new favorite), and quite a bit of Chinese food, seeing as how our hostel is just a few blocks from Chinatown. Tomorrow is our free day--I think a group of us are going to the Museum of Australia (it supposedly has a dinosaur exhibit), then shopping for souvenirs during the afternoon, and then going to Luna Park at night. Luna Park is a small theme park and it's really pretty when it's lit up at night--mainly I'm just going for the Ferris wheel.

I've taken a ton of pictures and I can't wait to show them to you. See you soon!

Katie


Serously? This message from around the world is from this baby girl? Oh, yes. I remember now. I blinked and she grew up!

16 comments:

granny said...

So glad she is enjoying her holiday in Oz..will your daughter be visiting anywhere else?or just Sydney? From Granny,(down under) :0)

sara said...

so fun!!! what an amazing experience she is having!

I am sending my son off to Germany today for 2 weeks with his grandparents....I blinked too!

The Bayou Belles and Their Beau said...

Well, we can see where she gets her writing skills and sense of humor. She's funny just like her old mum.

Dena said...

May I just say that Katie is beautiful! And I'm so wishing I could have stowed away in her suitcase. I'd love to visit Australia. Was this just a group for that went for fun? Or some specific group? Was I not paying attention when you posted about this?
Oh...and "devil bird" made me spit my water. LOL

Mocha with Linda said...

Why didn't someone tell me not to blink?!

She is gorgeous and she is a chippette off the not-so-old blockette with her writing.

H-Mama said...

The Bayou Belle took the words right off of my keyboard. You should be proud.

I don't want to blink...

Susanne said...

Sounds like she's having a great time. What a great experience for her! I totally get what you mean about blinking and them growing up. I wish they'd cut that out! ;v)

skoots1mom said...

so how many times have you re-read that letter??
every word is so rich and wonderfully written.
you must be biting at the bit to see her pictures and/or be with her there as she is enjoying each moment. we're sending our girl to italy next summer with the latin classes.
continued prayers for safe travel, good food and friends and many vivid memories to wrap throughout all those synapses and stay with her for many years to com

christy rose said...

Linda,

This was precious! You are right about the blinking thing! Maybe Linda, from Mocha with Linda, is right! I should try not to blink. My kids are getting so big so fast.

Thanks for sharing this. Made me appreciate my kids still being home, which honestly, some times find myself thinking I am looking forward to when they are on their own. :( I am so bad. That is just once in awhile though. Mostly, I love every minute of their presence in my life.

Christy

annie's eyes said...

So pretty and quite the clever one, like her mom. Time sure does fly, doesn't it! Love you, A

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

Sounds like she's having a great time. I'll go back and read previous posts from the week when I am "reconnected".

bethj said...

She is very pretty and precious. I'm envious about seeing the koala and the blue water, lol. Really enjoying her posts...and the pic of her as a little girl was so adorable! Thanks for sharing this with your readers, very interesting.

"Rachel" said...

Sounds like she is having a blast!

You're a good mom to let her spread her wings. I spent 3 weeks in Europe when I graduated college (I was 21) and it was one of the best experiences of my life. She's going to remember this forever. :)

Brenda Susan said...

So sweet. She is adorable & a great writer, wonder where she got both those traits? You have every reason to be very proud.

Kim said...

Devil Bird. LOL Great descriptor!

They do have a way of growing up, don't they.

And a way of keeping us entertained :-)

Tammy said...

Clearly I am WAY behind on my blog reading. I was just thinking about your daughter's trip and found this post! Sounds like she is having the time of her life...so glad she accomplished her "life goal" while there! :-)