Friday, August 21, 2009

Friday's Fave Five-A Book, A Movie, A Blouse, A Food, A Song(s)









Susanne at Living to Tell the Story continues her highly acclaimed and successful Broadway smash of a meme: Friday's Fave Fives! (Wild applause.)
Here is my list.

1. My Favorite Book This Week

As you probably know, I don't read much fiction. However, I did find a novel recently that I'm waaaay into, as in I'm falling asleep each night reading it and can't wait to pick it up again. It's called An Accomplished Woman by Jude Morgan, St. Martin's Press, 2007.

I like it because the characters are rich and the dialogue is true and the author slips in great witticisms and observations through the characters' thoughts and dialogue. Here's an example of a passage that I stopped and re-read three times.

The passage describes the way the protagonist, Lydia, feels about her mother and then her father:

"Loving her and admiring her, still Lydia had always looked to her father as one looks instinctively at the clock; that must be right. That will tell me where I am."

2. My Favorite Movie This Week:












"Every Girl Should Be Married," 1948, Cary Grant and Betsy Drake. I didn't know until after the movie that Grant and Drake were married for about 10 years.

These classic movies entertain me on several different levels. One of the weirdest ways they engross me is the difference in standard pronunciations from then and now. I don't know what accent it was that they were all using, but it seems like all Hollywood female stars pronounced "girl" "gull."

"Yes, she's a lovely gull, isn't she?"
"Quite."

3. My Favorite Purchase This Week:

A blouse from Maurice's, which is similar to this:















4. My Favorite Food This Week:

It's a repeat, but I LOVES it ...






Pure Protein Peanut Butter Bars. Twenty (20!) grams of protein. It's like a chocolate bar that is good for me. I have about three BOXES of this bar in my cabinet right now. It's a great mid-afternoon chocolate craving snack.

5. The Song That Has Stuck in My Head All Week:

It's a tie:

A. Carrie Ann by the Hollies

B.

Candy girl (sugar, sugar) - Archies

So I hope that leaves on a happy note to start the weekend. Thanks, Susanne!

22 comments:

SusanD said...

Great list. I'm going to search out those Pure Protein bars. I'm always on the hunt for those but most I've found don't taste very good. Have a fabulous weekend. Blessings, SusanD

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

love the old movies,

Happy Friday
Robin

Debbie said...

I don't think that there is a Cary Grant movie that is bad.

Mocha with Linda said...

I didn't dare click on Candy Girl. It will get in my brain without even listening to it! When I was in 3rd grade, our class was supposed to "dance" to it at the fall festival. My parents wouldn't let me. Ixnay on the dancing and of course they were horrified at the sinful rock & roll song. Now it cracks me up because now it is basically easy listening!

Lois Lane II said...

Oooh, I LOVE Cary Grant. I loved him (and Doris Day...sigh! I want all of her dresses -- I was SO born in the wrong decade, lol!!) in That Touch of Mink...I actually watched the newer (95) version of Sabrina with Harrison Ford. Love him too, haha, but now I have to see the older one!

Debbie said...

How fun you are! And I always have some song stuck in my head. It is usually an annoying one:)

Jerralea said...

Hmm... now I'm wondering where I can get those bars ...

I don't even want to mention what song gets stuck in my head for fear that it will get stuck in my head again today ... oh man! too late!

Willow said...

Cary Grant can always make me laugh! I am amazed that I haven't seen that movie, as we are big movie classic fans and have watched a lot of old movies. Off to tell The professor to put it on the Netflix queue.

ellen b. said...

Had to chuckle at gull...I could actually hear it from memory of those oldies but goodies. My father pronounces girl...grill, we always get a kick out of that. Have a great weekend Linda!

Susanne said...

Well, thank you very much Linda, now I have 2 songs from you running through my head. LOL. Hey did you hear about Archie popping the question?

I haven't watched a good classic movie in such a long time. I might have to remedy that this week.

That book sounds good. It's going on the list.

barbarah said...

I love old movies but have not seen that one -- I will have to look for it. Love Cary Grant!

That book sounds good, too, though I had not heard of it, either, Putting it on my TBR list!

Have a great weekend!

(Sorry if this comes through twice -- it is saying there is an Open ID error.)

Lisa notes... said...

You had lots of good finds this week. The Archies' song brought back memories from my childhood. My sister and I used to argue over what the lyrics actually were. ha. Back then we couldn't google it to find out.

Melli said...

One summer I dedicated my summer to watching alllllllll the old classics that I could think of that I had never seen -- Casablanca, Singing In the Rain, Oklahoma, ... and a few old favorites too - like Seven Brides For Seven Brothers... But somehow I MISSED this one! Every Girl Should Be Married... I'll have to rent it! I LOVE those old movies! Great list this week!

The Bug said...

I've often wondered about the accent in old movies too - where were all these people FROM?

elizabeth said...

Candy Girl - oh the memories. Do you remember when they would print a record on the side of a cereal box? I had one for Candy Girl and played it over and over.

Faith said...

loved your list! especially the movie...Cary Grant is one of our fave actors and my hubby and i LOVE old movies...they don't make em like they useta!

Brenda said...

I love the way you illustrated each one of your favorites. I read a lot of fiction and that book looks great!

Sandy@JesusandDark Choc said...

ah Sugar, ah honey honey, you are my candy girl......Ooops sorry I was just singing along. And now thanks to your, I have THAT song stuck in my mind now!!!

BTW, those candy/protein bars look good, I am going to have to check them out!
Movie sounds good, can't go wrong with Cary Grant!

Fiddledeedee said...

I will be renting that movie. Sigh. I love old movies.

And my 4 YO son pronounces girl, "gul." And I'm gonna let him. He's in good company. :)

Mrs. E said...

I love old movies! And that line from the book about her Dad!!! (I'll be hunting that book at the bookstore tonight when I work.) If I know you, the calories on those bars can't be too bad. yum--chocolate and PB! Have a great weekend. Thanks for sharing.

Carmen said...

Did you meet up with Dr. Emmet Brown and Marty McFly? Cos it sounds like you spent some time in different decades this past week. I'll never get sugar sugar outta my head now. Sigh...Love the blouse though.

Phoenix said...

Lovely look and feel to your blog!