Thursday, September 03, 2009

The Post in Which I Have a Conversation with Myself in Front of You

Edit 9.6.09: Hey, Guess what? They liked my meme! Thanks, Barbara!



You all did a FANTASTIC job on this meme yesterday! If you'd still like to hitch a ride on the doughnut wagon, leave a comment!

Here are my answers, as promised.



1. When you go to Wowmart, what one thing do you get every single time, besides a funky-wheeled squeaking cart full of frustration?

It used to be bottles of water, but last week I bought a water filter and some snazzy aluminum bottles because I got tired of
A) Paying extra for water
B) Feeling guilty about my "plastic environmental footprint." [And the bottles crowded up the trash. Not that crowding the trash is more important than the environment. Of course not.]
C) I was afraid I was providing cancer-making molecules in the plastic to my daughter.

Now I just buy my protein bars every time I go. Guess what. Today? NONE of the peanut butter ones, and ONE box left of the total chocolate. And then I couldn't find my car. Typical Wowmart trip.

2. What is something that people are currently "into" that you just don't get or appreciate?

A) Bermuda shorts
B) Twitter
C) Wine
D) Action movies

3. What is something that really hoists your sail that other people might feel "ho-hum" about?

A) A certain little dog named "Zoe." Men especially zone out when I mention her. But that's OK because I zone out when men talk, period. Unless it's Clinton Kelly or my pastor. Or the two guys who read this blog. HI, GUYS.
B) Running.
C) 70s music. Right now on the playlist: Hall and Oates "I Can't Go for That" Gotta love the "no can do" in the background. Oh that Oates. He was such a ... background singer.

4. Favorite song to sing in the shower or car?

Songs by Aaron Shust and WHAM! How's THAT for random.

5. A really great salad must have this ingredient:

Nuts and feta cheese

6. Advice in a nutshell to new bloggers (one or two sentences):

I used to have this in the header of my blog when I began: "Don't write like you went to college" [Alice Kahn]. That is, in my opinion, if you're not writing a formal public or scholarly thing, write the way you speak, assuming you have at least an average grasp of grammar and usage rules. You've got to be conversational in your personal blog. You've got to be you. How else can I say this? Who can articulate this imperative point? SAMMY!



7. What was the alternate name that your parents almost named you? Do you wish they had chosen it instead of the one they gave you?

Here's a question that as far as I know, only one of you answered in the manner I was thinking of; that is, an alternate female name, if you are female. Male, if you are male. HI GUYS!

I was almost Beth Ann, which is a fine name, unless you're last name is "Batt."

"Beth Ann Batt" is the flattest, most staccato name ever. Beth Batt, BethBattBethBatt. [Spell check just blew up.] So Linda is OK, even though I mis-type it all the time.

8. What in your life are you waiting for?

My friends to arrive in an hour for a wild S'mores party in the backyard. All my rowdy friends are comin' over tonight. Rowdy church women.

9. You get a package in the mail. What is it, and who is it from?

Why, it's from my publisher, of course, and it's my book! (Ref: Julia Child in movie.) Of course, I haven't written a book yet, but you know.

10. Today--what song represents you?

Another old one: "All I Need is a Miracle" by Mike and the Mechanics, 1986.
"Are You Reelin' in the Years," Steely Dan, 1973.

11. What is one thing that blogging has taught you about yourself?

That I do not want to disappoint readers.
That I am compelled to write. I'm writin' even if you're not readin'.
That it's OK to loosen up a little in writing. I like funny.
How to write more succinctly, believe it or not.
And ... I gotta be me.

12. How are you going to (or how did you) choose the clothes you're wearing today? What do they say about you in general or specifically how you're feeling today?
To work, I wore a black knit knee-length A-line swingy skirt, a coral blouse and these shoes:
which are my "happy shoes." I think you can see I was going for happy today.

For the S'mores party, I'm wearing the same coral top and olive shorts, gray flip flops. This outfit says, "Pass the marshmallows."

32 comments:

Linda Vujnov said...

Love with a capital "L" feta and nuts on my ensalada. That's spanish for salad. I worked in a restaurant far too long.
Not a S'mores fan...sorry, but do love Steely Dan too.

"Rachel" said...

LOVE your shoes!

Thanks for starting such a fun meme!

Abiding Branch said...

You do such an awesome job of jogging my memory! BTW, I did go jogging finally and my heel is killing me. Could be the dreaded PF!! Yikes I am getting old. :-)
Chel

Becky said...

I love you... huh... ya I said it.

:-p

Loved your advice and your "happy" outfit and your trip to Wowmart.

I forgot all about twitter... don't get that.

And thats marshmEllows. lol

Heckety said...

I saw this meme yesterday at Melanie's and jogged on over to read loads more, so now I've joined in today. Yeah, yeah, day late, I know! And finally I read your own answers. It was fun! Thank you!

Mocha with Linda said...

I was late to the party, so I'll comment today that my meme is here.

Dena said...

Oh yea, Twitter...I don't get that either. I may have to go back and edit my list.

Love your advice about writing. And I say "write that book girl"!

Those shoes are adorable!!

Thanks for doing this Lid. :)

The Bug said...

Oh Mike & the Mechanics - I LOVED that video. I decided that I was that girl. Sigh.

Lauren said...

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit yesterday! You left such sweet words of encouragement! :) I am absolutely 100% in love with your shoes!! I love polka dots!!!!!

for the record - I am wearing bright pink today because I was feeling happy this morning too!! :P

Lois Lane II said...

Love it all! And you can talk about Zoe all you want...and I'll listen as if she's an actual person because I have one of those sweet pups (well, she's a Chihuahua, but she's a sweet pup), too... ;)

Mocha with Linda said...

I'm back. Had to get my coffee & cereal. . . .

Loved your answers. I cracked up when I saw you like nuts on a salad.

In regards to 3A - what about Jorge?!

And I knew you wanted an alternate female name, but there wasn't one.

Love your shoes. But my plantar fasciitis wouldn't.

Susanne said...

Yes please, pass the marshmallows all the way over here please! Sounds like so much fun.

barbarah said...

I don't see how anyone has time for Twitter who blogs and does Facebook.

I agree with your blogging advice, and I love your happy shoes!

I don't think I'd get aluminum cups because of studies linking aluminum to Alzheimer's. I avoid aluminum cookware for the same reason. But I guess most everything is linked to something that could be bad for you.

Jenny wren's nest said...

Linda, I would love to do this meme, I am still struggling with how to do memes.
Jenny

rootsandrings said...

So I've only been reading your blog for about 3 days but we seem similar. Very cool.

Love feta and nutson a salad... and dried cranberries!

Twitter is dumb.

Can I have a s'more?

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

This was fun!

1) See! I told you!
2) A) Ditto
B) Ditto
C) Ditto
D) Ditto
3)Hall and Oates -- ha ha! How about "She's a Maneater"? Watch out boy, she'll chew you up...
6) Sammy! Rock on!
7) My parents didn't plan on a girl. AT ALL. So they thought of my name AFTER I was born. :-/
But Beth Batt?! LOL Hilarious!
9) I want first dibs on that book. You know, after family, and like you write it and all.
12) Cutest shoes in a long time. Cute cute CUTE!

Abiding Branch said...

Lid, you may call me Rashida!!
Chel

Brandie said...

I did it today, a day late and a dollar short, right? I didn't post the picture with it though, I couldn't figure it out and then I got aggravated and then I quit. I'm a quitter like that!

Lois E. Lane said...

I had to read #3 carefully because I wasn't sure if "hosting one's sail" meant happy or angry :)

Lois E. Lane said...

P.S. I'm gonna do this on my blog! Ode to Linda...

Kim said...

S'mores sound SO GOOD. Can't get graham crackers here and am looking for a good alternative. Can't imagine going THREE YEARS WITHOUT S'MORES. ¡Qúe cosa!

For now, eat one or forty on my behalf please :-)

Kim said...

Oops, got so caught up thinkin' 'bout s'mores that I forgot to answer your question. We heard of only one fatality in the fires. Which, considering the vastness of it is a miracle I think! PTL!

Linda said...

I did this but mine is kind of boring. But I gotta be me!

Melli said...

LOL! This is good! You ask good questions! I'm going to post this on Saturday. (tomorrow is taken with FFF!) I LOVE what your s'mores outfit says! And I love your polka dot shoes too! I already answered SOME of these - and we agreed on the advice about blogging. The rest will just be up ... on Saturday!

Judd Corizan said...

Hi Linda-
Barbara insisted and we agreed to give you full credit for The Random Dozen Meme. It's so coll because in all these years doing this, we seldom discover first generation memes. Thanks for the meme!

Judd

Quilldancer said...

I loved your meme. I am rarely compelled to participate in memes, but this one was articulate and fun, so I have posted it. AND, I understand that Sunday Stealing has stolen it. Congratulations, you're famous! (LOL! I just saw the comment above this box!)

quilldancer.com

notsuzyhomemaker said...

Great meme! I love your shoes and I think a s'mores party sounds fabulous! Happy Sunday!

The Gal Herself said...

So you're the one we stole from this Sunday! Love your answers, especially that the men you listen to closely are your pastor and Clinton Kelly. Seems very wise to me.

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

We don't usually meet the author of a meme we steal. This was very cool that we get to see your answers to it! Great job. If you read mine, keep in mind I am nuts...

easternsparkle said...

Great Meme - nice to have a real grown up theme this week!! Keep it up!

alwaysevolving said...

Why don't you like bermuda shorts? Beth Ann Batt would've been hilarious.

Thanks for stopping by my place

Jenni said...

Enjoyed reading your answers. Did the meme over at my place; thank you for the fun diversion!

http://onething.beautifulheritage.com/?p=3657