Thursday, October 15, 2009

I'm Eating Smarties as I Answer the Random Dozen



Maybe they will help me be clever. Or maybe not, since it took three tries to upload the picture.



Why do you guys keep telling me that these questions are tough?! I just think some require a little more thought and that's what makes this meme (I hope) interesting. But these aren't really tough. "Tough" is deciding the old "who would you throw over the side of the lifeboat, Grandma or Grandpa?" question. So I'm NOT tough! I'm not! [Read that paragraph as if I'm on the courtroom witness stand with Perry Mason grilling me. You are Perry Mason.]

1. I've always wondered why we were taught both printing and cursive. Do you prefer to print or write cursive? (Keyboard is not a choice.)

This question is too tough!

I prefer to print even though it takes longer because I print better than I write. Jorge and the kids prefer printing, too. It's funny that the older I get, the more my cursive looks like my parents'. And it's funny how strained writing is now since I'm so used to the keyboard.


2. Are you a dreamer or a realist?

Very much the realist. I think I forgot how to dream. I also believe that's why I don't write more for publication. I know what the stats are for actually having a book published, and I know the stats on how few of those published books sell, and I know how little money authors make from those few books that are sold, and I know that buying all the latest exercise equipment from infomercials won't magically slim me down, and I know Nick Arrojo is never going to do my hair.

3. Billy Joel or Elton John?

This was a trick question for me. That is, for me, this is like asking, "Would rather tear a fingernail on your duvet to the quick or would you rather have the screen door scrape the back of your ankle as you pass through?" But since I don't want to be a rule breaker, I will say Billy Joel, but only for the songs "The Longest Time" and "Uptown Girl." I don't care for the musical stylings of either.

4. What is the scariest movie you've ever seen? Not just horror flicks but also ones where the tension or suspense is killer, for example, Flightplan (2005): A bereaved woman and her daughter are flying home from Berlin to America. At 30,000 feet the child vanishes and nobody admits she was ever on that plan.

Let me say that I HATE scary movies.

John 3:19: This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.


Just making sure you know I love the Light. End of sermon.

When I was a teenager, somehow I ended up in the theater to see Magic, which I'm sure I didn't realize was a scary movie because I didn't do scary movies. As goofy as this pic is goes the story: the ventriloquist's dummy comes to life. It stars Anthony Hopkins, who, of course, also did Silence of the Lambs, which I inexplicably watched one time. DUMB idea.

But this might be the scariest I've seen because of this scene from the movie Carrie, when her hand reaches out of the grave in the last scene. The ones with dark spiritual overtones like this movie are the worst. **Shiver**

5. Now what is the scariest real-life moment you've had?

When Katie was 3, she darted from my side (first and only time) and ran into open elevator doors on the 2nd floor of a department store. They closed, and I panicked! I asked the clerk to watch Jordan (in stroller) and I ran down the escalator to meet the elevator at the bottom, but by the time I got there, she was on her way back up. I ran back up, and there she was.

When Kristin was a toddler, she (first and only time) went out of the house and was gone for quite a while. I called and called inside and out, and with every second that ticked by, I became more and more panicked. I was tearing through the house yelling her name when I passed the front glass door, and she was standing there looking in. I almost died of a heart attack because traffic is terrible on our street. I held her and cried and cried.

And I've been pretty scared when they're out driving late at night. You cannot know this sheer terror until your child is out and you let your imagine run. Horrible, sickeningly horrible.

6. What word do you misspell without fail?

Connoisseur and Cincinnati. Every. Single. Time.

7. Name something you like to do but are not really talented or good at?

Easiest question so far: running.

8. Do you get your emotional/mental batteries recharged by being around people or by having alone time?

I'm pretty much an introvert. I like people, but I have to have alone time to get refreshed mentally and emotionally so that I can be my best when I'm with people again. It's another reason I like running; it's a solitary sport. Just God and me. And the squirrels and roadkill.

9. Have you ever been on TV?

Yes, a few years ago I was shopping in a carpet store and they just happened to be shooting a commercial that day. Only a few people recognized me while it played, but it was on all the time. To this day, I fight the Paparazzi every morning when I leave for work. But I don't complain like Angelina or Sean Penn. This is just my lot in life.

10. Apple or pumpkin pie? (Don't be greedy.)

If it's done well, apple.

11. How many magazine subscriptions do you have?

One: World Magazine, and it is amazing. Please check into it because you will not be disappointed.

12. What lesson do you have to keep re-learning?

I had a whole list, and then I stepped away from the computer and *poof* the list was gone. So I guess I need to re-learn how to upload pictures and save posts over and over.

Other:

That I shouldn't be too open about personal stuff with just anyone.
That there will always be someone who doesn't know who Hall and Oates is.
That most people don't care how clean my house is or isn't.
That I will indeed regret one more cookie.
That I should use one password so that I don't have to keep relearning passwords.
That when I pull up on the automatic lock on my car, the windows go down. (What genius wired it that way?)
That I can't multi-task as well as other women.
How much spaghetti to drop in the water to feed X number of people.
That I should go to the bathroom one more time before I leave the house.

I hope you enjoyed RD #7! I'll be around to read ya!

30 comments:

barbarah said...

I always end up making too much spaghetti for the sauce, even though I tell myself to make less next time.

Those were indeed scary moments! I almost felt panicky just reading them.

Abiding Branch said...

Those were great! I am with you on the Light! I wanna be in the Light cuz He's in the Light!!! oh yes!

And according to your #2 I guess I am more of a realist than I thought. But the dreamer overtakes me and I press on in my la-la land!! lol

I can get way too open and it scares people! hmmm go figure!

Well I'm signing off, your little rule breaker (cuz just one is too hard like lays potato chips) and once we blog we just can't stop (pringles) ok I'm really done now! lol
Chel

H-Mama said...

Great questions, Linda! {High 5!}

Carrie! Yes. Someone took me with them to see that when I was only but a tot. ;) That stayed with me for years!

Being separated from your baby is frightening. No doubt about it.

Wished I had read your list before I ate one. more. cookie. while I was watching Biggest Loser... getting upset with Tracy. ;) Okay, so maybe it was more than one... at least they were the healthy version, right?

Oh... and the password lesson, too. It would have saved so many reminder emails to myself.

Betty said...

hahaha, your Nr. 12 cracks me up!! I can say "me too" to almost all of those and everybody else´s. That´s scary!
And to your scary moment: I totally know what you mean, about having the kids out late!! I guess now that they are moved out, there is truth to the saying "what you don´t know, won´t hurt you". I just have to learn to trust God will be with them now....

Kim said...

It cracks me up that you seem as surprised by the questions as we are :-) Your answers are always a hoot. #2 and #3 had me giggling. #4 made me glad I quit watching scary movies after seeing The Exorcist, even though my best friend in high school INSISTED on re-telling me the entire movie after she'd seen Carrie. Just hearing about it gave me nightmares! World magazine is excellent, I agree. #12 is having the opposite affect on me -- just reading "That I will indeed regret one more cookie" makes me want to go grab a No Bake (made another batch the other day; now that I've got the recipe down pat I will be making them over and over and over...) and scarf it down. *sigh* the power of suggestion...

bensrib said...

Oh! I forgot about Carrie! Definitely a scary one that I shouldn't have seen.

noexcuses said...

I'm right there with you about the kids. It only takes a second or two for them to disappear, and the panic deep in your gut is excruciating! One of mine was lost at the beach for 15 minutes... the longest day in my life!

Thanks for sharing your answers!

sara said...

I laughed when you said you run alone with the roadkill.....having lived in IN, I think I have never seen more roadkill anywhere else!

Tabi said...

AGHH Spaghetti!! It's so annoying, I do the same thing every single time...always make way to much!

skoots1mom said...

go pottie before reading the rest of the comments...
jes thought i'd help u by reminding u again :D
you crack me up...

Greg C said...

Now I took you for more of a dreamer. Who knew. Keep running you will get hooked. I jumped out of my skin at that scene from Carrie. Great answers but you have an advantage. You get to write the questions.

Susanne said...

What is up with that kind of wiring in cars? So confusing.

Those candies at the top are called Rockets here in Canada. Smarties are a whole other thing here. They are more like M&M's with a yummier chocolate center. So there, maybe you were eating the wrong "Smarties" to begin with.

I would have been hysterical with that "losing your child" incident. And I'm with you on the fighting your imagination when you're kids are out driving late at night. Or on the highway for me. When my girl drove the 7 1/2 drive home in the summer I was a nervous wreck.

Mocha with Linda said...

I just wrote a lovely comment, clicked preview, and then CLOSED THE WINDOW instead of clicking Publish. Arrgghh!!

But I loved your answers. And the rest of what I said shall remain a mystery 'cause it's time to dry my hair and take the kids to school.

Dena said...

I never saw Carrie, but Silence of the Lambs made my list. creepy!!

Having your child disappear (even if just a few seconds) is very terrifying. Thankfully, I've only had it happen once.

Thankfully, we don't have any Connoisseurs from Cincinnati around here, so I don't have to worry about ever spelling those words (and I can copy/paste from your list to point that out). :)

Melli said...

I really have learned this week HOW BLESSED I am with how few scary moments I've had in my life! And that other people's scary moments are actually FAR scarier than mine!

MAGIC! That was the one! My husband talked me into watching that movie one night when we were first married -- that was the first scary movie I had ever seen - and I sO wanted it to be the LAST!!! That DUMMY scared the life outta me! I spent the night hiding behind my husband and NOT watching most of it! I had forgotten the name of the movie...

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

I'm with you on spaghetti. I always cook WAY too much, but I never cook enough rice.
Thanks for the Dozen!

Amy said...

It is amazing how many of our scary moments involve the most important thing to us...our kids. The feeling you feel in that moment when you think they are in danger is life changing. It makes me think of all those parents who really end up losing their children. Takes my breath away sometimes.

Thanks for your answers
Amy

The Bug said...

You know, that's a great idea about the passwords, but my company makes me change it every 30 days & I can't use the same 5 previous passwords. AND they have to be hard - at least one upper case letter, one lower case letter, one number, & one "special" character. Hmmm, next time I'm going to use L1nd@!

I always remember to go to the bathroom - I have to go every 30 minutes anyway (SLIGHT exhaggeration - which I'm pretty sure isn't spelled correctly).

I work in Cincinnati so thank GOODNESS I learned how to spell it!

geetabean said...

Those were some good questions. The Elton John/Billy Joel one was the hardest for me! :)

Jewel said...

I REALLY liked your answer(s) to what lessons you keep needing to learn over. Well, except for the Hall and Oates because I don't remember them. :-0
Again, thanks so much for doing this meme for all of us, Linda! :-)

Jewel said...

Oh, and I've posted my random 12 a day late! Yesterday was just crazy! :-)

Paula (SweetPea) said...

Love your last answer particularly about: bathroom one more time, amount of spaghetti, one more cookie, and then of course this REALLY got me to thinking: That I shouldn't be too open about personal stuff with just anyone.

Rachel @ Future Pastor's Wife said...

Wow, you pulled out all the stops with the Billy Joel & Elton John comparison. I was cringing thinking about the screen door one.

Jean said...

I'm getting mine linked up soon, I'm still stewing over lessons I keep needing to relearn..the list could go on for days.
I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one that hates to spell Cincinnati. Good thing I don't live there. Nothing against the people of Cincinnati, I'm sure their lovely.

Sarah said...

So, do you write/type/spell the words "Consdifsojdalksder" and "Cincirntlskati" often?

;)

Also, I agree, totally, with the scary movie verse...I never thought of that one. I just think of the verse "Love doesn't rejoice in iniquity." And much of any horror movie contains a high dose of iniquity...

Also, the Hall & Oates reference...hilarious. :) Well, now I'm not that "someone" who doesn't know. Our Billy Joel/Elton John answers are practically opposite...haha. It's so fun getting know people this way!

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

Wow - I was surprised we picked the same scary movie.

I can't believe you don't like Billy Joel or Elton John - who knew?

And while I possibly SHOULD regret one more cookie, I rarely do!

My son-in-law thinks I trained my daughter TOO well to go to the bathroom before leaving the house, etc. since, he says, she'll go before they leave even if they've only been there 5 minutes...
Needless to say I don't need to re-learn that one.

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

I fondly refer to those times when I laps into my horrifying imaginary what if's "My Lifetime Movie Moment"s" when the car explodes, you find out your child has been picked up by an escaped mental patients while hitch-hiking, been sold into slavery in southeast Asia, the life or death ICU bedside vigils...and then they come home ignore you, glare at you for being concerned and life returns to normal until the next time they leave again.

Robin

Susan said...

Great answers, as usual, Linda! I know that the scariest moments can be while the kids are out driving. Yes, your mind can play terrible terrible tricks on you!

Have a great weekend.

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

So your answer about Elton & Billy cracked.me.up. I think I'd rather tear a fingernail off :)
And good verse about horror movies....it is true. And I agree with Sarah, love does not rejoice in iniquity, but truth...that one is a little harder. But whatever things are good and lovely is not horror movies...
So do you write these questions or do you find them somewhere?? Great stuff :)

Amy@My Front Porch said...

I've been too busy to participate lately but I always like reading your answers :)

I feel the exact same way about scary movies. I simply cannot handle them, they let my mind wander from what is good and true. I saw Carrie on TV and didn't realize it was a scary movie until the scene at the Prom where she goes crazy and I almost cried at the scene with her mom, the whole thing just made me sick to my stomach!

And may I say that I am impressed that you find occasion to use a word like Connoisseur. I've never misspelled it because I don't believe I've ever used it in a sentence :)