Thursday, October 22, 2009

My Swipe at the Random Dozen #8

In my post title, I accidentally typed, "the Random Doze." Gee, I hope it's never that boring.


1. Candy corn: Your thoughts?

I might grab a handful because my hand is attracted to empty calories like dog hair to Mamaw's velour jogging suit, but I'd rather have something ... Reese Cup-ier.

2. Briefly, what was the first conversation you ever had with your spouse? (or best friend, if you're not married.) (Or someone significant, like your librarian.)

I remember the first thing that crazy librarian ever said to me. HA. Joking.

Very first conversation with my husband was in 9th grade English class. But no, we weren't married then. I was a smart girl; I waited until I got my driver's license and then we got hitched. HA. Joking.

I was a cheerleader, and Jorge was a football player. It was a game day. When the bell rang to end class, he walked up the aisle we were sitting in, and as I stood to leave, he whispered, "I like your outfit."

And I liked that overture very much.

"Ooh la la," as my sister-in-law would say. But she says that about everything.

Cue Sade: "Smooth Operator ... smooooooth oppa ray tah-uh ....."

We didn't date until college, though. But we have known each other since 9th grade.


3. Could you ever become a vegetarian?

Not only could I, but I'm planning to as soon as Kristin becomes a college student. She is an enthusiastic carnivore, and it's just too hard to prepare two different meals if a person doesn't have to.

It's pushing it for me to prepare one, as it is. I mean, can you imagine having to fix a bowl of cereal AND a bologna sandwich?! What am I, Ina Garten?


I just don't like the texture and flavor of most meat. If it's a hamburger barbecued to a crisp, I like it.

4. Have you ever dressed up your pet in a costume?

Oh, Lid! Was this a set up?! Yes, yes it was! Here she is as a reindeer, as "Eve," and as other cutenesses.













5. Name something about childhood that you miss (like Clark Bars, Teaberry Gum, Malibu Barbie, cracking fake eggs on people's heads with your fist and "It's the Great Pumpkin" airing only once a year).

Malibu Barbie (How did I know I would say that?)
Playing with my cousin, Pam
Jiffy Pop
Getting letters from my cousins in California
Learning to cartwheel
Giant Sweetarts that weren't chewy like they are now but just regular
All of the seasonal shows like Rudolph being an annual "event"
Vacation Bible school


6. Have you ever won a trophy? If not, what do you deserve a trophy for?

6th grade. MVP Volleyball. 'Nough said.

7. When do you think is the appropriate time to begin playing Christmas music each year?

I also posed this question on Facebook, and almost hands-down, the answer is the day after Thanksgiving. I myself start wanting to listen in October when it starts to cool. I don't think I lose Thanksgiving in the mix, and I usually play it when I'm by myself or so quietly at my desk that no one but I can hear it.

AMYGRANT*AMYGRANT*CALLME*AMYGRANT*AMYGRANT


8. What's your favorite board game?

Not a big fan, but I guess Scrabble. Outburst isn't a board game, but I KILL at Outburst.

9. How do you feel about surprises (receiving, not giving)?

I feel uneasy about them. My threshold for spontaneity and embarrassment is low. Finding the gas tank near empty on any given morning is a traumatic surprise.

10. Is it easy for you to say, "I'm sorry?"

Yes. And wow, there were some thoughtful, vulnerable answers to this question!

11. What is your favorite candle scent?

This is hard to say because I've begun to suspect I'm allergic. They are giving me headaches like I'm traveling behind a diesel truck. I used to love gardenia, done right, not cheaply. I probably like the autumnal baking ones, too.

12. October is traditionally "open house" time in public schools. If you had a literal open house in your home (like a reception) what light snacks would you serve visitors and what would you show them (as in art projects, graded papers) that would uniquely represent you?

OK, These are not necessarily wonderful, unique things. These are the things that would represent me.

No bake chocolate oatmeal cookies
Caramel Apple Spice Cider and Coffee
Hall and Oates choral concert in the living room next to the piano
Scrapbook filled with my newspaper column clippings
Exercise equipment
Running clothes
Zoe
Bible
2nd Cup Screen Saver
Remote control


I hope you enjoyed week 8 and will be back for 9. Also, remember, if you're participating in the Fall Into Flavor meme, that will be this MONDAY. Have that recipe ready to post and link!

"No need to ask--he's a smooth operator .... smoooooth operator ...."

29 comments:

H-Mama said...

Great answers, Linda. I'm especially lovin' the 'Eve' pic... original. ;)

Linda said...

I love your answers and the catwalk of Zoe costumes!

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Now I have that song in my head.
Coast to coast
LA to Chicago
Great list this week! Thanks.

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

1st of all......oh my word girl you had me rollin this week! Reese cup-ier?? tooooo hilar.

but gotta admit again dont know Sade either. thought i'd maybe recognize the song....no dice. fun list again this week!!

Quilldancer said...

Zoe is just too cute for words! She stole the whole meme!

Joyce said...

So glad you posted the Sade link because you just know there are people reading your answers and scratching their heads saying, "Who in the world is Sade???"

bensrib said...

I might have to stop reading. I seriously covet the dog. Have you ever known anyone to read your blog just hoping to get a glimpse of Zoe?

sara said...

ok you win on the dog costumes! cute!

really, Amy hasn't called you yet?!!! I was just wondering about that the other day!

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

My thoughts can be summed up in the words of Aunt Voula in My Big Fat Greek Wedding "What do you mean, you don't eat no meat? ... That's okay. I'll make lamb."

You're to funny girlfriend!

R

Mocha with Linda said...

We're all gonna dump Amy for Bambi if she doesn't call you!

That video froze at a rather, um, interesting point! I'm not gonna listen 'cause you already got the song on my brain - or at least the chorus!

Kristin is my kind of girl. She can come down here for a steak any time.

The Bug said...

Love Sade - I used to have a cassette tape of one of her albums...

My mom was the same way about meat - didn't like chicken or steak, could eat a tiny bit of ham at a time. About the only meat she would eat was a super well-done hamburger or cube steak.

skoots1mom said...

i'm late...
it's become a constant in my vocabulary these menopausal days...
sorry...
in case you're http://skirkman.blogspot.com/2009/10/random-dozen-8.html...

Melli said...

Well... I have to admit that little Zoe seems to actually ENJOY being dressed up and shown off! But my FIRST thought was "oh that poor puppy..." LOL! She really does look HAPPY about it though! She is the perfect dog for you!

Oooooooh that Jorge! THAT was cute! Yep! Very smooth!

Amy said...

Please tell me that the Hall and Oats Choral Concert album is NOT a joke...Being a choir director I need to get my hands on THAT one!!

I'll forgive you if it is a joke, 'cause good humor is hard to come by and you have to take it when you can.

Great answers!!

Amy

Julie said...

Loved your random dozen, Linda... always do!

Greg C said...

Lid if there was ever any doubt you just sealed the Lid (haha) on this one with #4. You are are OCD over that dog. If that wasn't a setup I don't know what was. :)

Judy said...

I like your sense of humor. :) Thanks for sharing that with all of us.

Paula (SweetPea) said...

Zoe is a typical female...likes to show off new outfits.

The Eve costume is just too much...Hilarious!

I know what you mean about being surprised on the gas tank. The last time it was close to empty I had no idea...driving down the road and the yellowish orange light comes on. I literally said to myself "what? already".

Remote control? Huh?

I was thinking last night about a possible question for your meme. I know it's your meme but if I had a meme I'd include this but since I don't I'd merely put it in your thinking cap.
What's the craziest thing you've ever been doing and texted during it? I only thought of this b/c I was about to try to text during my walking video but I didn't.

Kim said...

I laughed out loud at #1 answer; loved the comparison to Memaw's velour jogging suit.

How cool that you've known each other so long! I would have loved knowing Ivan in high school :-)

Espec. liked Zoe as Eve. lol

Good subliminal message tucked in there. Hope it works! :-)

All your answers were fun. This is a great meme! Thanks!

Sarah said...

Hahaha! My favorite Zoe costume HAS TO BE Eve...hilar!

Lori at The Davidson Den said...

Eve.
Bwwwaaaa-haaaaa-haaaaaaaa!!! (That is hilarious.)

Christmas music.
The very FIRST day the air outside has a nip to it, my husband looks at me and says, "I think it's time to get out the Burl Ives." Seriously. EVERY year.

(Haven't been here in a while. Busy. I've missed you!!)

Kelly Combs said...

Love the Zoe pictures, even if it was a set up.

So, um, I'm guessing Amy Grant hasn't called you yet? What's up with that. Didn't you "WIN" that?

Maybe she called and you weren't home. Egads!

You didn't mention Jorge and how he'd feel about the veggies/no meat. So?

Kelly Combs said...

Someone didn't know Sade and Smooth Operator??? Hello, 80's! How I love thee!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Kelly: He's all ready to go veg, too!

Pamela said...

Hey, cuz...I have great memories of Sunday afternoons and playing with all your Barbie stuff. I also loved camping, especially campfire time and roasting marshmallows.

As for Christmas music, I have been listening to it already. Yesterday I picked up a couple of new cds.

Cara and Jenn said...

Hi there! I did your random dozen today...it was fun! I am sure we'll do it again...off to read your answers now!
~Cara
http://forwardmom.blogspot.com/2009/10/random-dozen.html

Cara and Jenn said...

OK read them and HAD to comment again on the "eve" costume that was hysterical and Amy Grant. I have her Xmas cd!! lol
Cara

barbarah said...

Count me as one of the ones who didn't know who Sade was -- even though I lived in the 80s.

Definitely Reese's wins hands down over candy corn and anything unchocolate.

Somehow I knew that Zoe would have costumes. :-) She does look cute in them.

I like Outburst, too.

I think the smell thing is allergy related. I didn't have problems with candles all my life -- that I know of. We didn't have them much at home. But I only noticed a problem with them in the last 10-15 years or so. I used to wear perfume but then had problems with some in college -- same thing, gives me a headache. It's odd that we can develop allergies as we go along -- there are other things that I had no problems with until I hit my 40s, then started having allergic reactions (penicillin and sulfa).

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Joking about the choral concert. It's just that at my kids' open houses, they always had the choir sing.