Monday, November 09, 2009

Fall Into Flavor Week #4-One Week Left!



I can hear her now: "Look at this. Mmm--MM! Sweet Po-tay-ta Cassa-rohl! HAHAAHHA!"

That's my Paula Deen impression in text. Kind of loses something in translation, doesn't it.

Anyway, this is not a PD recipe, but it's so good it would make her launch into that attestation above.

If you've always made candied yams or sweet potatoes one way, you might consider this recipe for Thanksgiving. Then again, your family might shoot you if you've got a traditional recipe that must not be tainted.

So try this at your own risk, but it's the best way I've ever had them, including those of my growing up years. And wait until you see how simple it is!

Ingredients:
40 oz canned yams, mashed
3/4 stick butter or marg.
2 eggs, beaten
1 t. cinnamon
1 c. milk
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 T. cornstarch

Topping:
1 c. crushed cornflakes
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 c. coconut
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. chopped pecans

Directions:
Mix all ingredients for the casserole. Spread in 9 x 13" pan and baked at 400* for 15 mins. or until thickened.
Meanwhile, melt butter over low heat in a saucepan. Mix all topping ingredients, add to butter and mix again.
After the casserole bakes 15 mins, spread topping over and bake another 15-20 minutes. Keep an eye on the topping so that it doesn't burn.

So ... whatcha got cookin' for us this week?

19 comments:

joolzmac said...

Hello Linda

Just dropped in from Australia.
G'day! My daughter was after a recipe for sweet potato with a topping (she was thinking marshmallows) so I might give this one a try. Thank you. Love you to visit me too,

Cheers - Joolz
www.simplyjoolz.blogspot.com

Pamela said...

Sounds good except for the coconut. But I bet I could add extra nuts and cornflakes to make up the difference.

Thanks for the recipe.

Have a GREAT day!

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

I'm up! Not exactly a Fall into Flavor success story but hey I tried anyway!

I have collected so many new recipes, I am making my thanksgiving menu today and I will be trying to decide what family favorites I will make as well as tossing a few new ones in as well.

Have a great week!
Robin

Merrie said...

oooooohhhhhhhh yeah!Sounds like home! I like the cornflakes idea. Haven't tried that one.

Susanne said...

Yummy. I did a pecan and butter topping on my yams this thanksgiving and it was awesome but it didn't have the cornflakes and coconut. I have so got to try this out.

The Bug said...

Mmm - this isn't a casserole - it's pumpkin cobbler (or pumpkin betty, or streusel, or whichever the thing is with fruit & a topping)... Sounds excellent!

H-Mama said...

That looks yummy, Linda! I must go work off the 5 lbs I gained from reading it. ;) Seriously though... yummmmm. Gotta love good comfort food.

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

I have an old fav. recipe for sweet potato casserole that I make every year. My family loves marshmallows on top. I like the nut topping, so I do half and half.

blogschmogme.wordpress.com said...

Okay I'm eating cereal and I'm going for another cup of coffee. Does that count? :)
Jessie at Blog Schmog

Rebekah Doak said...

The coconut sounds really interesting! Thanks for sharing.

SnoWhite said...

oh... yum. :)

skoots1mom said...

i have to include at least ONE grits recipe :D

Mama Belle said...

Sweet potatoes are pretty much a staple down here. I love 'em. The recipe looks delish.

I totally bombed out this week on my dish. I'll try to catch up on the last one. It's been fun.

Kim said...

Our family does have that sweet potato casserole that if I tried to change would lead to a revolt :-) BUT it's almost identical to this except my recipe does not have cornflakes or coconut in the topping. I think everything else is the same. It's really more like dessert than a vegetable. Deeeelicious!

Jewel said...

My recipe is up!! And it is a REALLY good one!! At least my family thinks so! It is definitely not diet food! :-)

Linda said...

I'm not a fan of the yam, but I'm sure if you are, this is a good recipe. ; )

Sarah said...

You know...I've never been a huge fan of Sweet Potato Casserole...but, this looks really good and I'm up for trying it! :)

A Stone Gatherer said...

Oh I could eat the whole thing myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sara said...

I made this for my office Thanksgiving potluck today. Everyone loved it! Thanks for the great recipe.