Thursday, November 05, 2009

I'm Answering the Random Today



1. It's early morning, about 2:00AM, and you're driving home. You come to a red light and sit there. There is no one in sight for miles around. Do you wait it out or run the light?

I confess that I have run it before. If I feel very vulnerable and scared at 2:00AM, I might do it. Otherwise, I am a rule-follower.

2. If you had the chance to re-do the last 24 hours, would you change anything?

Hmmm. Eat less, move more.

3. When you reply to someone's comment on your blog, do you reply in your comments or go to her blog and comment? (Or email her)

This was a set-up question for my own research. I never quite know how to handle responding. How do I know how the commenter will most likely see my reply? If it's more of a sensitive issue than the usual, I like to reply via email, but not everyone has her address on her profile.

On FB, I comment right under their comments because I know they will receive a notice saying that I have added a comment. Leave it to humans who have a less than stellar record of communicating face to face to come up with a way to make communication even more fuzzy!


4. Your favorite Disney movie is:

Robin Hood. Ooo de lolly, ooo de lolly, golly what a day.

5. Do you recycle?

I'm trying. I got some bags and everything. (fail)

6. Games of strategy or games of chance?

Strategic word games. Not Chess or Checkers or Stratego--they're spin-offs of math/logic. WORDS. They're the language I speak.

7. Do you have any recurring dreams?

Yes. Several times a year I dream that I'm with a group of people, usually family, and someone has died, but no one but me seems to comprehend the gravity of the situation. I keep asking people to call 911 or the mortuary, but they just seem to want to sit around leisurely drinking Mint Juleps and fanning themselves. I end up raising my voice, and still they just look at me like, "What's the big deal? We'll get around to it." There have been times when I've had to load the body up in my car and deliver it, and let me tell you, I was not a happy camper.

8. What did you learn from your first real job?

I learned:
Which parts of a chicken are which
That people really do eat livers and gizzards
That restaurants are not clean
That girls who act like friends can be mean
That not everyone treats you like Grandma and Grandpa do
That paychecks are small, very small

As you can see, I have been able to apply many of these lessons to Life, most especially at a picnic when doling out the exact pieces of chicken that people are requesting. I'm the only one who does this with 100% confidence and the intrepidness of an army General. I control the bucket of chicken because I earned that right when I was 16.

9. Do you buy or borrow most books?

Well, I borrow most, but this is a sore subject. I have a love/hate relationship with my library that I'm going to post about someday. Let's just say that right now, my face is probably on the "most wanted" poster behind the Reference Librarian's desk. I may be a library criminal, but it's in the vein of the more noble criminals like Robin Hood or Bonnie Parker of Bonnie and Clyde. I'll spill it--sing like a canary--someday, Mac, when I get the chance. (I watched a Bogart movie this weekend.)

10. What fashion trend of the past did you say you'd never wear again but did?

Flares. I almost got sick to my stomach when they first started to come back in, but when they were no longer trendy for the 2nd time, THEN I jumped on the bandwagon.

As an aside, when I went shopping yesterday, I noticed huge cowl necks are back (70s) and shirts with a metallic thread running through them. In my high school sophomore pic, I have on a cowl neck with a fabric scarf tied in knots at the ends wrapped around my neck. Deja vu.


11. When do you start Christmas shopping?

Why did I bring this up? *Palm-Face* I would say I usually start around November 1, but it's a slow start. The older the kids get, the less fun it is, too. It's not as fun to buy an Ipod as a battery-operated dog that does back flips.

12. Have you ever been so happy that you literally jumped up and down for a few seconds? If so, what was the occasion?

1. The first time I made the cheerleading squad.
2. When Jorge and I knew that he was offered a "real" job after graduation, which meant we could forge ahead with wedding plans.
3. When I won the local bridal sweepstakes contest that year.
4. When Jorge bought me a Camaro.
5. When Clinton Kelly emailed me.
6. When I met a goal weight.
7. When my son's high school soccer team won the sectional.

33 comments:

Angie said...

Clinton Kelly emailed you!!! Is there a post about that one? I'd love to hear the story...do tell.

Judy said...

Clinton Kelly emailed you??????? What about? How cool is that!!

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

CLINTON KELLY E-MAILED YOU?! Did you blog about this!? I neeeeed to hear this story. Neeeeed.
Thanks for another fun dozen!!

6p01127946f41528a4 said...

I like that you are a happy jumper :)

I am going to have to check out Robin Hood...I have seen that one several times today. It must be really good!

-crittyjoy

cat said...

Great answers! cowl necks - gosh no! Not that!

Quilldancer said...

Why don't YOU call 911? I eat chicken livers, and you are the hopper, aren't you?

Deborah said...

hi there

i have taken this quizz too come over and visit my blog

bensrib said...

Clinton Kelly????? Of all the things you said today, THAT's the one I'll remember. I would give my eye teeth to be on WNTW, only for the haircut. Someday I'm going to pay the $400 and have Nick cut my hair.

ps. I did the Random Dozen this week and forgot to link. It's been that kind of week.

Tabi said...

Okay two things, I know I am going to yelled at but

#1 Who is Clinton Kelly

and

#2 What are cowl necks

Now, now...no yelling at me like last time when I didn't know who them Oates people were!! ;)

Pam from alertandorientedx4 said...

Too Funny! The Girl just bought a metallic threaded cowl neck sweater, too! Speaking of Clinton--what do you think is take in on metallic thread, and HAS AMY GRANT CALLED YET?!? Sorry to shout, but inquiring minds want to know...

Mocha with Linda said...

LOL - you got some newbies that don't know your Clinton Kelly story!

Greg C said...

Who is Clinton Kelly? Sorry I am out of the loop obviously.

2Thinks said...

See, I agree with #11, 100%. It isn't as much fun to buy these boring electronic accessories for the too expensive to buy electronics that the kids just have to buy for themselves. I liked buying the flipping dog,too. *sigh*

Hey, about the library- what is it, Lid- you and I, this is 100% true- I have a love/hate relationship with our library, too! I've worked out the post in my head several times, but I'm always afraid the library dragon, who works over there, will read my post. I never want to talk about a real person in a bad way, especially on my blog, or offend anyone who would read my post. So. I don't know if I can blog mine or not.

Thanks for the Dozen. It was fun.

Susanne said...

Robin Hood?! I totally forgot Robin Hood! I absolutely love that one!

You wore a cowl neck with a scarf? wow, you are a courageous fashion soul!

H-Mama said...

An introvert {I remember this from another meme, yes?} that jumps with excitement. Love. it.

Jerralea said...

Ooh, cowl necks, I forgot about those!

You cracked me up when you said: "I control the bucket of chicken because I earned that right when I was 16." I never had a job in food service...maybe I missed out!

And I wish I had said your answer about games. I just put strategic, but I'm like you, it has to be strategic word games. I was raised on Scrabble and Wordfinds.

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

We had very similar answers. I wrote my post but it never got posted. (I'm a bit behind.) I'll join in next week!

Amy@My Front Porch said...

I had all these lovely comments in my head to say about your other answers but they flew right out of my head when I read that CLINTON KELLY emailed you! Dear goodness, I'd like to hear that story.

Lucy Marie said...

This was my first time joining Random Dozen. It was so fun! Thanks for hosting and for giving us your answers.

Melli said...

LOL! Your son had to take the sectional to get a jump? Shoot! I was jumpin' at the end of every win! Some years I did a LOT of jumpin! ... some years... not so much...

Linda said...

I say buy the battery operated dog that does back flips and give your kids the receipt to take it back. Then they can have the cash...which seems to be what every kid wants now. It's a win-win situation!

I LOVED cowl necked sweaters and metallic threads racing through clothes. I'm thrilled! I also know I'm old when I get to see clothing "come back" in fashion. Ugh.

monica said...

This was my first time also joining in and how much fun!! Who is Clinton Kelly? I agreee with the Christmas shopping the older the kids get it's not as much fun, but sometimes easier because I just give money!!

Jewel said...

Robin Hood.. really? Never liked it much.


I'm pretty sure I never get notifications when people comment on my comments.. I think I only get them when people comment on my wall. Hmm...

Your first real job.. I'm surprised you ever took a second job! HA

Rachel @ Future Pastor's Wife said...

YAY for Robin Hood!!!

"Buster? You, sir, have taken my seat." Favorite line from Hiss.

Laura said...

Just found your blog and LOVE it!!! Wanted to say hi!

Paula (SweetPea) said...

I am a die-hard, compulsive recycler. I take cardboard and plastic from work to home. Like things I consume at work, or things someone else has consumed, or things ON TOP of the trash such as a coke bottle. We are soon starting a recycling program at work so no more taking it home.

I really dislike when I comment on a blog and someone comments on my blog about that comment. I would MUCH rather the person just hit reply and send it via email...even if it's not personal. I really don't like comments left on the owner's blog commenting back to my comment. Got it? I just NEVER go back to a blog post a second time and definitely would not go back to the comments. I am not a comment reader, unless of course it's on my own blog. But I rarely read the comments on someone else's blog.

So that was more than you wanted. But if I were posting the random you'd come read my post, so let's just say I've just saved you time in reading a way too long post and from hopping over to my blog to read it. You have it in the lap for your luxury. :-)

I better go see what funny thing you posted on FB.

Paula (SweetPea) said...

Okay I did one thing I said I rarely do. Some comments caught my attention as I was exiting. I see that others asked about cow necks and Clinton Kelly. So, I'll ask also. I think a cow neck is a shirt/sweater like a turtle neck but the neck part is really big, flowy, layery, swoopy, kind of thing, hanging down.

I will come back, IF I REMEMBER, to check your comments to see if you commented here and gave us the answers or I'll ask you on FB then I don't have to remember.

Betty said...

Great answers. Nice to get to know you better!
You do a great job hosting this meme and it´s always fun! I hope you continue!

Rebekah Doak said...

I am going to join the brave souls who have admitted they have no clue regarding Clinton Kelly.

Also, I will add that I think everyone should have a job in food service at some point in their life. It builds character!

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

Fun answers. Seems like you jump up and down often enough that the "move more" part of "eat less, move more" should kind of take care of itself.

RE: Clinton Kelly - clearly you have some newer readers and also a couple of people without cable/satellite!

Sue said...

So was your first job at KFC too? I worked there in high school but only like 2 shifts before they fired me. I hated my manager and actually quit (I think I quit before they fired me!) lol

Ewww... cowl necks are back? I'm having nightmares now!

I love to read your answers to find out where some of the questions come from - hee hee.

Have a great rest of your week!

Kim said...

Finally the computer all to myself :-) Now I can catch up on reading blogs.
Can you blog about your findings to #3? I rarely go back to see if they replied to my comment in their comments. Especially now with sharing a computer, just getting to read a post-plus-comments once is a challenge.
What's with the mint juleps in #7? That's so funny and southern!
I can see where all those chicken skills would come in handy. They could use someone with your knowledge on hand when they butcher the chickens in Uganda. They either don't know, don't care, or both, which parts of the bird are what and just go to hacking away with a ponga. Ensuring an interesting assortment of meat pieces :-)
I have noticed the cowl necks too. Since these days I steer far, far from anything with necks (they interfere with hot flashes, don't you know) I won't be purchasing a cowl neck any time soon.
Fun questions!

barbarah said...

#1 -- that's true, at 2 a.m. I might be more inclined to run it because I wouldn't like sitting out there by myself.

#2 -- that's me every day.

#5 -- me, too.

#7 -- odd dream!!

#11 -- I agree. I miss buying toys. I can't buy too early for my guys because some new latest geeky thing will come out before Christmas.

#12 -- you've had lots of reasons to jump for joy! I do remember the Clinton e-mails.