Wednesday, January 06, 2010

It's the Official First Random Dozen of 2010



1. On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being a cranky-baby-hissy-fitter, how much of a complainer are you?

It turns out, not so much. Or I'm completely oblivious to my own complaining. I haven't had to switch the bracelet that much. I did get all bent out of shape in a return line at Old Navy yesterday, but no one could tell but me and God. BUT--and this is crucial--I DID say, "What are you doing?" to myself in an accusatory tone, and then I stopped. So on a scale from 1-10, I'm giving myself four stars.

2. When someone else is talking, do you listen, or are you thinking about what you're going to say in response?

Honestly, I spend a lot of my listening time trying to 1) hear correctly (I have had my hearing tested). 2) comprehend what the person is saying, because I don't have the same kind of intuition that most women have. So don't insinuate things to me because I might nod my head but not have a clue. And then I'll have to play catch up while you're talking.

3. I just deleted 1062 messages from my email account. Do you have any plans for a clean sweep this month--of anything?

I just cleaned out my files at work; that felt good. But I have no plans for home clean sweeping as yet. I would like to garage to be magically clean, though.

And now, here are some brilliant questions from a gal named Angie at Angie's Ad Lib who graciously offered to let me borrow her brain. Please go over and see Angie because it was so nice of her to help me out. Thank you so much, Angie!

4. Tell us about your perfume. Was it a gift? What does it remind you of? Do you have a signature scent?

Well, I've almost given up on scents. The older I get, the more sensitive I get to fumes, both "per" and non "per," as in diesel. However, I do like to smell coconut, and I have a shower foam right now from Bath and Body Works that I enjoy.

5. What is your best organizing tip for the new year?

Don't have your adult children come home to roost.

6. What is your favorite comic strip?

Well, Garfield for personal reasons (someone near and dear to me is an employee of the real actual Garfield in human form). But, back in the 80s I loved Bloom County.

7. Do you sleep with a fluffy or flat pillow?

Fluffy. Cold side only, please.

8. What color is your kitchen? Why did you choose that color?

Well, my blogger friends helped choose my wallpaper. The kitchen is black and white with a touch of spring green and red. Wowsers.

9. What’s the most interesting bumper sticker you’ve seen?

I kept a picture of it for a long time because I was going to do a post about it, but I never got around to it. I was jogging through a parking lot and saw a car window sticker that encouraged the reader to vote for a specific candidate. Problem was, the owner had put it on backwards, so that passersby couldn't read it. Only the people in the car could read it quickly. So maybe he just needed a constant reminder of who he intended to vote for.

10. Do you prefer an expensive writing tool or whatever is lying around? (Are you a Montblanc or a Papermate?)

Papermate. Just like this one and not because I'm cheap but because of the way it fits my hand and how smooth it is on the outside and how smoothly it writes.



11. What chore doesn’t feel like a chore – you just enjoy it (at least most of the time)?

Seriously, I like to vacuum. That's it, though. It's the ooooonly one.

12. If your parents often repeated themselves, what is something one of them said more than once?

I imagined a low rumble starting across bloggyland as readers digested this question. We're all rolling our eyes, right?

OK:

1. "Don't go outside with wet hair or let your feet get cold; you will catch a head cold."
2. "Be careful." This is definitely the most oft-repeated phrase from both of my parents. They still call it out as I'm leaving their house. I live across a small town, so there's lots of opportunity for a 47 year-old woman like me to get into all kinds of trouble on the way home, especially if she stops for eggs and bread at that juke joint they call Wowmart.

OK, let's see whatcha got!




30 comments:

Jewel said...

I'm reading this thinking... "It's only Tuesday!" But no.. it's 12:01. Gracious girl! You're ON IT!

Mel said...

love the list!!! one day i am joining you on this one

Quilldancer said...

I got a bit of a kick out of #2, you listen and #3, you deleted all your email. Of course even though I chuckled at what sounds like an incongruity, I am certain you didn't delete anything vital.

#5 -- you could try my method. That might seriously motivate your grown kids to move. ;)

I hope you're feeling less stressed and stretched. I have missed your visits these last 4 weeks.

Cathy said...

Good answers. Really, you like to vacuum? Wow.

Greg C said...

Your number 9 cracked me up. I can believe that.

Jewel said...

One of my new year's resolutions was to do this meme ON TIME! :-) AND I did it!
Actually, I posted it last night before I went to bed!
Anywayyyy....loved reading your answers, Linda, and you mentioned liking the smell of coconut: I have a lip balm that is tropical flavor and I love the coconut in it, so I may have to browse around B&BW the next time I'm in there and see what they have! :-)
Thanks for doing the questions!!! :-) Oh, and thanks to you, too, Angie!!!

Tabi said...

Oh man! Oh could I possibly of forgotten the "be carefel, be safe, call me when you get home" I am sure though it will be the same thing I do to my children when they get older!

Melli said...

ROFL! Oh I absolutely agree with number 5! Or Alzheimer mils either!!!

Your kitchen sounds really pretty. You once asked to see my mermaid wall in my kitchen -- it's up for your viewing pleasure today!

sara said...

I'm with you on the hearing! had mine checked a few years ago and I was on the very low side of normal..ugh!

ha ha ha...don't have your adult children come home to roost....so true!!

I had totally forgotten about bloom county.

Holly Solomon Barrett said...

Loved your answer to #5 and totally agree!!!

Another Suburban Mom said...

I am up and I love the wet head. My mom never told me it would give me a cold though, she told me the truth that it would give me split ends and then if I had split end issues, she would be forced to get me an unflattering pixie cut.

Lets just say, I never went out with that wet head.

CC said...

I love visiting your blog......you make me smile. Your personality sounds a little like my own, and I don't know about you, but I crack myself up A LOT!!!! Blessings...CC

barbarah said...

I did tell my son once that I didn't say, "Be careful" as he was leaving because I thought he wouldn't be -- it was just one of those mom things. :-)

That's odd about the backward bumper sticker. Maybe it was a joke.

I wonder if one of the 1062 e-mail messages you deleted was mine with ideas for questions for the random dozen. :-)

Mocha with Linda said...

Your list cracks me up. And yeah, I forgot about the warnings my mom always gave about catching cold. She wore a head scarf for years and tried to get us to, convinced that if her ears weren't covered she/we would get sick.

P.S. Would you come vacuum for me?

Sara said...

As always you answers are so enjoyable to read. HA, we have the same blog design. How CUTE we're twins. Or at least until my new design gets finished. I've decided to splurge and go custom. Hope you don't mind us "dressing alike"

Sue said...

Way to go on the non-complaining. Very good ;-)

My mom ALWAYS said, even into my adult years, "Drive carefully" when I'd be leaving to go anywhere to which I would always respond, "No Mom. I'm going to drive as wrecklessly as possible!" She wasn't impressed with my sass.

My answers are up & Happy New Year. Thanks for doing the RD again this year! :-D

Abi said...

I had to double take. this is exact template I'm using on my blog. Great minds. No wonder we click.
Happy day to you.

The Bug said...

I love love LOVED Bloom County! Back in the mid 80s I had a license plate that read "OPUSLUST" - which of course most people thought meant I was a music major LOL. When I got married my friends thought they were super cute & put shaving cream over the OPUS part. Hardy-har-har...

I HATE to vacuum - really, it's pathological. Sigh.

Kim said...

#5 ROFL!
Although, you know the only way to successfully avoid that situation is to move -- overseas. hahahahaha

Seriously, we're LOVIN' having our daughter here for an extended visit but she was limited to what she could bring in two suitcases :-)

Missy B. said...

This sounded like so much fun, I just had to join in! I am so glad that I found your blog - I love it! I have a 5 lb. long hair Chihuahua and she is my baby....your Yorkie is adorable.

Faith said...

Loved this today! Great answers to great questions! and you can feel free to fly to NY anytime and vacuum for me :)

Lazy Daisy said...

Great questions this week...good job on answering them too. Loved your posts about gratitude also. Visiting your blog is always like a bit of sunshine. Thanks.

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

I did not have time to link up this morning, but I'm up!

Happy New Year and Random Dozen
Robin

Together We Save said...

Wonderful answers!!

kcinnova said...

One of the best things I ever learned from that big purple dinosaur, Barney, is that when someone says "Be Careful!" to you, they are really saying, "I love you!"

I answered the dozen quickly, but now I am going to have a bit of introspection and ask myself if I am really a pessimist.

2cats said...

I love to vacuum too. But my chiropractor says not to so for a while now I can only watch as my husband does it. I miss it.

auburnchick said...

Oh man...my daughter would have answered the "be careful" sentiment, as that is what I say to her every time she leaves. She is, however, 17, and I tell her all the time that moms are supposed to say those kinds of things.

Heth said...

So it doesn't get any better when they get older? Dang, I was hoping that someday my house would be clean.

LISSALYNN2006 said...

i so want to participate but so do not know hw to d

LISSALYNN2006 said...

ok i think i did this right, i really like this meme i think its called. lol