Wednesday, June 06, 2012

June 6, 2012 "National Day of Running"

Wordle: Running


Today is National Running Day. I'll be running 6 miles to celebrate.

To commemorate this event, I created a word cloud of images or ideas that come to mind when I run. I realize it's fuzzy. You can click on it to see it better.

I didn't start running until I was in my early 30s. I was amazed at what my "old" body could do when I asked it to perform like that. Wow, would I ever like to have that "old" body back now.

I have never run fast, far or flawlessly. In fact, I'm slow, and I never know how a run will end, even if I'm running an identical route to the day before. It could be great; it could be terrible. And my style is sometimes wonky. I hardly pick up my knees or feet.

 However.

 I can run a half marathon at age 49. And yes, I am proud of that.



John Bingham once said,

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."

Today I join with millions of others who know the thrill of which I'm speaking. I run for all of the words in the cloud. I run because there is nothing else like it on earth. If I could have one natural talent, one gift given for sheer personal enjoyment, it would not be a mansion or expensive car or vacation home or lucrative career. I would choose to run like the wind. "Dear God. When I get to heaven, please let me be Your fleet-footed messenger!" And I would run like the young Clark Kent in this, one of my favorite movie clips ever:



5 comments:

LynnMarie said...

It's raining here so I will run on the treadmill thank you. You have every reason to be proud that you can run any distance at all. You go girl!

Susanne said...

I must admit the running bug has not come anywhere near me. But I wouldn't mind jumping like he does in the clip. Have a great time on your run!

Mocha with Linda said...

I envy you. I have never liked to run. I have horrible form, there is no pleasure before, during, or after, and it gives me a migraine. Kudos to you!

Yolanda said...

I want to run like the wind as well, won't that be amazing in heaven???

Carmen said...

Love your word cloud, and the fact you can run! You look great, and I see you're enjoying your freedom, forward momentum, fresh air, and accomplishment with determination! Cheers! :)