Monday, August 18, 2014

Puppy Love Lives On -- Boy Bands


Forty-one years ago, about this time in the evening, I was screaming my little teeny bopper head off in the Indiana State Fair grandstand--one tiny, screaming ant-like creature with stringy hair and bell bottom pants, in the midst of thousands of similar screaming ants. It was amazing.

I was 11 years old. I thought I was 16.

Well, I got over Donny quickly in middle school because I saw boys I had never seen before, and HELLO, never looked back. Then when I was in high school and news broke of Donny's marriage, I had to suffer the indignity of all the teasing because I had carried that Osmond lunch box in elementary school like a purple metal engagement ring that always smelled like peanut butter. I deserved the teasing.

I still love purple, however. That was not a convenient adjustment of the moment just to win Donny. I have always loved it. I don't still love that jumpsuit, however.

I titled this post, "Puppy Love Lives On" because tonight, my youngest daughter is on her way to Nashville with a group of friends to see the biggest boy band in the world, One Direction. I almost typed "One Dimension," because I'm old and don't pay attention to boy bands anymore, but boy bands never die; they just reincarnate. There's just something about a boy band, isn't there?






This would be me at about that age. Note that I'm indeed wearing purple. Try not to note the white tennis shoes and socks.









That is also me in that second pic. Still wearing the purple. You won't believe this, but my picket fence teeth grew mostly together without braces. I have no idea.


Anyway, here's to boy bands, not as "Sweet and Innocent" as they used to be, but still charming and "Stil-ish." See what I did there? (That's Harry Stiles of One Dementia. I mean One Direction.)

Have fun, Kristin!


2 comments:

Susanne said...

Well hello there Stranger! Nice to see you back making me laugh. Oh the Donny days. I was in my late late teens when I finally saw him in concert. And I finally saw Backstreet Boys just a few months ago. Best concert ever! I may or may not have been on my feet dancing the whole time. I did however control my screaming to a bare minimum because I was with my daughter and didn't want to embarrass her.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Hi, Susanne! Backstreet Boys trumped the Osmonds??