Friday, April 11, 2008

La Fiesta is Happenin' Here!

medium button

Welcome to the party! "No herbals Espinoza! Lo Siento, Amigas!"

But I do speak fashion, quite a bit on this blog, as a matter of fact. Not that I am someone who unveils new trends or shops in upscale stores. But Kohls now has Vera Wang, so I am finally somebody. (As soon as I pick up something from that Vera Wang collection at Kohls.)

The fashion advice that I occasionally throw out so effortlessly is influenced by (i.e. is completely stolen from) TLC's What Not to Wear. And this would be the point where I digress (you regulars know what's coming, don't you?) to tell all of you who are visiting here for the first time that I have not only indeed met Clinton Kelly, but better than that, have received an email from him regarding my posts about him.

I'll let you have a sec to just sit a while with that amazing fact so that you and my best moment in life can become acquainted.

Just recalling the excitement of that moment has nearly sapped all of my emotional energy to continue now, so let's all breathe deeply and pull ourselves back together for this party.

Because fashion waits for no woman. (Now that is a great advertising slogan. That tagline would make women want to get out there and shop before fashion catches a train for the next town and they're left out in the cold. Even the savviest, most capable, successful woman wants a pair of shoes that says, "I can bring home the pre-cooked bacon, fry it up in the microwave and be sassy-cute while I'm at it, too. Now where did I put my Sandra Lee cocktail?")

And now the Fiesta:

In the category for the nomination of "Newest Additions" is this top from Kohls, on sale, $14.99. It's long, covering the tummy and rear generously, and the upper arms. I like the fact that it ties in back, so I can give it some shape. My favorite necklines are V's, though. I love the feminine color on this with the taupe and black stripe at the bottom. I want to get a really long chunky necklace to wear with it. It's actually a pretty coral, and the wall in the background is sage green, but the colors are washed out in these pics.










But I also recently bought this gray and yellow blouse at B. Moss and this white gathered blouse. The blue scarf on the blouse cost more than the blouse, and so I rock, quite frankly.










In the category for the nomination of "Oldest and Probably Worst Outfit Which is Inexplicably Still in My Closet" is this lavender (my favorite color) sort of skort thingy with padded shoulders and a really shiny lapel which makes the whole thing look like a bad tux. I wore this one Easter in the mid 90s. It is a sentimental favorite, and I can't seem to throw it away.










In the category for the nomination of "Best Outerwear" is this bright green spring jacket, which garners lots of positive comments. I purchased it at Target a couple of years ago. Good judgment did not elude me for once.










I work in an office, but it is a relaxed atmosphere. As in, 3 out of 5 days I wear jeans, a blouse with a jacket, or sweater. Occasionally, though, there is a need to dress up a tad, and this suit gets the nod for "Most Professional" in my closet:









And how about this for "Most Feminine/Flirtatious"? Who doesn't love a feminine cami with just a few sparklies here and there. I love to wear this under sweaters and light weight jackets.










"Glamor" is not a huge requirement in my life. It's not even a tiny requirement. It's actually nonexistent. But this is as close as it gets. I like the pink band under the bustline that ties in the back. Again, I appreciate clothes that flow away from the bod but at some point have some tailored shape. That flatters every figure.










The piece that qualifies for the category of "Most Coveted" by others is this pair of trouser jeans (a term/article of clothing I learned about thanks to What Not to Wear.) Now, these look terribly shapeless and el-huge-o here but honestly, I'm not kidding, I get compliments every single time I wear them, and I wear them a lot. I am hoping God will bless them and they will never wear out, like the Israelites' clothing in the dessert.










Finally, my outfit of choice, my favorite, hands down, which could also be nominated for "Most Comfortable" or "Best Supporting Role" or "The Outfit I Want to Be Buried In" is a black turtleneck, comfortable but stylish jeans and black ankle-high boots with square or pointed, but never round, toe.

And here's a final peek at part of my closet. The main colors are black, white, blue, purple and red. But black rules!


At work in the black turtleneck. Have a great party! And here's a final tip to help you make great fashion choices in the future: "Remember--Clinton Kelly is Linda's close, personal friend." That may not help you all, but it does wonders for me.

31 comments:

MoodyBlue said...

Love the outfit of choice/Best Supporting Role/Buried In. That is a "me" type of outfit. I dress casual all the time for work. Love it!

Line of the day Linda is...
"I am hoping God will bless them and they will never wear out, like the Israelites' clothing in the dessert."

You are too funny!! Have a great day!

Keetha said...

Good morning, Linda. I see you went with "real" fashion - - - unlike moi who went crazy blue.

Hey, when I was posting my fashion "statement" this morning, I saw that you had been to my blog for the first time, but I think I inadvertently deleted your FIRST comment so I didn't see your "introduction" Come back and tell me all about you. And thanks for coming to my blog.

I see on your profile that you are involved in Youth Ministries. Interesting - - - I have a bit of a connection (or had when I was younger) that way too.

Also - - - I'm going back to my dark circle post and giving you a reply to your comment there.

Toodle-ooooo.

Moriah said...

Oh, oh, oh! I am LAMENTING the fact that when we moved here I am now forced to be without a B Moss.

groovyoldlady said...

That particular shade of green on the spring jacket would make me look like I was trying (unsuccesfully) to recover from malaria, but I DO like the jacket...perhaps in a grey or a icy blue.

Sarah said...

ooh..how fun! I couldn't participate, my closet is a wreck! LOVE the green coat!!

Ann said...

Cute clothes! My closet is pathetic. Seriously. Yesterday was our first really really nice day, everybody was outside. I took the kids out for a walk to the park. Met lots of neighbors (we just moved here in Jan.) and what was I wearing? A black Star Wars 30 year anniversary t-shirt. Yep. Got it straight from the geek fest in L.A. (Star Wars Celebration IV) which actually was a lot of fun.

If only I had the time to shop...and the dollars...and the fashion sense...

BethAnne said...

Girl! I cannot believe Clinton Kelly emailed you !!!! I am sooooo jealous. Love him! Lots!

I just wanted to encourage you - throw the purple easter frock away -- her day is past - you are too beautiful to have to see yourself in the 360 mirror with that on!

Big Mama said...

You can never go wrong with black! I have a few pieces that I'm going to start praying over like the Israelites in the desert.

Thanks for playing, Linda.

dcrmom said...

Love that green jacket! And I'm a sucker for a black turtleneck and jeans and boots.

Thanks for letting us peek into your closet! :-)

Jennifer said...

I would just like to say that I'm glad I'm not the only woman who color-codes her closet. Oh, and I bought some Vera Wang shoes at Kohls and I love that I can now say that I have something "designer." Stacy and Clinton would be proud. And that's really all that matters when it comes to my wardrobe choices.

Darlene R. said...

Well, that was fun! I'm a jeans wearer as well.
I love the green coat. Mine is black and the zipper is broken.
I know, I rock!

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Love the green coat. It's adorable.

And the scarf? I'm swooning.

Nicole said...

I do NOT think it's alarming that we both posted about outfits we want to be buried in. Just normal blog banter, apparently!

And the Israelites in the desert--LOVE. IT.

May God be so gracious to me as well:)

Susanne~LivingToTell said...

I love those 3 shirts and tops. I totally need a new spring wardrobe. I am very lacking in spring and summer clothes. Sigh.

Muddy said...

Fun post. I've definately embraced more black the older I have become. I love the black dress you show with the pink band. What a perfect "glamour" dress to wear.

Marie said...

Please tell me you cleaned your closet before you took that picture? It doesn't always look like that, does it?

Now I covet the closet pin up at another site, AND your real one!

I think I need to clean my closet tomorrow!

Keri said...

I love your slogan! You better copyright it before TLC steals it!!!

Boy & Girl said...

Too cute! I love that green coat.

Leigh said...

Cute clothes! And you are adorable! I enjoyed stopping in !I hope you will come and see my fiesta!

Katie said...

I love, love, love the green jacket! Good buy!

Donna said...

I was reading about your Clinton Kelly experience just the other day. Clinton and Stacy -isms are common place in our house. TFS!

oh amanda said...

I love it. I forgot about you and Clinton. How amazingly cool are you?!

Charnita's Xpressions said...

Love the coral blouse-and the trouser jeans.
Nice to meet you and your fashion sense.
Love your blog!

Heth said...

I want to marry your green jacket. Do you mind if I propose?

So, best Linda line of this post, "I'll let you have a sec to just sit a while with that amazing fact so that you and my best moment in life can become acquainted. "

Can I say again how much you crack me up?

Amy said...

I really, really heart your green jacket. Really.

I guess I'm going to Kohl's tomorrow. It's not at a mall,so I'm down with it. (that's 41-year-old-speak).

The Bayou Belles and Their Beau said...

Really like the pink shirt! But, I am with you on the color black - LOVE it! I really need to continue to add more color to my wardrobe.

Ann said...

Linda, I just want to thank you so much for your really nice comments on my blog. Your comments are so genuine and uplifting! Just really made my heart sing! This summer I'm hoping to be able to trek back to Iowa with the kids to visit family for a few weeks. It would be so wonderful to plan it so that when I pass through Indiana, we could go through your town and go to your church for worship and say hello to you!

Tammy said...

Yes, every time I see a commercial for What not to Wear now I think of you, Linda!

Love these fashions...I can totally see you wearing all of them, too!

Since in this stage of my life I'm a SAHM, home schooling parent on a tight budget, my latest fashion find was my Sea World sweatshirt I bought last week, featuring the ever so slimming Orca Whales.

Come on over and read our adventures...I'm up to Part 2 now!

Kelley at Aroma of Joy said...

Oh I have to check out this party!! Great choices, it is obvious now why you and Clinton Kelly have clicked in such a big way!

Now I'm off to "shop" a little....

PJ said...

Love the green coat. And the organized closet. I have a thing about organizing by color! It's been soooo crazy around here, I haven't had time to join the fiesta...but I see it's open until Monday...I may still make it!! Dare I take a picture of my closet?? Maybe.

angeljoy said...

That coral dress is lovely and I covet the green coat!
Crazy thought:
what if you're wearing the outfit you want to be buried in when you die... do they take it off and wash it or go straight to burial?