Thursday, August 28, 2008

Fun Times, Fun Times and Why I Cannot Lose the Weight

*Edit: Did you know that today is Michael Jackson's 50th birthday???

Last weekend, my fam went to Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH. This is a self portrait of me in our luxurious hotel room. The kids and Jorge went to the park. I stayed back and blogged a little, and then I sat beside the pool and read. We ate out, which completely undid my progress on the Alternate Day Diet. But I'm not giving up, because PJ at Bits and Pieces has lost 12 lbs. on this diet, people. (She always was a show-off, right??) Anyway, we had fun. And just to prove it, here are my girls having fun hurting each other. Les petite filles are brutes.







"A Thing of Beauty is a Joy Forever" is the title of this shot because I love my French manicured toes. Today was Support Staff retreat, which means all of the secretaries, I mean, ministry assistants, have a day of pampering. We met at someone's home where we listened to a counselor talk about avoiding job and life burn-out. Then we each had half-hour massages, and our choice of pedicure, manicure or facial.

Then we had Panera catered in, which was not all that helpful to me in my endeavor to follow the Alternate Day Diet. Some of us swam in the beautiful pool. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the staff were forced to fend for themselves and put their own postage on their letters.

Bet you can't guess what's under this chocolate.

Every Tuesday, I'm in a meeting with the representatives of all of our departments, from nursery to adult ed and all between. There are about 12 of us, 13 if you count the empty chair we leave for Jesus. No joke. It helps us be holy as we discuss why our ideas are better than everyone else's, and to be kind to one another as we explain why their idea will never work as well as the one we just presented before someone else cut us off and started down a whole 'nother path.

But sometimes it doesn't work and we fight over who gets to sit by Jesus. Thus, you can see that we are indeed true disciples aptly named, "The Discipleship Team."

Anyway, two weeks ago, somebody brought up the subject of chocolate-covered bacon, and one thing led to another, until we decided to make this Tuesday "Chocolate Day" because that would definitely help us be more creative and smarter and work together better.

So we each brought in some chocolate of choice. I took my friend's gourmet chocolate bark in espresso and peppermint. Yum. We had the fountain, the fruit, the Puppy Chow, etc., the whole shebang. And one staff member actually fried bacon and coated it in chocolate! So we all tasted that and even took some home for our kids to taste.

And of course, that didn't help my Alternate Day Diet efforts. FYI, the bacon was not that bad. It combined savory with sweet, like chocolate-covered pretzels, sort of, only with grease and fat. And that sure doesn't help anyone on the Alternate Day Diet.

So I'm not doing so well on my diet. But I have been having a lot of fun lately.

32 comments:

DidiLyn said...

Good times. I love the Jesus chair idea and the sad fact that you servants of the Lord argue about who gets to sit by Him. Ha!
Darn, I was hoping that you were going to let me know that the diet was exceeding your wildest expectations. Then I could stop this insanity of carbless, sugarless, blah eating.
Pass the cheese wedges, please.

"MoodyBlue" Jodi said...

I think that may be one of the most beautiful things I've heard all week - saving a chair for Jesus. I love it!!

Chocolate is my weakness Linda. Yum!

Diane of Crafty Passions said...

That was funny!!!!
Diane

PJ said...

Sounds like terrific fun. This week has been terrible...Food-wise. I can't seem to find an alternate day!! They all disappeared!! Monday school started....food...food...food. Tuesday we were all to bring a dish to pass. I had requests for the hashbrown casserole I make. So another teacher and I decided to do breakfast instead of contributing to lunch. So I made a yummy egg casserole with Onion Rolls (Over at Confessions of a Pioneer Woman) and the hashbrown. So, of course I had to eat some. (The potatoes have about 15 lbs of grease in them including butter, sour cream, cheese, and cream soup. ALL of them) Then Wednesday, we had the leftovers left from the lunch which included fried chicken and potato salad. Not to mention DOVE BARS. Yep! Some really cute new first year teacher brought Dove bars. He knows how to make points with middle-aged female teachers!!! Then today is parent night. I could eat skimpily today -- needed my energy to work from 8AM until 8 AM. Sigh!!!

Gotta get back on this diet. It really works. Although I haven't gained anything in spite of the food I just mentioned!!! That in itself is amazing!!!

But chocolate covered Bacon! That is intriguing!!

Linda said...

You crack me up! I think I would probably like bacon w/chocolate on it! I like potato chips w/chocolate...have you had that?

Kim said...

Why is it that everytime we have great intentions to eat well & lose weight.... we have all these yummy temptations placed in front of us. I love the idea of leaving an empty chair for Jesus...

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Okay, I love chocolate covered ALMOST anything...pretzels, raisins, and especially coffee beans. But BACON? Really?

Wow. Cuz that's just wow.
:-)

Heth said...

So, in theory, if you ate out, ate Panera, and ate chocolate covered bacon every other day with healthy mature things on the in between days, you would be ok and still lose 12 pounds? Is that how it works? :)

Susanne said...

Last year Tropical Pink toes, this year French, next year? Can hardly wait to see. :v)

Twelve pounds? Really? Maybe I've got to check this diet out.

Smilingsal said...

Chocolate covered fried bacon? That's just sick!

skoots1mom said...

pedi, massage, pool, book..sounds like a perfect day to me!
I know you're glad you had some time away with family.

Chatty Kelly said...

What fun! Is your church hiring? Oh nevermind, I already missed the retreat.

We made choc covered strawberries last night. yum!

sara said...

Cedar Point! I miss going to Cedar Point! what is your favorite coaster there. My diet is not going so well either, I am excersising just fine, but that chocolate that I brought back from Romania keeps calling my name, so does the chocolate Blue bell ice cream in the freezer...do you think duct tape would work?!

Darlene R. said...

We love Cedar Point! I am a roller coaster freak! I love them.

Anyway, have you ever had chocolate covered potato chips? Those suckers are addictive and would probably NOT be on your diet!

Dena @ Green Acres said...

We have always left a chair empty during our Christmas meal. When our kids were little it was known as "Jesus' birthday chair". We have birthday cake and sing happy birthday to him. But I like the idea of having the empty chair more often.

Seized by Hope said...

I am laughing at your team fighting over who gets to sit by Jesus...hilarious.

Jen said...

Well, here's some encouragement -- you certainly don't LOOK like you need to lose weight! :)

xox

Marina said...

I agree with Jodi saving your set fo Jesus ")

I hate diets!! thats why I always learning to eat right and plus you are already working out don't worry you look good enjoy yourself.
") marina

Becky said...

Ooo, chocolate covered bacon. I must try it! Like Spam ala mode or french fries dipped in milkshake... a classic for sure.

And I can't believe Mikey is 50! Weird. I wonder if he will have any celebratory work done?

Teri~Facedown said...

Maybe you should have tried chocolate covered beef jerky instead, only because the grease is sucked out of it already.

Ummm, that is just gross!

So anyway Lid, how are ya?

samurai said...

Um, 2 things...

1) No way Michael is 50! LOL

2) Chocolate covered bacon! Really?!? I dunno...

Keep us up on how the diet thing is going...

Chel - An Abiding Branch said...

Wow! Ya'll hirin? The commute shouldn't be to much. lol

Breanne Vasquez said...

I love baconand chocolate but togather. Yuck.

Ballerina Girl said...

well, diet or not...at least you had fun!
I didn't do that well on mine either today...
if you read at my blog, you'll see it is a girls weekend for me and my daughter and we had mcdonald's for dinner!
AGH!
have a good weekend!

Fran said...

chocolate covered bacon?? Nope...not gonna do it! :)

And, Michael Jackson turning 50 is just weird isn't it?? Maybe because he's weird.

Denise said...

Cedar Point! I'm a buckeye that spent summers visiting relatives in Sandusky...I love Cedar Point!

Laurie Ann said...

What fun! Your toes are pretty. I love the Jesus chair idea and the chocolate day. You cannot go wrong with that. :)

Stonefox (otherwise known as Heidi) said...

I'm lovin' the toes! Sounds like one big party going on over there!

My ADHD Me said...

Bacon I love. I'm one of the few (very few) that isn't too crazy about chocolate. I'll take a slice of cheesecake or apple pie ala mode over chocolate any day. Chatty Kelly thinks that's crazy. She LOVES chocolate!

jennifer said...

So --- did you ride any of the wooden coasters there?

Last time we went, I thought that I was going to DIE after riding one too many of those crazy death traps. YIKES!!!!

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Chocolate and bacon? Really?

Roxanne said...

I think the idea of an empty chair for Jesus is great. . .and I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't intend bacon to be covered in chocolate. . .not that he ever ate either--being Jewish, and nowhere near South America while on this planet as a human in need of food. . .I'm just sayin'.