Sunday, January 11, 2009

Contest With a Prize: I Challenge You to a "Mug-Off!"

OHMYGOSH look at this bee-utiful button! A gorgeous "mug" on a gorgeous mug!

Seriously -- is that not the ugliest coffee mug you've ever seen?

What? You think you've got one that's uglier?

Uglier than ... THIS?:


Oh dear, I can't believe I'm admitting this, but this is an actual mug in my actual cabinet. Due to the hard water mineral deposits and the practice painting for my Christmas goblets, I have decided this mug is no longer usable by humans. Or maybe even nonhumans. It is going in the trash. Except I think something this ugly might have the strength to come back from the trash. Or the dead.

Do you, too, have tan ugly mug--really ugly-- that you need to burn or blow up but are afraid to?

Then I challenge you: Break its evil power! Show it off to the world in an "Ugly Mug-off" to be chosen by the mass public (well, anyway, people who read your blog and mine) on Monday, January 26th, 2009.

The Prize: Starbucks Card! Yes, fifteen dollars at Starbucks goes to the person with the ugliest mug chosen by votes left in my comments section on January 26th.

How to do play:

Beginning now or any time between now and the 26th,

1. Put the beautiful pirate button above on your sidebar. (Required) Here is the code:



2. Choose whichever way(s) you think will garner you the most votes:

A. Post a pic of yourself with the ugly mug in your sidebar under the button.
B. Write a post including the pic of yourself with the mug and directions on how to go to my site to vote on the 26th.

Personally, if I were a contestant, I would post the required button, then I would add my pic under it so that people could already see my mug and me. Then on the day before or day of the contest (Jan 26th) I'd write a post including that pic again and beg people to go vote for me at 2nd Cup. You could even do a video imploring people to take pity upon you, if you'd like. In your post, tell us the history of how you became the owner of that mug, etc. Connect with us emotionally. Draw us in. Grip us with drama and conflict and repulsion and compassion.

See? It's easy.

Rules:
You must indeed own said mug and will prove this by posting a picture of yourself with said mug.
Must be a coffee mug, not a tall travel thingy or cup. M-U-G. Look it up on Wikipedia.
You must Ken Lee coffee. Please don't enter and say, "But I don't like coffee" because you're entering a coffee mug contest with a Starbucks prize, Hello. And if you won, then coffee lovers would have to come looking for you to make you walk the plank.
No early voting.
No absentee ballots.
No hanging Chads.
Winner announced on the 27th.
One vote per person allowed.
You may not vote for yourself because, duh.

So let's see your ugly mug!

29 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

You are hilarious. I went through a bunch of my mugs not too long ago to get more cabinet room, but I'll have to see what I have.

I certainly would hate to do this wrong or you might send the Blog Boogieman to mug me.

Susanne said...

LOL. Too fun! I'm going to have to dig through the stash downstairs to see if I have anything worthy of this fine contest. Unfortunately with the girl moving last fall, everything was gone through and I'm sure there was a big second hand store send off of ugly things.

On a side note, we used to have a coffee shop in town called "The Ugly Mug" and they served their coffee in a myriad of really strange mugs. They had hundreds of the weirdest, ugliest coffee mugs you ever did see. Unfortunately they shut down last year.

Misty said...

I had to comment b/cs i think this contest is hilarious, and yes, that is one ugly mug! as a former employee of the ugly mug coffee studio, i wish we still had a brick-and-mortar with which to bestow winners of your little prize, but they do have a website... and sell coffee. would you reconsider your starbucks card and offer a 1/2 lb of gourmet coffee instead? it's fair trade and delicious, and well, ugly!!! (i promise i in no way get anything but sheer bliss in just mentioning the name ugly mug... i have a huge heart for that awesome company and their vision!!) www.uglymugcoffee.com just in case!!! (ps. i pray that this doesn't fit spam category.. please just delete this if it's inapropriate!)

Becky said...

OOOOOoooo... fun... I'll see what I can dig up. I'm pretty sure all my mugs are socially acceptable though, lol.

Ballerina Girl said...

hi! Happy New Year...
you know this is so funny, but I really don't have an ugly one. This almost makes me want to go out and find an ugly pone, hahahaha!
I am so picky about my mugs....let me see though, there may still be a homemade one from one of the kids.
BG

Kim said...

I had a couple truly ugly mugs but Alas! I left them behind in the U.S. I think even Goodwill refused them they were so ugly.

But I'll have fun seeing other ugly mugs and hearing their stories :-)

beckyjomama said...

DERN! I threw away all of the ugly mugs a couple of years ago!

But, wait, do plastic McDonald's mugs that a certain Hubby refuses to get rid of - even though I have bought him no less than half a dozen fine travel mugs since the paint started chipping away and the dishwasher warped that one side - count?

Chatty Kelly said...

Love the idea! And the pun...as my mug is quite lovely, but I may own an ugly mug. LOL! Ken Lee YOU!

Pam from alertandorientedx4 said...

I actually OWN a Pirate Tobey mug bu Royal Doulton..really ugly...and several more Tobeys that are equally ugly. I don't think anyone has EVER drunk out of them tho'....
oh, my....I have to go a diggin'

My ADHD Me said...

I don't drink coffe so I just have one set of dusty mugs that are never used.
I CAN tell you my FAVORITE mug. It is at Chatty Kelly's house and it says I Heart Ken Lee. :)

Marsha said...

I have just the mug! and a story to go with it!

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Awww man! I knew I shouldn't have thrown out those old mugs before we moved. :>)

I got nothin.

I kinda like your mug. It makes me want to say "arrrhh" or "Top o the morning to ya!"

Greg C said...

Sooooooooo this is how you planned on stealing my thunder. It won't work I tell you. Ok it will and yes I have a mug to post so since I kind of like you, I will play along. But you just wait.

Beverlydru said...

I'll have to go to the bottom of the Goodwill bag pile that I have ready for a give-away trip. I'm sure there is a UGLY one in the pile. Too funny.

Becoming Me said...

This is oh too funny. I want to play---but I don't have any ugly mugs. Can I take on and make it ugly? Or perhaps I can find an ugly one at Dollar Tree.

Teri~Facedown said...

Listen missy. (That sounds really scary right?) I happen to ken lee TEA...NOT coffee. I like coffee, but coffee does not like me, so I drink coffee's little brother, TEA. BUT, I happen to enjoy a big ol' mug of tea, not a little dainty tea cup full. (Read, thimble.)

So, since I am ineligible for your contest, because I am going to choose the higher road and not lie about a ken lee for coffee..I will just tell you that really, it is discrimination. :)

I don't really have a hideous mug anyway. :(

Patrice said...

I KEN LEE this!! You know, it's a crying shame to run such a contest when the majority of your readers are Starbuck addicts! I am sure this will be a blood bath!! You are on, sista!!!!

The Bayou Belles and Their Beau said...

I love this idea. However, my coffee is too precious to exist in an ugly mug. So, I don't have any. Boo. But, can't wait to see the others.

Roxanne Kristina said...

I love it! I recently de-junked so no ugly mugs, but I will enjoy following along.

R

Roxanne Kristina said...

I love it! I recently de-junked so no ugly mugs, but I will enjoy following along.

R

Susan said...

Since I don't drink coffee, I'm going to sit this one out. Not that I don't have "ugly mugs" in my cabinet, cause I'm sure I do!

I just wanted to applaud you on your creativity!

Hugs,

Susan

Mel said...

ok i fun contest, i have no ugly coffee mugs because well i am strange and bizzare like that...but i could not get your button to work on my blog, wahhhhhhhhh...

Paula (SweetPea) said...

You are too funny. I don't have an ugly mug...at least not a coffe mug. hehe. I try to be funny.

Even if I did have an ugly mug to enter...I definitely have no business having a Starbucks card. I think I would go into cardiac arrest. Regular coffee gives me the shakes with the caffeine. I hate to see what Starbucks would do. I've only had it once and it had to be half water and half coffee. Of course my dad tells me "no, no, you have to get the coffee with all the sugar and goop added." Okay dad, you can say that because you are as thin as a bean pole. hehe

Joanna said...

Starbucks does sell hot chocolate and tea but I have a feeling you would say doesn't count. What if I just like to smell coffee? I could sniff it for days but I just can't drink it. Wha? Still doesn't count?? *sigh*

Barb said...

I am going to have to see what I can find, but I don't think I can top that mug of yours...LOL....

By the way....I have a little present waiting for you over on my blog...make sure to come and get it....

Patricia said...

Oh, Linda...if only you had posted this before I last went mug shopping!

My family insist that for every new mug I buy, I must get rid of one I already have. I am a collector (particularly of Starbucks cups) and we have cups/mugs in cabinets (yes, multiple), boxes, on shelves.

I confess, I am addicted to coffee mugs....I don't know if I can find an ugly one....ahhh, but my dh drinks out of one he is remarkably fond of and I am not! Perhaps I'll submit his gorgeous mug sipping from his ugly mug!

Mommy, the Human Napkin said...

I am now going to look through every last mug I own and see if I have any that qualify! I haven't purged my cabinets in a very long while, so I'm sure I have at least one ugly mug in there somewhere!

Oh, and I love coffee. So I am definitely going to be entering this contest, even if my mug is only semi-ugly. There's always the chance that I'm too lenient with the looks of my mugs and that a mug I think is only slightly ugly will be repulsive to someone else and they'll vote for me. :)

A Gracious Home said...

I don't have an ugly mug. I doubt anyone could beat your pirate mug. I have enjoyed reading the comments and I put the mug on my site before I read that I needed an ugly mug of my own. Doylene

rita said...

I recently cleared out a bunch of mugs. I had one left, not necessarily ugly but incongruous when next to my mug/face. I snapped a photo anyway and posted it in my weekly photo memories. I was wavering about entering your contest. Then just could NOT figure out requirement #1 even though I have managed the button thing before. That must have been a sign from God that I was wasting too much time on such foolishness ;). I directed readers to your blog anyway :)
Blessings!